Best way to lose a beer belly... (1 Viewer)

Yeah it seems there isn't much you can do about it except maybe try a route / company that'll take slightly longer to go up so that you have a better chance of acclimitising (sic) - we switched from a 5 day to a 6 day route for this reason. I'll pm you the link to my 3 hour powerpoint snoreathon when i'm back ...

there isn't a standard approved climbing schedule? fuck's sake. is this not exactly the same thing that caused all kinds of farcical and tragic shite on everest? obviously kilimanjaro isn't as dangerous but it's not a theme park ride.

Altitude sickness is a big deal. It either happens to you or it doesn;t, nothing to do with fitness

Its something you can kind of acclimatise to an extent, but it can take a very long time. Its more down to luck, how your body reacts.

Some people do not acclimatise well. 4 days is pushing it I would say, but again, it just depends. Obviously the faster you get on and off the summit the better.

In the Andes I ran into two guys that were acclimatising for Aconcagua, and trekked with them for 8 days. We were sleeping at 3000 to 4000 meters, and spending most of the day around or above that.
We were alone, so carrying loads, and going up the loose scree was quite hard.
I eventually left them to carry on trekking and they dropped out. That day was hard and I got very tired, but was really lucky and found a mountain hut at around 3000m to relax in. I stayed there for a few days before I recovered.

That's the thing, the recovery is very slow. If you are alone you can end up in trouble quite fast.

When you get back down to 1000m though, or whatever, the air feels very thick. You become extremely fit.

seems a bit retarded to me. you wouldn't book people to swim the channel depending on how many days of holiday they had to do it in, would you?

There is basically two ways to summit mountains, siege and alpine.
if you are fit, the safest bet is alpine, you would stay as low as you can, for as long as you can, and basically make a brake for the summit carrying as little as you possibly can, get the altitude very fast, push hard, and then turn around and get off fast.

That's how most of the dudes do the Andean peaks.

The other way is Siege, where you ferry crap (or have crap ferried for you if you're rich) up to some point, and you just push this point gradually nearer the summit until you are fairly close, wait for the weather, and then go for it. Most Everest expeditions are like this.
Its basically bollocks.

Real men carry their own crap and travel light and fast. None of this siege stuff. Siege is basically admiting you aren't able for the mountain.

Real men carry their own crap and travel light and fast. None of this siege stuff. Siege is basically admiting you aren't able for the mountain.

Real men can work away, i'm totally happy to say that i couldn't climb Kilimanjaro carrying all my stuff alpine style. Anyway, i'm off to bed.

I climbed with a french guy who went up Everest and couldn't climb for a few years afterwards because of climate sickness. I'm not too sure why, but it really affected his inner ear or something and he never fully recovered from it until a long time after...

He was an insanely mad fucker. He climbed up Trango Tower (over 6,000m) and jumped off the top in a wingsuit.

trango_tower3_LL9_PakWheels%28com%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trango_Towers

The east face of the Great Trango Tower features the world's greatest nearly vertical drop.
There's a video of it somewhere...

EDIT: here tis

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

cut to part two for the jump. i was climbing with Jean Yves Fredericksen (he's in the vid above) on the same trip as with yer man Sam.
They were two of the nicest and insane people ive ever met.

Alright.
Would you agree that running a marathon is hard? Pretty much the hardest thing humans do?

You burn roughly 80 cal / mile running a marathon, more obviously if you are a big bastard, but someone my size this is the number more or less.

One of those little bottles of Coke contains 200 calories. 155 cals in a can.
A baked potato contains almost 300 cals, with no butter.

If you are decent, you would knock out a marathon in three hours. Say be generous, say 4. And say you are not a skinny fuck, so you burn 100 cal / mile on your marathon.

That's 2600 calories. That's a baked potato with a bit of butter, a decent bit of meat, a few veg and a drink basically.

I dont know what more I can say. You can look up the numbers yourself.

I'll say it again, its just the physics of the thing, if you want to lose weight, you intake less calories. Trying to increase your energy output is almost not worth doing. Its not totally pointless, but since we are talking about losing weight, it makes fuck all difference.

edit ; typo

ok, fair enough, its not intuitive. It doesn't seem like it makes sense. I was surprised when i worked it out.

You have to remember we have to generate enough heat to heat our entire bodies all of the time, pump our blood, and do loads of hard things.
Just this baseline of work takes up a ferocious amount of energy. Something like 150 cals an hour just watching TV say.
Running marathons increases this energy output, obviously, but your body can only handle this for a short period of time. Normally you wont exercise for more than an hour.

You have to look at the numbers.

I can see where you're coming from flashback but your marathon anology makes no sense to me. First off if your running a marathon your in pretty good shape to start with. I know myself the last time I lost a good bit of weight was by simply incresing my weekly exercise from once or twice a week or some weeks none at all to three or four times a week consistantly, my diet didn't change significantly in this time.

If you want to play a numbers game it's pretty simple, if your are consistantly burning more calories than you are consuming then you will lose weight. It's recommended that the average man consume 2500 calories a day as this is what he will also burn off in an average day. So if he were to increase the amount of calories burned off to an average of 3000 a day while maintaining the 2500 calories intake the pounds will fall off over time without any change in diet. About 30 to 40 minutes would burn around 500 calories so it's not that hard. It's also true that the same could be achived by reducing calorie intake to 2000 and forget about the increase in exercise but by eating less you would also lessening your intake of nutrition and vitimins etc. At the end of the day the best plan is to find the right balance between the two approachs and every person will be different in this regard. I prefer to increase exercise because as someone mentioned earlier the benefits are more than just weight loss, it makes me feel a lot better both mentally and physically and I generally have a lot more energy.

On that note I'll sign off and head out for the morning jog.

I decided to have a big breakfast this morning after mulling over Flashback's "eat truckloads early, eat nothing late" post.
So there I am with my Breakfast Torpedo, a book and my wallet (containing swipe card to gain entry to work) in my hand when a courier asks me to sign for a package and bring it in with me. So I do. But the 4 items prove too much for me as I swipe the card, and they fall from my grasp, sending bits of bacon, bread, egg, ketchup, etc all over the ground.
:(
Thanks, Flashback.

Altitude sickness is a big deal. It either happens to you or it doesn;t, nothing to do with fitness

Its something you can kind of acclimatise to an extent, but it can take a very long time. Its more down to luck, how your body reacts.

Yeah, I know this but being fit would just make the whole experience more enjoyable. I already have problems with keeping my blood thin enough and the altitude can cause one to produce more red blood cells (if I understand it correctly) so it would be a serious concern for me. That said, I still plan to do it. Fuck it if it's not exactly safe, you only live once. Life is short.

I decided to have a big breakfast this morning after mulling over Flashback's "eat truckloads early, eat nothing late" post.
So there I am with my Breakfast Torpedo, a book and my wallet (containing swipe card to gain entry to work) in my hand when a courier asks me to sign for a package and bring it in with me. So I do. But the 4 items prove too much for me as I swipe the card, and they fall from my grasp, sending bits of bacon, bread, egg, ketchup, etc all over the ground.
:(
Thanks, Flashback.

Is it really called a Breakfast Torpedo? Poor Moods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back