Best way to lose a beer belly... (1 Viewer)

That's 2600 calories. That's a baked potato with a bit of butter, a decent bit of meat, a few veg and a drink basically.

That's not 2600 calories! I'd say I consume about 1800-2200 a day and I eat far more than that.

A nutritionist friend of mine did me up a big guide years ago when I was clueless. Sorted me right out so she did. I can email anyone the Word document if they want it. Has a handy list of foods and their calorie content.

i don't enough about diet or nutrition to argue this with you, but i find it very hard to believe.
It's not completely untrue

When you compare the calories expended in various forms of exercise versus the calories in different food.

An hour of jogging is about 1250 calories burned
An hour of cycling less than 1000

A big mac meal is 1300.

I stopped going out for lunch and started making my own.
Switched from pints of stout to Corona.
Generally tried to avoid meat until dinnertime and then much less than before.
And generally avoid bread and potatoes for veg - lots of broccoli and things like that.
And a bowl of porridge in the morning, not just coffee.

Those few changes have equalled about 2 1/2 stone in as many months.

When you compare the calories expended in various forms of exercise versus the calories in different food.

A big mac meal is 1300.

this all stemmed from me saying "combine diet and exercise" - i dunno where this shit about eating fish and chips, big macs and running marathons is coming from

just seems weird for people to suggest NOT exercising on a thread like this

this all stemmed from me saying "combine diet and exercise" - i dunno where this shit about eating fish and chips, big macs and running marathons is coming from

just seems weird for people to suggest NOT exercising on a thread like this

I think that's only one person. You'd have to do both. Plus eat more often. Going long stretches without will just grind your metabolism down to a halt. Your body will start storing the little food you eat as fat. Plus you'd start to lose muscle mass if you decrease your calories too much. No one wants that.

So, if you bike to work for an hour in the morning, and bike back, you're essentially burning most the calories in the food you might eat that day? (Assuming a 2000-2500 intake)
It's hardly inconsequential.

There's basically no one answer. Everyone's got different metabolisms and different tolerances for different shit. Find the balance of diet and exercise that works for you.
You might hate salads but love swimming, someone else could be the opposite, and so on.

Ultimately it's all pointless though. You're gonna get old, lose muscle tone, have your health shit the bed on you and then you die.

Pint?

1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. Create a deficit* of 3500 in a week by cutting back calories and/or exercise and you'll lose a pound. Pretty simple.

*A deficit based on how many calories it would take for you to maintain your current weight.

So, if you bike to work for an hour in the morning, and bike back, you're essentially burning most the calories in the food you might eat that day? (Assuming a 2000-2500 intake)
It's hardly inconsequential.

I guess the lesson is; you can do as much damage with a bowl of Ben and Jerries in 10 mins as would take a couple of hours of hard exercise to work off.

ok, fair enough, its not intuitive. It doesn't seem like it makes sense. I was surprised when i worked it out.

You have to remember we have to generate enough heat to heat our entire bodies all of the time, pump our blood, and do loads of hard things.
Just this baseline of work takes up a ferocious amount of energy. Something like 150 cals an hour just watching TV say.
Running marathons increases this energy output, obviously, but your body can only handle this for a short period of time. Normally you wont exercise for more than an hour.

You have to look at the numbers.

I thought muscle burns more energy than fat?

So I go to work last night and finished up with a group I've been working with for a few weeks and they give me a goodbye present of.... A Bottle Of Wine!!
But I didn't drink it. I think it was some sort of cosmic joke. I haven't received an unsolicited bottle of wine in ages and I give up drink yesterday and get one that evening. Anyways it's sitting in the kitchen as a reward in a months time.
Anyone believe in thinking yourself thin? I could swear I felt a little lighter going to bed last night knowing that I wouldn't be consuming any sweet sweet beer for a few weeks.
BTW I love the idea of eating what I like for breakfast and losing weight as i sleep. It's the future!

Running a full marathon will consume about as much energy as one large fish and chips with a fizzy drink.

You can basically exercise all you like, but it makes fuck all difference to weight loss.
Doesn't your body use up plenty of calories for hours after excercise, to repair the muscles?

Anyways, to lose weight I would suggest sleeping more.
http://www.physorg.com/news72978010.html.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back