ATP loozers (1 Viewer)

Musically, it was definitely one of the better ATPs. My own highlights would have been (roughly in order) Bardo Pond, Nurse with Wound, Alexander Tucker, Richard Youngs, The Dead C, My Cat Is an Alien, Gang of Four and The Stooges.

Awesome Color were all right, as were the MC5/DKT. Sun City Girls were okay, but not even half as good as the previous time I'd seen them. Wolf Eyes were very dull; they seemed to have gotten super-serious and intense, and left the fun at home.

i thought Wolf Eyes were all about the fun!!

that was the best ever atp. Ah great festival...the only real disappointment were MC5...last time I saw Stooges they were crap but now maybe the best of the bunch. Other simply the bests: Mouthus, Negative Approach, Melvins, Sun City Girls.Eye/Gustaffson, Sonic Youth, Sun City Girls, Stooges, Gang Of Four, MC5, Maya Deren on the telly, water slides, getting my wrist band changed so I could see Sonic Youth & Iggy Pop - no hassle whatsoever.

Insert moaning about queues etc. Loads of great bands but not much use if you have to queue for an hour to get in to see them. Total bollox.

Having said that Dead C were completely and utterly awesome ...

that was the best ever atp. Ah great festival...the only real disappointment were MC5...last time I saw Stooges they were crap but now maybe the best of the bunch. Other simply the bests: Mouthus, Negative Approach, Melvins, Sun City Girls.Eye/Gustaffson, Sonic Youth, Sun City Girls, Stooges, Gang Of Four, MC5, Maya Deren on the telly, water slides, getting my wrist band changed so I could see Sonic Youth & Iggy Pop - no hassle whatsoever.

You were SOOOO drunk chief.

Frankly i thought the other ATP's i never went to were better than this one. Cant be certain though, as i was'nt at this one either. Where in the fuck are wheels and Hair ironmaiden?

this was the best ATP ever! a lot of moaning about queues and stuff from people, but honestly, where else would you get a festival where you get to see Stooges, MC5, Dinosaur Jr., Melvins, Negative Approach, Comets On Fire, Six Organs all over one weekend

Comets On Fire were the highlight for me

and i'm covered in fucking bruises after Stooges and Negative Approach

Georgie McFly are you calling me a moaner?

man, you were going crazy at dinosaur jr.!!! WTF!!!??

Frankly i thought the other ATP's i never went to were better than this one. Cant be certain though, as i was'nt at this one either. Where in the fuck are wheels and Hair ironmaiden?
wheels was looking rough at the airport.
and kidney. kidney was rough.

The next one ATP versus the fans looks pretty miserable...I'd love it if punters could vote for a curator instead. My shortlist so far: John Zorn, Steve Stapleton, Mark E Smith.
Thought Thurston Moore did a pretty good job, but not brilliant. While the highlights were amazing there were some serious nonentities on the bill too.

No Buzz #2: Missing the Notekillers....currently listening to their compilation, it's so sweet.

Pretty gutted I missed Negative Approach, as all reports of them were that they were really great. Also highly annoyed that Han Bennink/Peter Broetzmann, Mats Gustaffson/eYe and White Out all finished well before they were supposed to, so I ended up seeing none of them; I found the general tendency toward short sets even more annoying than all the queuing...

Did you think? I thought almost everyone played for too long (expect Dead C ... I could have listened to then all night). Maybe I just got a short attention span. You really would not have liked Lambsbread then. They played for 12 minutes. 12 minutes of guitar freakout and then walked off. T Moore flew then all the way from Ohio to play for 12 minutes. It was deadly.

pissed i missed lambsbread and aaron dilloway

negative approach were the highlight for me - out of control
played 'can't tell noone' twice

stooges were pretty stupid (but not totally unenjoyable) - one of the new songs (they played two maybe?) was pretty amazingly bad - "my idea of fun, is killing everyone" - me too

MY ATP REVIEW:

will come tomorrow cos right now my brain is fried.

stay tuned for the story of how iggy knocked out my girlfriend.
right. so managed to get front row centre for iggy and the stooges. figured i may as well get the full whack of a stooges show. little did i know that lady g-stereo would get the full whack of iggys boot in the head...
2 seconds in..
P4020065.jpg

10 seconds in..
P4020066.jpg

30 seconds in..
P4020068.jpg

here he is just as he leaps into the crowd. haha. it was pretty funny. she was okay but she was pulled out straight away. but either way i had to get out not too long after cos the push to the front was huge. they even broke the crowd barrier. all the security at the front were freaking out. they had to wedge a load of flight cases in front of the barrier.

atp CONS: too much noise rock shite.
PROS: some really great noise rock.

my biggest surprise of the weekend was sonic youth. really just didnt do anything for me. i thought they were far better at the 3 or 4 times i saw them on the sonic nurse tour. id say i was just too fucked after iggy but i was really disappointed. they even played teenage riot first. sound was poxy as well. felt it was forced too. except steve shelley. he always looks like he's having a great time.

melvins were really great. better at the second show. the 2 drumming thing is hit and miss though. mostly its fucking cool. cant imagine it in the village.

i really enjoyed flipper. it was verrrry samey but the thrill of seeing yer man from that band on bass was cool..
P4010027.jpg

P4010034.jpg

dino jr were amazing. they also featured the most pointless cameo of the weekend when lee ronaldo came out to sing on "little fury things". at least i think thats what it was.
loads of other great stuff. six organs. white out. notekillers (my unexpected highlight). gang of four. fursaxa. deerhoof etc etc.

special mention to the drummer from deerhoof for being genuinely funny when a string broke.

i think all the noise just made all the chord rock bands sound even better. it was really refreshing after coming from a wall of noise into stuff like the stooges and mc5.

mc5 were really awesome. wayne kramer is a fantastic showman and mark arm did a good job i reckon.

it was great to see some of ye out there. wheels, fauktaus, murph and the rest.

dr. fauktaus you left a pair of trousers in the chalet. right in the middle of the floor. ive got em here for you. ill PM them to you.

also thanks to butlins arcade i now have to go to gamblers anonymous.

more photos:
P4020069.jpg

P4020071.jpg

P4020072.jpg

P4040118.jpg

mc5 and mark arm(minus wayne K)
P4040119.jpg

P4040137.jpg

P4040138.jpg

the rooms

the bus was driven home by lesley nielson
P4040149.jpg

wheels was looking rough at the airport.
and kidney. kidney was rough.

minehead how appropriate a name. must have known of all the hangovers coming their way monday afternoon.

wheels was last seen heading in the direction of town last night possibly to the dinosaur jnr gig. seems the man cant get enough atp action.

i was last seen necking a freshly purchased bottle of wine to send me to sleep and avoid the alcohol shakes.

corey you'd a loved this minehead butlins place imagine putting an ilac centre of amusements and shit takeaways inside a circus bigtop and you can drink and smoke wherever you like (well you could if you knew how to get your pints out of the pubs).

i heard the offlicence in the supermarket did a roaring 'trade' sunday night in bottles of wine after 12am :D.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back