best foodie experience you ever had (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
sometimes i love what im eating so much, it amost brings me to tears.
anyway i'm in the fortunate position of getting to do restaurant reviews.
once was in this ridiculously pricey place, but the snapper nearly made me weep. the red wine we had with it was incredible too. had the sexiest salmon for the mains. heart-stoppingly good.
there was snother place i reviewed that had an amazing mackerel salad. i followed it with cod and this lemon sauce with mashed spuds.
i nearly died.
and then last night, in a very unassuming place, cheap too, i had aloo makhanwala and almost keeled over from the yumminess.
actually, some of the best food i've had has been in the wallet-friendly places; i guess it depends.
:cool: .|..| ::clef::

i got some fucking awesome ravioli in a restaurant in Caesars Palace a few years back, but mostly i'm pretty happy with my beans on toast - it's the food of the gods, you know.

pete said:
beans on toast - it's the food of the gods, you know.

I have that all the time. tastes good, easy to make and costs about 30c per portion.

Anyone ever try the curried beans?

A couple of weeks ago i got my hands on some farm rashers from wexford. Tasty isn't the word. I made sandwiches with loads of brown sauce and cos of my hangover drank at least a litre and a half of tea. Great rashers, they put all the prepacked supermarket ones to shame.

Rashers.

- The cheesecake in Milanos the first time I ate it. Who or what could make something that tasted that good? No gelatine, no slime, just a sweet, light cheesy mouth explosion.

- The soups in the Winding Stair.... so simple, yet lovely. Inspired me to learn how to cook.

- In Nice, France, in a Lebanese restaurant, me and Niamh ordered a sort of platter of food. The waiter brought out a dish, then another, then another. We nearly started crying because we thought we'd ordered a million squids worth of food and we were pretty broke at the time. Anyway, in the midst of this feast of epicurean delights was a plate, and on that plate lay the most beautiful aubergines that have ever passed my lips. The skin was crunchy, crispy and salty like a well roasted chicken skin, and the flesh was soft, tender and so full of flavour and juice that you didn't care about looking like a drooling idiot as you ate it because it tasted so good.

mmmm

Here's to more magical food experiences.

ah! just remembered another.
i was at this paddy's day party last eyar and on the menu was 'hot bloody mary' which transpired to be the best fucking tomato soup i've EVER had.

http://www.cbrava.com/restcap.uk.htm

this restaurant is the most amazing restaurant in the world i think. well in my experience so far... they do this speciality seafood paella - there's no point in describing what it tastes like because i'll fail miserably. it makes me sad i can't communicate with it - i would tell it it's one of the most amazing things in the world.

the cap de creus place is very special as well. it's the eastern-most point of the iberian peninsula so the view are incredible. oh to have a job there washing dishes... really, it's the dream.

At a restaurant called Shunku in Barcelona (I love japanese food). We managed to get a table by complete chance, the guy sitting next to us had had to book ten days in advance and even then had to take the day before the one he wanted.

Best meal I've ever had in a restaurant I think, partially because we didn't have a clue what anything was so I was ordering based on what I could remember of the japanese in other restaurants..

..so good... best fried chicken ever too.

For desert - a sweet rice moshi with strawberry and cream filling too - never had that in a japanese restaurant before!

Lefty Frizzell said:
Anyone ever try the curried beans?

the little Heinz half tins of curried beans are deadly, as are their bbq one's (both of which you can only get in Tesco). sainsbury's in newry do full size tins of Heinz tikka, jalfrezi, mexican(?) and something else baked beans. amazing.

Lefty Frizzell said:
A couple of weeks ago i got my hands on some farm rashers from wexford. Tasty isn't the word. I made sandwiches with loads of brown sauce and cos of my hangover drank at least a litre and a half of tea. Great rashers, they put all the prepacked supermarket ones to shame.

Rashers.

I'm always on the lookout for better bacon.

Where did you buy them? Was there a name on them?

nlgbbbblth said:
I'm always on the lookout for better bacon.

Where did you buy them? Was there a name on them?

My sister got them, i'll get the name of them this evening. i think she got them from a market in dunbrody abbey. not sure though.

argh. when i was livin in bristol for a while, i got to sample lots of local farm produce from the surrounding countryside. they have this thing over there in small country towns, all the farmers meet up at the weekends and exchange/sell their goods. a lot of amazing free-reange stuff, cheese, eggs, bacon, sausages - oh jesus, some of the sausages were incredible. not like any sausages i've ever tasted. sausages with sage and cheese already in them and the meat just tasted completely different. as the grease bribbled down my chin, i mumbled "mmuhhhh.... now i know what real meat tastes like."

sorry.

nlgbbbblth said:
cool.
Must hit that market next time I visit the parents.

you should pick up some castlebridge eggs too if you're down there. Total free range. The yolks are a really vibrant orange and full on flavour. They're really nice for breakfast hard boiled.

In Rome, a tiny, tiny restaurant called Cacio e Pepe, that only serves a few variations on Carbonara.

Basically, with meat or without meat.

Was there for the first time 3 years ago, and we couldn't speak afterwards. Utterly simple but beautifully prepared, piled high on the plate, and served with an amazing unknown table red wine.
Went back again a few months ago, thinking that memory had made it much better than it could possibly have been, but it was actually even more amazing. Best meal on the planet.

127170167_4fb85ff002.jpg

Off to Rome next week, and that'll be the first port of call again.

Other deadly ones:
The trattoria in Rome where you have no say in your food, above the door is a sign saying "You Will Eat What We Give You". 5 courses of the most amazing Italian cooking, with free abuse thrown by Giovanni, comes in at around €35 for 2 people inc wine

Ricobenes in Chicago for the Sicilian Beef and Chorizo Sausage steak sandwich

Pokeys in San Diego for the Vegan Chimichanga

GG's in Philadelphia for the greatest Philly cheese thingy, with proper Cheesewhizz

In Ireland, anything from the Chameleon is a winner, or the Salmon in Vodka sauce pasta in that Italian on Ship St in Galway....ang ang ang ang ang ang ang ang ang ang.....

argh, too many to choose from ... i might have to go with the grilled lamb i had at a wee roadside cafe in the atlas mountains (ooh, get me) last year. or the mostly fish tasting menu extravaganza in barcelona (sadly can't remember the name of the restaurant) where they just kept bringing us more and more delicious food. or the dinner in thorntons where i can never afford to eat again.

Most of mine are tied up with travel .... hard to choose but here's one.

In Venice last year. I ordered Rissotto. The rissotto was amazing but that's not the point. The Risotto came in this kind of edible bowl. You know when you make a toasted cheese sandwich and some of the cheese spills out, and then kind of hardens and burns into this supertasty stuff? Well the bowl was made out of this stuff. Unbelievable.

My entire life to date has essentially been a search for the ultimate chocolate cake. I found it in Odeon in TriBeCa. It was small and flourless and made a rich, gloopy sighing noise when you stuck your fork in it. Much like the gloopy sighing noise I made while eating it.

hag said:
argh. when i was livin in bristol for a while, i got to sample lots of local farm produce from the surrounding countryside. they have this thing over there in small country towns, all the farmers meet up at the weekends and exchange/sell their goods. a lot of amazing free-reange stuff, cheese, eggs, bacon, sausages - oh jesus, some of the sausages were incredible. not like any sausages i've ever tasted. sausages with sage and cheese already in them and the meat just tasted completely different. as the grease bribbled down my chin, i mumbled "mmuhhhh.... now i know what real meat tastes like."

sorry.
they have farmers markets in ireland too you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back