BRIGHT EYES (+ 11-piece band) - Whelan's this Sat (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
POD.ie presents the next great American songwriter…

BRIGHT EYES

+ special guests from Saddle Creek Records, Nebraska…

THE GOOD LIFE
AZURE RAY

Whelan’s, Wexford St

Sat 9th November 2002. Doors 8pm.

Tickets €14.50 from usual outlets.

This Saturday see the visit of the most exciting songwriter to emerge from the US underground in a long time and an act that are being tipped to become the major force for the next number of years – 22-year old Conor Oberst and his band BRIGHT EYES which will travel as an eleven-piece band including a string section for this date. Those who saw BRIGHT EYES stuff Whelan’s with a 5-piece band last year will be particularly excited about the return with the full live show.

This tour will be to promote the release of BRIGHT EYES widely-acclaimed recent fourth album – ‘Lifted Or…’. The band will feature members of Bright Eyes Nebraska-based record company Saddle Creek – The Good Life and Azure Ray – each of whom will also play 30 minutes sets at the show.

“What an album – just when you thought he couldn’t get any better… Those who love it will come to do so with desparate force” Mojo

“Stunning. 3/3” Sunday Times

“On the strength of his fourth album, the American press are already comparing Conor Oberst to a young Bob Dylan. For once it’s no exaggeration to say he creeps closer to that rarified realm than any other songwriter of his generation.” NME

“A breathtakingly beautiful record.” Timeout

BRIGHT EYES

"Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil. . ." is the much anticipated fifth album from the prodigiously talented Conor Oberst and his Bright Eyes ensemble. This is a landmark album proclaiming Oberst the voice of his generation.

Born 1980 in Omaha, Nebraska and recording since the age of 13, Conor owns a voice that quakes with the tumultuous energy that only youth can produce. Oberst's music and dark poetry paint intricate pictures of love, despair and salvation. He is nothing short of genius.

"The Story Is In The Soil" was written by Oberst and played by him and the notable cast of Bright Eyes players. Oberst's mainstay production team of Mike Moggis (Lullaby For The Working Classes) and Andy Lemaster (Now It's Overheard) lend performances on the record along with other noteworthy Omaha musicians including Todd and Clarke Baechle (The Faint), Orenda Fink and Maria Taylor (Azure Ray), Matt Maginn and Clint Schnase (Cursive), and Jiha Lee (The Good Life).

Bright Eyes most recent tour of the US was a triumph. Each and every night sold out; Oberst giving a performance worthy of the young Dylan. He took to the stage in a powder blue suit, surrounded by six beautiful female musicians, his sense of bona fide showmanship entrancing his audience. At the two shows at New York's Bowery Balllroom, one could hear a pin drop between songs as an audience was left in awe - proof positive that Oberst has arrived.

It is anticipated that Bright Eyes will tour the UK in the Autumn. A limited edition EP - five hundred copies - entitled "There Is No Beginning To The Story" will be released in July prior to the album's release.

Conor Oberst on the LP "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil Keep Your Ear To The Ground":

The Big Picture - "This is the introduction, the doorway into the record. You see you are sitting in your car on a rainy day absent-mindedly staring at the road while the music plays and then somewhere mid song you are "sucked in" to the tape deck through that little swinging door, where you remain for the next 70 so minutes. It's sort of like that movie "The Never-Ending Story" where the little kid gets sucked into that fat old book.

Method Acting - "The first proper song on the record. It is about the physical act of singing, from the chants of ancient peoples to the howling of wild dogs, we just can't live without it."

False Advertising- "Think people from some other time - big dresses and suits with coat -tails - dancing in perfect unison in some beautiful banquet hall or on the deck of a ship. But the set is an obvious facade, like in a musical. But because of the expressions on their faces it is oh so believable."

You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will. - "The title says it all. It's about first loves, going home and peoples' inabilities to ever make up their minds."

Lover I Don't Have To Love - "A sad song about sex, drugs, and . . .rock n roll."

Bowl of Oranges - "The most optimistic song I have ever written. It makes me feel good to sing it. Some days it feels more true than others."

Don't Know When But A Day Is Gonna Come - "A long song but it used to be longer. I cut some verses out. I wrote all the words in one sitting, which doesn't happen that often for me. I like the last few measures with all the drums it makes me think of people being beheaded."

Nothing Gets Crossed Out. "About worrying too much and having insane amounts of love for old friends. (Look for The Good Life's record “Blackout" available in the U.K. this fall on Wichita)"

Make War - "A country song about certain city girls."

Waste of Paint - "A thousand words and only three chords."

From a Balance Beam - "I like the bass line a lot in this song as well as the hammer dulcmer. And the general lushness of it all. It’s about mistakes, miracles, media, polarity, rebirth, fear and fate and some other shit like love and language."

Laura Laurent - "I used to hang with a girl named Laura Laurent who lives in Chicago, IL or South Bend, IN or Los Angeles CA. I'm not sure where."

Lets Not Shit Ourselves - "This is the final, longest and loudest song on the record... it covers many topics lyrically but has one basic message...Love Love Love while there is still time."

Originally posted by billygannon
The Christmas Apes?

Yeah Billy, the christmas apes. They were contracted in by Santy cause the elves this year when on strike, therefore eliminating the chances of all the toys being shipped on Dec 24th. Dispute involved the elves plea for recognition of said toys. They no longer wanted some corporate taking ownership of their products. Santy was not pleased so told all to fuck off for a while.

That's why this year, all toys will come with a sticker...may contain traces of nut....the apes were allowed eat on the job. And boy do those bastards like nuts.

Originally posted by Deaglan
POD.ie presents the next great American songwriter…

BRIGHT EYES
+ special guests from Saddle Creek Records, Nebraska…

THE GOOD LIFE
AZURE RAY

THE GOOD LIFE stink.
like a really, really poor man's bright eyes or a bad Cure cover band. still, i'd like them to prove me wrong on Saturday.

AZURE RAY, on the other hand, sound deadly. like really nice Mazzy Star or Low.

really lookin forward to this gig buh'

Originally posted by Anthony
and I thought The Good Life were going to be a Weezer tribute band.

now that would be fun. those damn bastards (weezer) have never played Ireland, i think.

Although, they have kinda gone down the hill in the last while. I mean maladroit was written and fucking remixed a million times, while the fans were enflicted with all the demos on the official site.

Songs like gone fishin and burnt jamb rocked when they wrote them first, then they managed to turn them into vomit.

Also, I was kinda tee-ed off that they fired Mikey and replaced him with a prisoner guard looking fellar. Mikey was cool. When I saw them in Paris, he was off his fucking face. Class.

I love weezer reckids but since seeing them in London it's just not the same. The only played one song from Pinkerton and only played for a little over an hour. Plus they had a kind of snotty aragance about them (maybe just percieved). Their albums still rock though and I think Maladroit is brilliant.

Whenever the work pressure is on I always stick on Pinkerton, I can work 10 times faster while listening to that album. One of my all time favourites.

Originally posted by enchance
those damn bastards (weezer) have never played Ireland, i think.

Not a single once. It's all about the fans eh? And fucking Bright Eyes who is but a boy and would *obviously* have the same kind of tour support as a band like Weezer (yuh right) has played here like three times!!!
I hate Maladroit (except for Slave) and I don't like the Green album except for a couple of songs. I keep buying these albums thinking, 'right, this has to be the turnaround album. Maybe they've got back to 'the good life''. But no, I waste my money every time.
I was listening to Pinkerton last night though - it's so great it makes me sad. And I've been listening to that little B-sides collection a lot again as well, the one with 'I just threw out the love of my dreams'. *sigh*

Yeah, I don't have the original version. A friend of mine got it in New York and it's got loads of stuff on it like the aforementioned ...Love of My Dreams with Rachel Haden from That Dog singing and there's a cover of Velouria and a song called You Gave Your Love To Me Softly and a cute song called Carli and Michael...It's great. I'll make a copy for you if you like.

PINKERTON .|..| .|..| .|..|.|..| x 1,000,000. One of the best records of the last 10 years (see my whole 'golden age' spew in that thread). Funny, another case of the album that shifted the fewest units being the best a band's ever done. I'm serious about this--- who wantsta be a band for the craic, does only pinkerton start to finish!?! I'll play drums! That record is about the best straight up "rock" drumming of note. Psycho, is it bass or guit you play!?!? Who wants to be rivers? I'm tellin' ya, I'll be there in mid-Jan for like 4 months...must rock... while there....

YeeHAR ! Dubh, it don't matter - I can play BOTH dude. Heh. Truly that is one of my favourite albums too. I want to play guitar on the good life though 'kay? Don't know if I want to be Rivers though. He's a bit moody like.
Do you think Pinkerton bombed because El Scorcho was their first release from it?

'tired of sex' SHOULD have been the big single/should've sold a gadzillion copies, grammys, pulitzers, nobel prizes... I actually do the singin' drummer bit but it's boring as hell to watch a singing drummer! anyways, I'd love to be in a band that did even that one song over and over for an hour--THERE'S a concept--tribute bands that just do one song! That drumming should be required listening for anybody who wants to play "rock" drums. Hey, you can hear me playin drums on the mp3's at www.hoovercain.com "she says you're awful" is probably a good place to start. And like Herv predicted in the "golden age" thread, it's ambient skiffle. Or we actually call it 21st century skiffle. anyways, we must play pinkerton. I can't bring my kit, but I'm prolly sending my cymbals and kick pedal for recording anyways... I'm sure one could be obtained on yer side the pond...

Originally posted by Anthony
Sounds like a load of downloaded stuff burnt to cd. Deadly.

Yeah, that album definitely sounds like a burnt at home cd. None the less, all the old b-sides are excellent. Love of my dreams is perfect, that Haden girl has a lovely voice. I have the first that dog album, everytime i see the others, i usually have no money.

Another weezer-ish band to check out is ozma. Rivers is a fan and they've supported weezer in the states many a time. I picked up their album (surprisingly) in Barcelona. They have loads of mp3s at mp3.com/ozma. You should download the acoustic version of 'game over' (i think its still there).

Yup, as I said, I never saw the original thing - just got me a nice little copy. I know he bought it in a shop though :confused: Bootleggy maybe? I dunno. All I knows is I likes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back