Breatharianism....what a load of codswallop! (1 Viewer)

Supposed to be deadly, but I heard that from Americans, whose opinions are not to be trusted.

*narrows eyes

Wee won't contain much other than water if yr not taking in toxins.

The mentality of not having to kill or destroy anything in order to live really isn't that outree. It's more embarassing that someone can't conceive of why someone might attempt to, as much as possible, leave the world as they found it. That's real evolution - eliminate the verminous qualities of the human being. Stop shitting in our own nest, so to speak.

Much better, I'd say, than wasting huge amounts of grain to fatten animals in order to create a meat mountain of surplus.

chickenham said:
That's real evolution - eliminate the verminous qualities of the human being. Stop shitting in our own nest, so to speak.
the phraseology used here implies that evolution is 'progression' along a set moral path, which is a lamarckian fallacy. evolution is the process of living organisms adapting to a given environment via the method of natural selection, and therefore there is no such thing as 'real' or 'less real' evolution (or of organisms being 'more' or 'less' evolved). sayin.

chickenham said:
Wee won't contain much other than water if yr not taking in toxins.

The mentality of not having to kill or destroy anything in order to live really isn't that outree. It's more embarassing that someone can't conceive of why someone might attempt to, as much as possible, leave the world as they found it. That's real evolution - eliminate the verminous qualities of the human being. Stop shitting in our own nest, so to speak.

Much better, I'd say, than wasting huge amounts of grain to fatten animals in order to create a meat mountain of surplus.

wasn't that vegetarians are stupid thread one o' yours?

beetleonitsback said:
the phraseology used here implies that evolution is 'progression' along a set moral path, which is a lamarckian fallacy. evolution is the process of living organisms adapting to a given environment via the method of natural selection, and therefore there is no such thing as 'real' or 'less real' evolution (or of organisms being 'more' or 'less' evolved). sayin.

May I be so bold as to suggest he meant "real" to mean change coming from decisions and action as opposed to the unthinking biological evolution which is a moulded by the environment?
With our brains and opposable digits, we have a power to alter the environment no other species does. Can humans evolve in a self-conscious way by treating the world and those in it better? It's something to aim for anyway.

Bag'o'cans said:
But
MessageBoard.jpg
was skeptical too til someone told him this

"do I really think that the universe/creator/call it what you may.. would have evolved/created beings that would let sacred sperm leave through a channel which is otherwise used for toxic waste..?"

fair point.
also de babees come out the gicker.

but maybe sperm isnt sacred.so its ok for it leave through the same channel as piss.also babies aren't sacred.if anything there a screaming pile of original sin

desertedvillage said:
May I be so bold as to suggest he meant "real" to mean change coming from decisions and action as opposed to the unthinking biological evolution which is a moulded by the environment?
yeah, i know... but then he shouldn't have used the word 'evolution', as this still implies the fallacy of 'concious' evolution.

desertedvillage said:
With our brains and opposable digits, we have a power to alter the environment no other species does. Can humans evolve in a self-conscious way by treating the world and those in it better? It's something to aim for anyway.
we can progress in a self-concious way, make better decisions based on moral intuition, and treat the world and everything in it better, but it's not evolution.

in other news: devo - most unscientifically-named band of all time! evolutionary fallacy reduced to four letters!

To be fair to me though, the idea of evolution is applied to ideas and processes all the time so even though it's divorced from the strict meaning of the word, it has taken on another one.

To be fair I don't think the accusation of Lamarckism really applies in this instance. At all.

hanley said:
but maybe sperm isnt sacred.so its ok for it leave through the same channel as piss.also babies aren't sacred.if anything there a screaming pile of original sin
Ye wouldn't piss in yer wallet though would ye?
(i literally have no idea what i'm talking about)

chickenham said:
To be fair to me though, the idea of evolution is applied to ideas and processes all the time so even though it's divorced from the strict meaning of the word, it has taken on another one.
i hear ya. like how, say, inxs are evolving, in such a classy manner, in that tv show.

ICUH8N said:
To be fair I don't think the accusation of Lamarckism really applies in this instance. At all.
how come?

A) Because you seized on chickenham's imprecise (though colloquial, as he said) use of the term "evolution" - it looks a bit like a fallacy in search of someone to commit it, in this case.

B) Because Lamarckism (and it's fallacy) refers to the inheritance of biological traits acquired during an organism's lifetime. To suggest that the progression (or evolution) of social traits is a lamarckian fallacy seems incorrect. In fact, Jean Molino proposed that lamarckism could be correctly applied to sociocultural evolution...

ICUH8N said:
A) Because you seized on chickenham's imprecise (though colloquial, as he said) use of the term "evolution" - it looks a bit like a fallacy in search of someone to commit it, in this case.
didn't mean to be rude like. :( sorry dee.

ICUH8N said:
B) Because Lamarckism (and it's fallacy) refers to the inheritance of biological traits acquired during an organism's lifetime. To suggest that the progression (or evolution) of social traits is a lamarckian fallacy seems incorrect. In fact, Jean Molino proposed that lamarckism could be correctly applied to sociocultural evolution...
well now. i'd always thought that lamarckism (the idea that traits acquired during the lifetime of an organism can be passed on to offspring) was based on the false assumption of a coherent 'direction' to evolution, and that this was why it became discredited. and that, therefore, a fallacious use of the word 'evolution' to imply direction to evolution could be accused of being derived from a (false) lamarckist basis. does that still hold? or if it is wrong, is there a more accurate way to describe the incorrect use of 'evolution' as implying progress along a set path?

also, i'm afraid i don't know who jean molino is, and wikipedia doesn't give much:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Molino

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back