Bored in Work (10000000) 128 (1 Viewer)

why do i bother

everytime i posta tread it dosen't matter what i say you guys will just talk about something radom next tread i post ...no wait this one is going to be in jibberish........fgoewg joeuob !!!!iseri_neih_ oejpo foopejpo? fiere0jnfrn -krie tipewpnmfg oro ojeiht ood oieit!

Re: time

if time is a drug, then big ben is a giant needle injecting it into the sky. yawn. zzzzzzzzzzz.

Re: why do i bother

They do for ears and eyebrows too. Takes one AA battery. Remmington they are. I think I saw all that while I was briefly passing by.

Re: Bored in Work 128

ah sure well

you had no idea about this when you bought so whats the use of being all upset about it now? It's deadly for people cos it gives them a choice. I'd have loved a little olden house but the stamp duty issue put paid to that. But I am very pleased with our new flat. So, no point in dwelling on it.

Unclealo said:
I feel your pain :(

Re: today

photon said:
Well, the good news (from UCD, at least) is that it's heading toward a US-style modularisation, meaning that there will be loads more flexibility in picking courses. It may take a few years, but I believe the general idea is to eventually allow (if not actually encourage) student to take classes not directly related to their degree subject.

Me, too. So much so that I'm considering going back to college at some point in the future. Maybe to do some postgraduate study in maths, but more likely linguistics, music technology or even English.

Paul
Yeah, I think the modularisation could be a really good thing, and is the sort of system I'd like to teach in. As it is now, it's as if students are penalised for being interested in multiple subjects, and instead of learning for the sake of learning (in my view, the purpose of college is to get a good background of knowledge and the skills to learn how to learn forever, and to be supported by people who can help you get these skills), it's just a road to a piece of paper, and maybe some job skills. Job skills are for jobs, education should help you hone your intellectual interests so that you can -- hopefully -- end up in a job you like. Eventually, anyway. When I finished my undergrad, I wanted to start it all over again. I still do. But I like to think that's what will someday make me a good educator. Someday. If they let me.

I do think, however, that until the secondary system is reformed (i.e. putting the leaving cert in the bin where it belongs), and kids are actually educated without this pressure to achieve points hanging over their heads, it won't go far enough. Also, people think they should feel like they know what they want to do for the rest of their lives when they're 17, so they put even more pressure on themselves to decide on just the right course. Then, if they don't get the points, instead of trying another route, they either have to go back and wait another year to take the stupid leaving again, or they have to settle for something they don't particularly want. Such conditions do not happy students make. God....I could go on my education reform rant all damn day...

The smartest thing I ever did was choose a college, not based only on what they offered in terms of degree courses, but on how the students learned, and how the staff encouraged students to learn, and how they learned themselves. I love that place to bits. Sniff.

Sometimes, my only motivation (if any) to finish my thesis is so I can get a job I like, so I can retire and do a degree in architecture. For some reason, I don't want to do that now, but I want to spend my later years designing crazy buildings that will never be built, just for fun.

Re: why do i bother

i've magyverly modified the motor in my girlfriends vibrator to pluck all my unwanted hair. you've no idea how distressing it is to get a pube stuck in your eye when you're trying to extract a particularly elusive nasal hair. on an unrelated topic william burroughs once described women as vaginas with teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back