Bomb attacks in london (2 Viewers)

photon said:
Your constant claims to be old are falling pretty uselessly on my ears, Jane. :)

Sorry to pick nits (ewww) with you, but the Garda National Immigration Bureau cards that us furriners get specifically say that they AREN'T to be used as ID. All they do is state what your current residency status is. If a non-Irish person is ever asked for ID, they need only produce the same sort of thing that an Irish person has to, i.e. a passport, driver's license, etc.

Paul

But that's the thing. The relevance of our immigration status is only a concern of the Justice Department, so there's no need for them to make us carry them at all times. That's the beef I have. Well, the main beef.

Also, they should be allowed to be used as ID, but I also think it's a bit shit that it's all "We use this to identify you, but at no time do you have the right to use it to identify yourself, despite it containing your name, date of birth, and proof that you live in Ireland."

1056_54tattoo.jpg

Notanumber.jpg

ah, that's ok then, ink me baby!

jane said:
But that's the thing. The relevance of our immigration status is only a concern of the Justice Department, so there's no need for them to make us carry them at all times. That's the beef I have. Well, the main beef.

I don't think we're required by law in this country to carry them at all times, actually. (I usually do have it with me, but then I also carry my Dunnes and Tesco cards everywhere...) It's only there to say that you've physically gone in and registered with the guards, and is to be presented only in situations that it's specifically called for, like, say, entering the country (in much the same way that you only need present your Social Services Card when, for example, you sign onto the dole).

jane said:
Also, they should be allowed to be used as ID, but I also think it's a bit shit that it's all "We use this to identify you, but at no time do you have the right to use it to identify yourself, despite it containing your name, date of birth, and proof that you live in Ireland."

Dunno--I find it more offensive that someone gets access to an "official" ID simply because they know how to drive.

But yeah, I agree that it would be very convenient if it were usable as a form of ID (which it might be eventually--apparently a recent law change allows you to use a GNIB card as identification when registering and showing up to vote).

Paul

I guess the British really realise that their country is, and has been, at war now if you know what I mean.

I hope all my relations and friends are ok.

photon said:
I don't think we're required by law in this country to carry them at all times, actually. (I usually do have it with me, but then I also carry my Dunnes and Tesco cards everywhere...) It's only there to say that you've physically gone in and registered with the guards, and is to be presented only in situations that it's specifically called for, like, say, entering the country (in much the same way that you only need present your Social Services Card when, for example, you sign onto the dole).

Dunno--I find it more offensive that someone gets access to an "official" ID simply because they know how to drive.

But yeah, I agree that it would be very convenient if it were usable as a form of ID (which it might be eventually--apparently a recent law change allows you to use a GNIB card as identification when registering and showing up to vote).

Paul

Apparently, it is required that we always carry it (according to my old flatmate, who works in the area of policy and immigration). Of course, in practice, they don't mean white, Anglophone westerners like you and me...

I always have mine with me for the reason that I just don't want to end up forgetting it when I travel out of the country. If I stuck it in my passport, it'd just fall out and get lost.

I have actually used mine as ID. Most people don't look at the back and accept it no problem. For them, it looks more official than a college ID, and I like to think I'm sticking it to The Man by ignoring their 'not ID' thing.

Wavioli said:
Ive still one friend I cant get through to. Im a little worried...

shit. give it a while though.

<selfish>if transport gets fucked up for the next few weeks think about flying to cardiff instead of london</selfish>

Wavioli said:
Ive still one friend I cant get through to. Im a little worried...

Shit... I hope they're okay.

There's probably still a lot of disruption on the phone networks, and emergency calls are still taking precedence.

broken arm said:
<selfish>if transport gets fucked up for the next few weeks think about flying to cardiff instead of london</selfish>

I've got an interview next week on the Strand. Have to change trains at King's Cross.

That said, I heard the underground will be back up and running tomorrow morning.

This must be very boring to all the EU citizens out there...

jane said:
Apparently, it is required that we always carry it (according to my old flatmate, who works in the area of policy and immigration). Of course, in practice, they don't mean white, Anglophone westerners like you and me...

This used to be true with the old green booklets; in fact, it explicitly stated that it had to be carried at all times. However, I believe this was changed when the GNIB was founded in 2000 and they started issuing cards instead--note that the cards don't say that they must be carried with you at all times.

I'm not 100% positive about all this, though, and a thorough Google search hasn't turned up anything either way.

Paul

Wavioli said:
how is that selfish? is it hassle for you if I go from London?

no. my g/f is flying into cardiff on the friday morning and we are driving from there.

i was more concerned about you making your own way down.

photon said:
However, I believe this was changed when the GNIB was founded in 2000 and they started issuing cards instead--note that the cards don't say that they must be carried with you at all times.
Possibly a concession on the part of legalese-writers to actual-real-life-real-world stuff. Can't imagine carrying an ID card while in the shower. Or riding. Unless it was an official Young Person's Riding Card.

MacFlecknoe said:
I've got an interview next week on the Strand. Have to change trains at King's Cross.

That said, I heard the underground will be back up and running tomorrow morning.

maybe. but they are still counting the dead. and one of the bombs blew a hole in an underground wall......................

broken arm said:
maybe. but they are still counting the dead. and one of the bombs blew a hole in an underground wall......................

This is what the BBC have got:
BBC Web-site said:
Tim O'Toole, of London Underground, said it was hoped unaffected parts of the Tube system would re-open late on Thursday and that a limited service would run on Friday.
He said the Jubilee, Northern and Victoria lines were unaffected and that parts of the Circle and Piccadilly lines might also re-open. The Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan lines are likely to remain closed.
Transport for London (TFL) said central London bus services would resume on Thursday afternoon. Buses are being searched regularly.

The airports are going to be a pisser to get through.

I'd hate to be in Bradford or Leicester over the coming months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back