Blessington Basin (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Hey, does anyone know an aul one or wan who grew up near the Blessington Basin? I'm looking to interview someone about it for my radio thang, and I like to have a sort of oral history element to all of my segments.

I know historians can talk about it (I'm sure Pat Liddy would know bucketloads), but I would really rather have a local person walk around it and have a chat.

Other places I'm looking to do:

* Ranelagh Gardens
* Iveagh Gardens
* The South Wall (I think I can find people to help out with that one, though, since I live near it)

But really I'd like Blessington because I want it to be on the north side of the city.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cool! I just sent you an email email there.

Thanks! I was going to do a piece on Blessington Lake, but I'm on a tight deadline now and getting out there to do a walk around is just not gonna be possible. So I'm going to save that for a future project because I have about 40 minutes of cool tape for it already.

Cool! I just sent you an email email there.

Thanks! I was going to do a piece on Blessington Lake, but I'm on a tight deadline now and getting out there to do a walk around is just not gonna be possible. So I'm going to save that for a future project because I have about 40 minutes of cool tape for it already.

doesn't the parky live in the little cottage there? am sure he would talk to you . I presume you know Jamesons built it for a secure water supply for the distillery in smithfield(or so I've been told)?

doesn't the parky live in the little cottage there? am sure he would talk to you . I presume you know Jamesons built it for a secure water supply for the distillery in smithfield(or so I've been told)?

Yeah, and interestingly, the Blessington Lakes were formed for a water supply as well. My original plan was to do a segment called 'The Two Blessingtons'. Basically, the gist of the series is stuff to do in and around Dublin, and cool stories about those places, so it would be a 'compare and contrast the urban and rural stroll' segment. But I was overly ambitious.

aw, that was one of my favourite places to go when i was a kid (my great-aunts lived on the ncr, and i visited them a lot). let me know when the programme goes out!

i loved the way it seemed like it was almost a secret place, like you wouldn't find it if you didn't know where it was (perhaps it only has this air of mystery for the under-fives).

I was bit by a swan in Bushy Park over the weekend. It nearly took off my finger and broke my arm!

cute animals in the city have to be hard as nails. mrs raz was scrabbed by a wellfed looking tomcat in dublin castle not so long ago. I warned her that cats are pricks, but she wouldnt listen!

Yeah, and interestingly, the Blessington Lakes were formed for a water supply as well. My original plan was to do a segment called 'The Two Blessingtons'. Basically, the gist of the series is stuff to do in and around Dublin, and cool stories about those places, so it would be a 'compare and contrast the urban and rural stroll' segment. But I was overly ambitious.

i dont think it was exclusively for jamesons. I think it was a general metropolitan resevroir. interestingly enough, the long narrow park running from the back of it to the ncr is actually a spur of the royal canal that was filled in in the 1900s.

i dont think it was exclusively for jamesons. I think it was a general metropolitan resevroir. interestingly enough, the long narrow park running from the back of it to the ncr is actually a spur of the royal canal that was filled in in the 1900s.

I know, it was a real shame it was filled in. It went all the way down to the king inns and went over the junction of Phibsboro road/western way in a viaduct apparently. There are proposal to reopen the basin up at guinness for barges. Would be great if they did the same northside.

i actually prefer broadstone park, which runs behind it.
i filled two bags with hazelnuts last autumn (still in the spiky things they come in, mind) walking home from work. have planted a few, ate most of the rest. nothing like a fresh hazelnut.

I know, it was a real shame it was filled in. It went all the way down to the king inns and went over the junction of Phibsboro road/western way in a viaduct apparently. There are proposal to reopen the basin up at guinness for barges. Would be great if they did the same northside.

aye. aparently broadstone station was a bit of an artitechtural feat for its time as well;

http://ireland.archiseek.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/constitution_hill/broadstone.html

I done alot of drinking in there back in the day.I could tell ye a story or two,no mistake.
(well maybe under hypnosis or something)

Hey Jane did you ever do something on The Wonderful Barn? I remember in came up in another thread a while back

k_wonderfulbarn.jpg

If not, you should..and drop in for tea and scones if you're out this way

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back