Best Gig/Album/Song of 2016 (2 Viewers)

Making lists is hard. This is me so far (subject to frequent change);

fav song: Some Sunsick Day - Morgan Delt
fav gigs: Joanna Newsom, Belly (definitely the most fun gig of the year), Stars of the Lid, Wolf Parade
fav album: still struggling here. At the moment I'll go with Cate le Bon, Zomby, Hooton Tennis Club (1st of the 2 they released this year), Car Seat Headrest
worst festival of the year: Electric Picnic.
people I'm still sick of this year: John Grant

Haven't got the new Burial or Josefin Ohrn releases yet. I'm sure both would be up there if I did.

it was a decent, if not outstanding, year for new music.
Lisa Hannigan too. Her album is great.

woah - big(ish) data. Someone is merging all the lists.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thanks to @7 - No tomorrow for this. I don't know why he refuses to post on thumped anymore but this is good. (clickable link)

several of my top 10 albums aren't in that list.

sake

ok, put a bit more thought into this. Omitted Bowie, Cohen and Radiohead cos they're in everyone's list. This is the 10 I came up with.

Zomby - Ultra
Emma Pollock - In Search of Harperfield
Cate Le Bon - Crab Day
Morgan Delt - Phase Zero
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Sun Kil Moon/Jesu
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
Katie Kim - Salt
Lisa Hannigan - At Swim

changing my list (adding Adam Witzie), soz lisa hannigan

Zomby - Ultra
Emma Pollock - In Search of Harperfield
Cate Le Bon - Crab Day
Adam Bryanbaum Witzie
Morgan Delt - Phase Zero
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Sun Kil Moon/Jesu
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
Katie Kim - Salt

Gig of the year: Drive like Jehu. Such an amazing live act and a band that I wasn't aware of until their unfortunate ATP event.
Album of the year: Marissa Nadler Strangers. Her gig in the button factory was sad as only around 60 folk turned out for her.
Song of the year: Mono The last scene

Oh I was at that Marisa Nadler gig too. Pretty sparse turnout all right. Haven't been as taken by Strangers as the previous album though. Should give it another go..

Gig: Cate le Bon in the Workman's
Album: Radiohead, hopelessly unoriginal but it surprised me a lot how good it was. And grew on me even more. Definitely the one I've listened to most.
Song: gonna go along with Angel Olsen - Shut Up Kiss Me. Serious tune

I was away for a lot of the year and most of the ones I was looking forward to let me down a bit including the Cate le Bon one, White Lung, Angel and others. Not been a great year for albums, or maybe I was just under-exposed.

I liked both the Solanage and Frank Ocean albums way better in theory than actually having to listen to them.

The Frank Ocean has lots of great tunes that didn't grab me at first but really wormed their way into my head after a few listens.

Song: Square Hammer by Ghost. It's a lesson in songwriting.
Album: Well I have to say F.E.A.R. by Marillion don't I. It is good though. Also the Weezer white album is very good. Like Hugh though the albums I listened to by far most this year were Vessel (2013) and Blurryface (2015) both by Twentyone Pilots both very good albums. Oh, can't forget The Glimmermen's album which is great.
Gig: They Might Be Giants in Belfast back in January '16 was fantastic, way better than their previous Irish gigs a year or so before. Buxton's Bowie Bug in July In the Iveagh gardens was a joy, so was the Vicar St one but the first one was better for me because y'know, it was first. Jimmy Eat World in the Olympia was just so impressive and slick. I only remember gigs that I have ticket stubs for...

Loads of albums from 2016 that I haven't gotten to yet. That's why I'm uneasy with these calendar deadline things.
Had a listen to Blueryface based on your recommendation. It's savage. really liking it.

I'll give it a go. Bumper year as far as I'm concerned.

Gig: Stars Of the Lid in the NCH/Arab Strap in Manchester
Album: elseq 1-5 - Autechre
Song: Hubris III - Oren Ambarchi

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back