Bonnie Prince Billy... (1 Viewer)

I was actually very disappointed with the gig. Judging by the crowd's reaction i'm probably well in the minority if even on my own on that one, but i thought it was terrible. I've never been entertained by artists who are too cool to sings their songs properly, but rather sing around the melody. He desecrated love comes to me, to the point where he was taking the piss out of the sensitivity and softness with which he wrote the song. At the least the weird red haired drag queen guy was being true to his theatrical and very un pc self.

the red haired drag queen guy is a girl....

...as for bonny billy, i thought he stuck to the as recorded melodies closer than usual, especially on the new songs... i thought it was great!.... he arrives with a different band playing completely different interpretations of his songs every time he tours...

...as for bonny billy, i thought he stuck to the as recorded melodies closer than usual, especially on the new songs... i thought it was great!.... he arrives with a different band playing completely different interpretations of his songs every time he tours...

Agree with this. That was the sixth time ive seen Will Oldham, not the best time but still fantastic. I don't get what being 'cool' has to do with not reinterpreting your own songs??? Bizarre enough statement. I thought Love Comes was amazing, the 'hard hearted honeypot...' part was astounding. I guess if you haven't seen him before you might like to hear the songs as they appear on the albums (?) and say for example Ohio River Boat Song last night was a big departure from that. But the excitement for me is seeing him live is not knowing how he's going to do each song. Sure he'd be bored senseless doing the same songs the same way all the time. The new album is probably the best thing he's done since I see a darkness and it sounded great last night. These were pretty much straight up for the simple reason that he probably hasn't had enough time or at this stage hasn't got the desire or need to reinterpret them.

yeah last time it was some Scottish/Celtic band or something!
I'm not really gone on the new album, sadly. :(

I don't get what being 'cool' has to do with not reinterpreting your own songs???

There was nothing reinterpretive about it in my opinion, anyone can skew a melody line, the musical deviation was a re-interpretation of sorts and it was fine, but nothing exciting. A good song stands up for itself and doesnt need the artist to overwork it a different way with every live show, i felt he made it boring and the soul of the song was lost.

There was nothing reinterpretive about it in my opinion, anyone can skew a melody line, the musical deviation was a re-interpretation of sorts and it was fine, but nothing exciting. A good song stands up for itself and doesnt need the artist to overwork it a different way with every live show, i felt he made it boring and the soul of the song was lost.

i know what you mean, i think sometimes the live versions don't really do the songs justice, they lose a lot of heart.

I didn't go to this, mainly because i've seen him a few times and didn't really enjoy the last one in vicar street when the drummer from oxes gave it loads over every song, kind of ruined the dynamic and feel of the songs, similar enough to what happened on the "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy Sings Greatest Palace Music" album. I think it was palace who asked who his band was this time round, i think thats a good question to ask before deciding to go.

I reckon the new album is probably the best thing since Ease down the road though superwolf had some okay stuff on it.

I enjoyed the gig.
Is it just me or was the volume way too low?
You could hear the murmur of certain disinterested punters for half the gig.

It normally doesn't bother me but the heckling seemed way ott last night as well, really distracting.

sound was fine on the balcony

if you can't find out who's in the band, go - in case it's michael zerang and josh abrams again. maybe the best band since the one with david michael curry (and was jim white in that one too?)

This was good - I kind of like how he rearranges the songs - I've been listening to the Ohio River Boat song since it came out, and I only recognised it when he was halfway through the first verse!

It's all about the band on the night - better than redoing the record verbatim I guess

That Zerang chap has an interesting past, I'd not heard of him at all, he was great with his tambourine action

some spine-tingling stuff - new albums a grower n'all

That Zerang chap has an interesting past, I'd not heard of him at all, he was great with his tambourine action

zerang more usually seen on the chciago free scene playing w/the likes of peter brotzmann/ken vandermark/mats gustafsson etc.

great to see the darbouka and frame drums instead of a full kit

http://www.myspace.com/michaelzerang

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back