Bands that were once good (1 Viewer)

Placebo's new single made me cringe, it's just like the time they tried rapping. :(:(:(:(

Are you kidding?
Placebo-brilliant, still one of my favourite albums.
Without you I'm nothing-great but one or two weaker songs.
Black market-half decent, one or two good one, rest is meh (why oh why did they bring rap into it??).
Sleeping with ghosts-eh pretty much ok, nothing great but not total crap.
Rest was shit, one more time was disappointing too as they've some fantastic b-sides they could have put on instead of yet another remix.
They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, the sfx in particular was fucking brilliant (day before Valentines day, Brian changed the words of my sweet prince to my sweet valentine :heart::heart:).
Went out with a guy for a few weeks cos he looked like Brian, didn't seem so creepy at the time.

The valentines gig! EVERYONE of a certain age was at that. It's like our prince charming dance.....

The valentines gig! EVERYONE of a certain age was at that. It's like our prince charming dance.....
Maybe that's why Kenosha kid didn't like them?

The sweat dripping from the ceiling, ugg.

I went to see them once because Kerbdog were supporting them and then again because Idlewild were supporting them. Both times with I is John's brother. Not saying anything..... just saying.... that's all.

So I've heard. Must check it out. I just miss the creepy sinister Smog from the old days

I kind of agree, but you can add Dongs of Sevotion and Rain on Lens to that list. I'm glad he's expanded his musical palette and I really like the new album, but his lyrics are losing their punch of late.

Smog only has one bad album (and that's cause he made it while he was happy with that harp-playing young wan). His new one is him back on miserable form again.

Smashing Pumpkins were great but went to shite fairly rapidly from the fourth album on.

I'm worried that the Flaming Lips have gone to fuck.

I only bought the last album cos I'm a Lips completist, but it was fairly shite.

I'm worried that the Flaming Lips have gone to fuck.

I only bought the last album cos I'm a Lips completist, but it was fairly shite.

I think they jumped the shark from Yoshimi onwards. The holy trinity of Lips albums are Hit To Death..., Transmissions... and CTM. Soft Bulletin is a great album in it's own right, but as it marks the departure of both Ronald Jones' guitar and Steve Drozd's drum sound it was the end of the band they once were and the beginning of the band they are now.

To be fair to a lot of these artists, it's kind of inevitable that some of them will change their tune once they get a bit older and achieve the goals they were striving for in their youth. If the Flaming Lips decided to grow their hair and re-write their old tunes it wouldn't turn back the clock, it would just be a bunch of fortysomethings fooling a bunch of thirtysomethings. Yet another thread would be 'bands who successfully matured their sound without losing their original audience'. It's a tricky road that often leads back to the beginning.

I think they jumped the shark from Yoshimi onwards. The holy trinity of Lips albums are Hit To Death..., Transmissions... and CTM. Soft Bulletin is a great album in it's own right, but as it marks the departure of both Ronald Jones' guitar and Steve Drozd's drum sound it was the end of the band they once were and the beginning of the band they are now.

To be fair to a lot of these artists, it's kind of inevitable that some of them will change their tune once they get a bit older and achieve the goals they were striving for in their youth. If the Flaming Lips decided to grow their hair and re-write their old tunes it wouldn't turn back the clock, it would just be a bunch of fortysomethings fooling a bunch of thirtysomethings. Yet another thread would be 'bands who successfully matured their sound without losing their original audience'. It's a tricky road that often leads back to the beginning.
here, here.

and there too. there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back