Beth Ditto - shut up (1 Viewer)

Fuck it man I spent so long composing a reply to this that my computer logged me off. What a waste of time. :rolleyes:
In short: Beth Ditto rules. She's only annoying people because the media only has room for one fat lesbian and so the responsibility falls to her to soapbox about size and sexuality and so people start to hate her because it's all she ever talks about because it's important and no one else out there is going to talk about it and so it all backfires horribly and we're back to where we started. Makes me a little bit angry to be honest.

It seems that apperaing nude isn't enough for the tubby ball of self promotion as it appears she's now going to be in Big Brother for the summer sporting a comedy Welsh accent....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fuck it man I spent so long composing a reply to this that my computer logged me off. What a waste of time. :rolleyes:
In short: Beth Ditto rules. She's only annoying people because the media only has room for one fat lesbian and so the responsibility falls to her to soapbox about size and sexuality and so people start to hate her because it's all she ever talks about because it's important and no one else out there is going to talk about it and so it all backfires horribly and we're back to where we started. Makes me a little bit angry to be honest.

although i think there is some element of that in how people feel about beth ditto i think there is some other stuff too..i know personally her size and her sexuality dont bother me one bit..its the thought that if i saw another woman posing naked on the front of the nme ,would i think its because she is trying to raise an issue or would i think its just because shes goin for a little bit of self promotion?as i've said before in this thread i really cant make up my mind how i feel about this as no-one i've ever really admired has put me in two minds about somethin in this manner before..

Why would her size and sexuality have anything to do with her posing nude and running about in her undies at gigs? If I were heavily overweight and gay, I wouldn't think it in any way productive to strip off and pose nude for magazines - it doesn't make you a good role model. It's purely exhibitionism and has nothing to do with raising or questioning issues of beauty and sexuality. If she were suddenly thin and straight I doubt she'd stop prancing around in the nip. Citing feminism and the negative effects of the fashion industry's representation of female beauty doesn't justify acting in the same way as some retard like Paris Hilton.

She might be a nice person behind it all, she might also have valid opinions on many things regarding sexuality and the representation of women, but the fact is she doesn't act in a way that suggests anything more than her being an exhibitionist media whore.

Why would her size and sexuality have anything to do with her posing nude and running about in her undies at gigs? If I were heavily overweight and gay, I wouldn't think it in any way productive to strip off and pose nude for magazines - it doesn't make you a good role model.

Had this very same conversation with P in the car this morning. He seemed to be on your side. My point of view is that her being unashamed about her body by posing nude, getting her kit off at gigs, etc. shows other women that hey, you don't have to cover up if you are not a size that 6 - 10. And the fact that she's taking her clothes off sends the message that she's comfortable with her body and accepts her shape which then sends the message that other women should stop agonising about their bodies and get on with more interesting things like writing songs or creating in whatever way they like. I just think she's a bit of a campaigner and takes every opportunity given to her to push these issues and thus people think she's a media whore.

Fair enough she's comfortable with being massive but because of this she can use it as publicity for her band very easily by stripping off and the likes thus causing controversy and getting people to talk about her and as a result, her band.

I wouldnt have thought that feminists in any shape or form would be comfortable parading around in the nude.

I'm not a feminist tho. I wich I was.

Gees and the like.

Had this very same conversation with P in the car this morning. He seemed to be on your side. My point of view is that her being unashamed about her body by posing nude, getting her kit off at gigs, etc. shows other women that hey, you don't have to cover up if you are not a size that 6 - 10. And the fact that she's taking her clothes off sends the message that she's comfortable with her body and accepts her shape which then sends the message that other women should stop agonising about their bodies and get on with more interesting things like writing songs or creating in whatever way they like. I just think she's a bit of a campaigner and takes every opportunity given to her to push these issues and thus people think she's a media whore.

Yeah, that's all possible and I respect your point of view, but I'm probably just more cynical about her motivations. I have no time for exhibitionists - which she most definitely is, regardless of whether her ultimate purpose is raising issues or raising her profile. And if she does some good, then fine.. but I think she's probably more of a negative influence on women and also men.

i'm confused...although i applaud her guts, at the same time I think she's pandering to the sexualisation of female musicians - like, NME rarely if ever put women on their cover - and now they put beth on, but she's fucking naked. Nice one. Nothing to do with her talent, just her ass. I appreciate the point she's trying to make, and she looks great, but it's just reducing her to a physical object, nothing more.

me and the boy spent a fair amount of time talking about this last night..i mean essentially isnt she using her body to garner publicity?and arent the nme using her getting her gear off as a chance to get some publicity and sell a few more issues..the whole thing just seems pretty publicity hungry and whoreish to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back