Best Gig/Album/Song of 2016 (6 Viewers)

Song: Square Hammer by Ghost. It's a lesson in songwriting.
Album: Well I have to say F.E.A.R. by Marillion don't I. It is good though. Also the Weezer white album is very good. Like Hugh though the albums I listened to by far most this year were Vessel (2013) and Blurryface (2015) both by Twentyone Pilots both very good albums. Oh, can't forget The Glimmermen's album which is great.
Gig: They Might Be Giants in Belfast back in January '16 was fantastic, way better than their previous Irish gigs a year or so before. Buxton's Bowie Bug in July In the Iveagh gardens was a joy, so was the Vicar St one but the first one was better for me because y'know, it was first. Jimmy Eat World in the Olympia was just so impressive and slick. I only remember gigs that I have ticket stubs for...

Loads of albums from 2016 that I haven't gotten to yet. That's why I'm uneasy with these calendar deadline things.

Albums:
Nothing really blew me away this year, but I did really like.
Drug dealer - the end of comedy
Vinyl Williams - Brunei
Morgan delt - phase zero
Mild high club - skiptracing

Song/single:
The lemon twigs - these words
Drug dealer feat. Weyes blood - suddenly

Gig:
Didn't go to any. Sad.

Though my by far most listened to album of 2016 is the Beyonce one. Believe me, I know every beat, every line, every sample backwards, forwards and sideways. Thankfully, in spite of some I'll advised forays into 'rawk' territory halfway through, it is really really good.
Hold Up and Formation are the only songs I go back to it on it myself. It's all too slick for me. I'm always a bit unsure with USA Ultra Pop Music.

Plus, her pure-capitalism ethos bugs me and if that ain't a reason to dislike a pop star I don't know what is!

Hold Up and Formation are the only songs I go back to it on it myself. It's all too slick for me. I'm always a bit unsure with USA Ultra Pop Music.

Probably my favourite tracks too. But I also love the big melodramatic soul numbers like Sandcastles and All Night.

Also, her pure-capitalism ethos bugs me and if that ain't a reason to dislike a pop star I don't know what is!

What? She has to do class politics as well as identity politics? Is she running for President or something? :)

What? She has to do class politics as well as identity politics? Is she running for President or something? :)

If Harry Belafonte can manage it under Jim Crow the most powerful popstar in a media-owned world can manage it!

i reckon she's entitled to lifetime kudos after bringing a set of dancing black panthers on at the superbowl
I reckon i'm just taking Beyonce's lead here, the Black Panthers were a communist organisation opposed to the very black capitalism she embodies. If she didn't want people to talk about it then she shouldn't have brought it up. Public Enemy (those classic anti-semites) were doing this years ago!

Last edited:
woah - big(ish) data. Someone is merging all the lists.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thanks to @7 - No tomorrow for this. I don't know why he refuses to post on thumped anymore but this is good. (clickable link)

Last edited:
Cool. I was just thinking earlier that someone should do this. I love these end-of-year lists mostly just because they remind me to listen to things.

Today:

Angel Olsen - any fans here? Is it that good? It passed me by the first time I listened but second time it's starting to grow.

Mitski - don't think this will be for me.

Sturgill Simpson - had to turn this off after about 20 seconds. God no. Close shave actually since I nearly bought it on Saturday mostly because I like the cover so much.

Poor Divine Comedy. Second last at 320.

I LOVE Angel Olsen but was a little let down with the new album. I liked the new sounds on it but the dirge/tune ratio felt off. It seems I was the only one though.

Too much dirge or too little? I'm partial to the dirge. And the tunes too though.

Too much dirge or too little? I'm partial to the dirge. And the tunes too though.
Too much. She writes a good dirge but after 3 in a row or so i'm done. It's cool to see her doing so well though.

Really digging this now. I like the slow-burning guitar wig-outs. They remind me of Neil Young when he used to be good.

Still haven't listened to that Angel Olsen album all the way through but Shut up Kiss me is my song of the year.

Gig of the year for me was probably Mastodon in the Academy. Close runner ups would be Amon Amarth in Vicar Street, No Spill Blood in the Bello Bar and Preoccupations at Castlepalooza.

Album of the year for me was Worry by Jeff Rosenstock, absolutely love it and can't say enough good things about it.

Also loved the King Gizzard, Touche Amore, Laura Gibson and Glimmermen albums.

Only heard the Viet Cong album for the first time this year and played it to death over the summer. same with Leftover Crack's latest album.

One of my songs of the year

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

turned out to be all fucking lies though didn't it?

Making lists is hard. This is me so far (subject to frequent change);

fav song: Some Sunsick Day - Morgan Delt
fav gigs: Joanna Newsom, Belly (definitely the most fun gig of the year), Stars of the Lid, Wolf Parade
fav album: still struggling here. At the moment I'll go with Cate le Bon, Zomby, Hooton Tennis Club (1st of the 2 they released this year), Car Seat Headrest
worst festival of the year: Electric Picnic.
people I'm still sick of this year: John Grant

Haven't got the new Burial or Josefin Ohrn releases yet. I'm sure both would be up there if I did.

it was a decent, if not outstanding, year for new music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back