(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (1 Viewer)

Hi nlgbbbblth, I went to lodge a cheque me and the wife got as a wedding present but the thing was sent back to us because the cheque was made out to the two of us but the account is in my name (the cheque was crossed with a/c payee only). Your one on the phone said we could either get my uncle to re-issue the cheque (which would be mad awkward) or set up a joint account.

Do you reckon I could just go into another branch and hope they don't notice?

I'm not nlgbbbblth but I doubt it..Because it's crossed a/c payee only it means it can only be lodged into an account in the name of the exact payee. You could give it a try but it would probably just be easier to set up a joint account no?

Hi nlgbbbblth, I went to lodge a cheque me and the wife got as a wedding present but the thing was sent back to us because the cheque was made out to the two of us but the account is in my name (the cheque was crossed with a/c payee only). Your one on the phone said we could either get my uncle to re-issue the cheque (which would be mad awkward) or set up a joint account.

Do you reckon I could just go into another branch and hope they don't notice?

I wonder if you went into your home branch to cash it could they do it for you? You should have a relationship with them. Otherwise if you go to the branch where the cheque was written they might give to you in case there and then (depending on what bank it is). Sort code will be on the cheque so you can find out what branch it is and then ring them and ask them if they will cash it for you.

I don't think they can cash it if it's crossed a/c payee only..either at yr own branch or the branch the cheque is drawn on.

OUT OF OFFICE

Aaaagh. Common dilemma. Just at a wedding last week.
Major rule for wedding gifts: Never ever cross the cheque!!!!

Rules can be broken, totally depends on who you get.

My impression is that:
A) the crossing "Account payee only - not negotiable" is far more restrictive than "Account payee only".

B) the crossings "//" and "& Co" are meaningless

So as per A) some places will lodge it to a sole account once both payees have signed the back of the cheque.

Others will make you stick to the letter of the law (the Cheques Act)

not sure if that clarifies anything.

You could give it a try but it would probably just be easier to set up a joint account no?
Not really, she didn't take my last name so it probably wouldn't work anyway.

OUT OF OFFICE

Aaaagh. Common dilemma. Just at a wedding last week.
Major rule for wedding gifts: Never ever cross the cheque!!!!

Rules can be broken, totally depends on who you get.

My impression is that:
A) the crossing "Account payee only - not negotiable" is far more restrictive than "Account payee only".

B) the crossings "//" and "& Co" are meaningless

So as per A) some places will lodge it to a sole account once both payees have signed the back of the cheque.

Others will make you stick to the letter of the law (the Cheques Act)

not sure if that clarifies anything.
We'll sign the back and have another pop. If not, we'll probably just get him to re-issue, thanks for your help.

Another one from me.

I need loads of money. When I bought my gaff a year ago, we had to borrow a fair bit less than the value of the property. We want do up the place and sell it fairly quickly. Will a bank let us add to the value of the mortgage and we can either increase repayments or increase the length?

What dop you reckon?

Two questions:

1) How would you calculate your iban number? Is it best to get the bank to do it or can you do it yourself? Waiting to hear back from BOI for three days, need to put money into my account at home.

2) Is there any way to pay money from a BOI credit card into an MBNA credit card? Tried billpay.ie but that only goes from boi account into mbna. Want to trade my CCs off each other to keep the fees at bay for a while.

1) Your IBAN is a combination of
- The country code [IE]
- A two digit reference number [usually]
- An abbreviation of the Bank's name [say BOI]
- Sort code
- Account number

Too risky to do it yourself. One digit / letter wrong can cause chaos. Best get onto the Bank. They should have an IBAN generator on their system. Failing that, it appears on your statements. Can you or someone in your family get access to one?

2) Not easy. Almost impossible if you're out of the country
You'd have to do a cash advance on the BOI credit card.
i.e. withdraw funds via an ATM or across a bank counter.
This is liable to interest and a fee.
And then transfer the monies into your current account.
Then pay MBNA.

Not worth the hassle.

Nlgbbbblth, hear me now.

Missed payments on the credit card and had it cancelled a while back. They gave me a 'minimum' repayment rate of about 125 month, but i wont be able to meet it till sept.

Is it possible to for credit control to temporarily hold repayments on credit card accounts?

Like, if i ring em tommorrow and say 'listen homecheese, i wont have any greenbacks till september/october, how bout yous simply wait till then and throw some interest on what i owe you?'

Will they laugh?

Will i feel stupid?

so BOI credit card services seem to have decided that the combination of booking accommodation in other countries before you leave for your holidays and then having the temerity to actually buy stuff while on holidays constitutes suspicious activity on an account, and so took it upon themselves to block my one and only credit card about 10 days into my holiday.

it took two phone calls from australia to get the block lifted, since while attempting to verify transactions the joker in BOI CC Security told me that there had been internet transaction activity within the last 3 hours with a company in tokyo. (This was impossible, but I suggested to him that it was some stuff left over from the tokyo leg of the trip only hitting the card so. "No" he insisted multiple times "it's an attempted online transaction within the last 3 hours". After I hung up on him I did some checking and it turned out to be call charges from some rented mobile phones in Tokyo.)

ANYWAY, here's my question:

Since they blocked the card without notifying me, and since their erroneous information further delayed the reactivation of the card, can i have the cost of the phonecalls from Australia reimbursed? They only offered to call me back halfway through the second call, but at that stage there was no point.

if you scream enough, yes, if only to get you to shut the hell up

is it worth the effort though?

I'm pretty sure their security system would win an argument against you saying it's garbage in court though

i got great satisfaction telling him he'd been less that useless, that i was cancelling the card as soon as i got home and then hanging up.

i was not so satisfied ringing back 20 minutes later and getting put through to the same person. oh well.

so BOI credit card services seem to have decided that the combination of booking accommodation in other countries before you leave for your holidays and then having the temerity to actually buy stuff while on holidays constitutes suspicious activity on an account, and so took it upon themselves to block my one and only credit card about 10 days into my holiday.

it took two phone calls from australia to get the block lifted, since while attempting to verify transactions the joker in BOI CC Security told me that there had been internet transaction activity within the last 3 hours with a company in tokyo. (This was impossible, but I suggested to him that it was some stuff left over from the tokyo leg of the trip only hitting the card so. "No" he insisted multiple times "it's an attempted online transaction within the last 3 hours". After I hung up on him I did some checking and it turned out to be call charges from some rented mobile phones in Tokyo.)

ANYWAY, here's my question:

Since they blocked the card without notifying me, and since their erroneous information further delayed the reactivation of the card, can i have the cost of the phonecalls from Australia reimbursed? They only offered to call me back halfway through the second call, but at that stage there was no point.

they ("Banks") recommend that if you're going abroad you notify them before you leave saying
1) where you're going
2) dates you'll be away

a marker is put on the account so the card isn't blocked.

it's not an ideal situation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back