Battle of Rath Lugh (1 Viewer)

krusty411

Website
www.myspace.com
all the bellow has been taken from articles or comments on indymedia.ie

Battle of Rath Lugh

Rath Lugh Defence Fort

Approx 80 personnel including several Gardai not displaying their numbers have descended on Rath Lugh.

There are 3 vehicles on the esker and a tractor half way up. This is seriously jeopardising the life of the girl pictured above who is locked into the tunnel by the neck. The Gardai are aware of this and are paying no heed!!!!

There is also a tractor heavy laden with steel works approaching from the Baronstown side and 22 jeeps have been counted.

The situatuion is extremely delicate and extremely tense.

Please go there if you can. Bring video equipment and phone credit. Go Now!!!

Please spread the word, contact all media, ring the Dept of the Environment, Tansport , Museum all.....

No coincidence that this is happening before a Court Order was made to stop them. BASTARDS!!!!!

Tunnel

Squeek On guard

Gardai endanger life
person.gif
by Con Connor - Ireland's Druidschool
date.gif
Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:38 9:40, Thursday 13-3-08
Reports just received from Rath Lugh say that the Gardai (30) and Toll road workers (60) are attacking the Protectors of Tara. They have cut off the life support system to the tunnel knowing that there is a woman deep below ground. Her name is Squeak. The front line camp is being dismantled using bolt croppers - this is exposing the tunnel entrance. Machinery has appeared and numerous toll road jeeps swarm around the edge of Rath Lugh. This outrageous act by the Gardai endangers the life of Squeak - the Gardai know this. We have previous examples of Garda incompetence in situations beyond their control that went wrong due to their stupidity - are we to see another example of their incompetence? This is timed to occur just before an Emergency Injunction is being sought to halt all works at Rath Lugh 10.30 in the Four Courts Dublin. The boundary to the National Monument of Rath Lugh seems to be about to be set by SIAC/Ferrovial toll road building crews and not by Irish Law or the Minister.
Who is in command of this stupid plan? Did the Minister sanction this attack on the peaceful Protectors of Tara? Is this the fullest expression of Operation Bedrock? How many Ferrovial and Senior Gardai are members of Opus Dei? Did the order to evacuate come from their Lismullin HQ?
All works on or near Rath Lugh must be stopped immediately until the life of Squeak is secured and a proper survey has been done and boundary lines clearly defined.
See also
http://www.druidschool.com/site/1030100/page/471039
Related Link: http://www.savetaravalley.com/

Gardai endanger life
person.gif
by Con Connor - Ireland's Druidschool
date.gif
Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:58 The posting above by me was sent to a large media list - the version on savetara.com has been edited to exclude two questions that may have great importance -

How many Ferrovial and Senior Gardai are members of Opus Dei?

Did the order to evacuate come from their Lismullin HQ?

Why was this edited for savetara.com? Maybe the source of the problem is that Opus Dei are quietly managing the entire destruction to their profit. Tarawatch and SaveTara forums/websites seem to align with the media black out on the fact the Opus Dei are at Lismullin in a E10m HQ. The church has been destroying our Pagan Heritage for 1500 years now. The route of the forced M3 double toll road was moved east to protect the graves of the black friars and in so doing the destruction of the Henge and Rath Lugh was made possible. Opus Dei at Lismullin caused the M3 to be moved east - hence the Henge and Rath Lugh .... why not speak about it? dont be afraid - they have no power unless you give it to them.

I wonder if the judge presiding over the Emergency Injunction being sought right now to halt all works at Rath Lugh (10.30 in the Four Courts Dublin today) is a member of Opus Dei? Or maybe I am not allowed to ask that question. Maybe we should all just be afraid...

There is something seriously wrong when the opposed won’t name the bully. People should not be afraid of their governments - governments should be afraid of the people.
Related Link: http://www.odan.org/

Latest
person.gif
by Muireann Ni Bhrolchain
date.gif
Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 Just sent this out:

Statement - Update on Rath Lugh -

As a High Court injunction is being heard in Dublin - contractors with the help of the Gardai are evicting the protersters at Rath Lugh.
The hearing has been adjourned until the afternoon to hear the other side of the case.
The front line camp is completely dismantled. Described by protester as "like a war zone" and "chilling".
Local councillor Phillip Cantwell described the actions as "unbelievable". His pleas to leave the protestor in the tunnel are not being listened to. He has called for the contractor to produce his Method Statement. No such method statement has been produced.
The Fire Brigade is on site.
There are approximately 30 Gardai with no numbers shown. They will not say who they are.
The media is also present.
There is a girl in the tunnel, no attention is being paid to her safety.
One protester arrested and taken to Navan garda station. There was a 40 ton dump truck in the vicinity and 2 diggers near the tunnel.
The Fire Brigade is there - there are about 30 jeeps.
Four protestors have locked on 10 feet from the entrance to the tunnel, their arms are cemented.
There is noone trained in Ireland to safely remove the protestor from the tunnel.

eviction in progress
Today the frount line is being evicted by unqualified members of the road company and the fire bregade. there are no safty mesures in place​

frount line evitction

We need help QUICKLY. There is no body in this country to deal with such an eviction. HELP HELP HELP SOS
Related Link: http://WWW.TARAPIXIE.NET

tunnel shelter

Trators, scum

again all of the above were taken from indymedia.ie

er...why's she locked in the tunnel by the neck(!)?

yeah i dont really understand that part myself, unless there actually refuring to maybe the structuring of the tunnel system that theyve got up there and it could be a specific part of the tunnel.

I guess she's underground with something locked around her neck, seems a bit mad, but obviously it's an extremely desperate measure...

Edit: or maybe the've all gone crazy over there and it's turned into a Lord of the Flies type situation, the neck-lock is a brutal form of punishment for some minor infringement or bizarre hippy-law

This is interesting:

http://www.lismullin.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=51

I saw this guy give a talk about seven or eight years ago on Sheela na Gigs, in honour of International Women's Day. The whole lecture was one of the nastiest tirades against female academics and women in general that I've heard in an academic context. From the look of the abstract of his lecture, his academic work is also still stuck in 1910.

But anyway, yes, spacers all around. Too bad the spacers are the most vocal.

frontpageimage.jpg

CONSTRUCTION OF a contentious section of the M3 motorway at Rath Lugh, near Tara, Co Meath, is being delayed by a subterranean protester who is refusing to emerge from a 10m (33ft) deep tunnel dug into the motorway site.
Lisa Feeney from Dublin, who says she is a psychology graduate aged in her early 20s, told The Irish Times via two-way radio yesterday that she was "comfortable", well-equipped and was passing her time by reading a book by Pádraig Pearse by candlelight.
"It's grand," Ms Feeney said. "They haven't cut off my air supply, so it's comfortable enough. I'm prepared to stay here for months."
The protesters are objecting to a motorway coming so close to the ancient Rath Lugh promontory fort, which has been declared a national monument, as well as cutting through an area that contains scores of significant heritage sites dating back 2,000 years and more. Three protesters were arrested last night.
Ms Feeney said that she was in a chamber built at the bottom of a 33ft tunnel, which was dry, warm and well ventilated by a wind- powered pump. She has tinned food, as well as dried peas and beans which she intends to sprout in water in order to sustain herself.
Ms Feeney and other M3 protesters had dug a shaft directly down into the steep embankment of the Rath Lugh "esker" - a glacial formation of rock and sand - since August, supporting the sides with pieces of plywood and timber.
At the bottom of the shaft they had widened it into a chamber that was supported by more timber and a car jack. Protesters said that Ms Feeney had chained herself to the car jack, which also served as the main structural support for the chamber where she is holding out.
Meath County Council fire officers yesterday refused to enter the tunnel to try to bring her to the surface. By yesterday afternoon, her actions appeared to leave little work for a contingent of approximately 20 gardaí and about 30 construction workers.
After assessing the tunnel, fire officers decided that attempting a forcible entry would pose a threat to Ms Feeney's life, said Bill Sweeney, a spokesman for the council.
The workers and gardaí arrived at Rath Lugh at about 7am yesterday and began evicting protesters from the path of the motorway as workers tore down a temporary fort built into the side of the esker. The demolition work was delayed by 10 protesters who had chained themselves to rocks, metal cylinders and a 44-gallon drum that was dug and concreted into the hillside. Other protesters supplied their locked-in comrades with cigarettes and hot drinks as they peppered gardaí and workers with insults.
"Murderers," shouted one protester, Lou. "You are putting the life of a girl at risk."
Phillip Cantwell, an independent councillor with Trim town council, shouted that gardaí were assisting with an "illegal act" as Rath Lugh was a protected national monument. He said the motorway builders did not have the necessary approval to remove the protesters and begin work on Rath Lugh.
Seán O'Neill, a spokesman for the National Roads Authority, said the workers were trying to build a "crib wall" to support the Rath Lugh esker. "What the protesters are doing is counter-productive," said Mr O'Neill.
"The crib wall is there to protect the monument."
He was alarmed at the prospect of Ms Feeney staying underground for several months. "That is deeply concerning," he said. "If they've dug something far enough underground that they can stay there for several months they might be causing significant damage to the national monument itself."
© 2008 The Irish Times

I'm a little confused as to where exactly this tunnel is. I heard about it last week and saw a video of the whole thing, but it's still not clear, and as much as I think this whole thing is a big mess with no right answer, as an archaeologist (okay, not anymore as a job, but still...) I worry that they are doing more damage than they realise. The fact that they would tunnel at all really demonstrates their lack of understanding of the archaeological landscape, or how archaeological layers work under the ground. If all they recognise is an esker, then that's not very reassuring.

They've been tunnelling for six months, apparently. And I'm wondering if these people protesting at development without adequate protection of archaeological remains actually excavated their tunnel archaeologically?

Then there's the fact that some of the rhetoric is this weird neo-nationalist stuff that makes Dev's Dancing at the Crossroads shit sound restrained. They'd probably have a lot in common with Prof Rynne's lecture to Opus Dei about why the Irish are 'different', using pictures of knotwork as evidence of some ancient Irish super-race, a theory that was abandoned by most of the western world sometime around the late 1950s. (Not that the whole world was on about an Irish super-race, but where everyone declared their archaeology to be evidence that they are descended from an ancient super-race. It still hasn't been completely abandoned in Ireland, clearly.)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0315/tara.html
The M3 protestor who had been in a tunnel at the Rath Lugh national monument has emerged.

Lisa Feeney left the tunnel this evening after several hours of negotiations with gardaí from Navan, and talking to her father and fellow protestors.

Ms Feeney spent several days inside the 10 metre deep tunnel in an attempt to prevent construction work of the M3 motorway at Rath Lugh in the Tara/Skyrne valley.

She is unharmed and is said to be in good spirits.

quitter

Fuck's sake.
Laughed at!
Her da's a mate of Bertie's as well.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/squeak-surfaces-after-dads-plea-1318910.html

Only a couple of days!
I'd been convinced by the tunnel propaganda that she was planning to be in there for months, shitting in a plastic bag taped to her arse and eating baked beans.
Her iPod must have ran out of batteries.
Or maybe she finished every season of 24 on her portable DVD player and she saw no reason to continue.
She even called it with her fella before going in because she'd be there for so long!
Psychology graduate too, sure everyone knows they're all nutters, but at least she ploughed her way through three years of that.

Man they really take the piss in that article.This is my favorite bit..
Asked whether he was proud of his former girlfriend, Mr Kearney replied: "Well, I don't know -- seeing as she dumped me two weeks ago when she told me she was going down the hole."

Aw man what a dope. Trying to be the cool protestor, ends up doing more damage to the thing than the NRA was ever going to do (plus her damage creates no record of what they've destroyed) then the whole thing ascends to high comedy as it turns out she basically mates with the taoiseach and to cap it all they haul out the dopey boyfriend! This kind of crack is what gives protests for preservation of archaeological sites a bad name. We have had a series of events of pointless and ignorant destruction of archaeological sites, Wood Quay was particularly tragic, but in the case of the M3 I think certain people need to get a grip. The sites were not known before the road project began and similar sites are being dug every day. The company I work for dug a henge just like Lismullen during the summer and no one batted an eyelid even though it was known about by the Tara campaign. It is not possible to preserve every archaeological site, especially in Ireland where we have so much and I personally believe that excavation and 'preservation by record' mean that a lot of sites get more attention that they ever would have gotten otherwise. The standard of excavation on this particular stretch of the M3 is incredibly high thanks to media attention and more knowledge is likely to be drawn from these sites than could ever have happened otherwise.

Oh dear I seem to have gone on a rant. i do apologise

Fuck's sake.
Laughed at!
Her da's a mate of Bertie's as well.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/squeak-surfaces-after-dads-plea-1318910.html

Only a couple of days!
I'd been convinced by the tunnel propaganda that she was planning to be in there for months, shitting in a plastic bag taped to her arse and eating baked beans.
Her iPod must have ran out of batteries.
Or maybe she finished every season of 24 on her portable DVD player and she saw no reason to continue.
She even called it with her fella before going in because she'd be there for so long!
Psychology graduate too, sure everyone knows they're all nutters, but at least she ploughed her way through three years of that.

Squeek they call her...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back