(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (2 Viewers)

i got great satisfaction telling him he'd been less that useless, that i was cancelling the card as soon as i got home and then hanging up.

i was not so satisfied ringing back 20 minutes later and getting put through to the same person. oh well.

heh, I just told a guy to read the bank secrecy act of 1970 and come back to me.

god I'm a jerk

God I hated customers who threatened to close their accounts..As if they were suddenly gonna get their own way once they said it..I used to politely inform them that it was their choice where they held their accounts and told them the procedure if they wanted to switch to another bank...I don't think even one of them ever changed...arseholes..

Not to say that you were in the wrong or anything Pete!!But I think almost all credit card companies invoke the same procedure now. And a fair few won't hold any information on file about where yr going so it's gonna happen..There was an article about it in the Observer travel section a few weeks ago..

Ah here now. I didn't say i was cancelling the card as some kind of petulant threat because I couldn't get my way - I think at this stage of the game we all know that most of the drones on the other end of the line just don't give a fuck.

The automatic blocking of the card wasn't the issue, even though it's fucking stupid since they don't seem to have made any attempt to contact me first. The issue was the idiocy of refusing to reactivate it until I confirmed the validity of a €7 charge when they gave me almost entirely incorrect information on which to base my assessment. At any point I could have just said "yes, i recognise that charge" but I wouldn't a. on principle and b. because i'd have no comeback if there were a fraudulent charge at some point in the future.

Since all those calls are recorded "for training purposes" I made a point of explaining exactly why he was in the wrong and that the cancellation of the card was a direct result of his fuck up, so that when I write to them in a couple of weeks they can go back to verify the story.

Yeah, I know....

oh i didn't mean to imply you were being an arsehole!! If the idiot on the phone wasn't helping then yr right to make a point..I meant it more in terms of people who are in the wrong and are using it as a threat!

Oh I did, you're such a jerk Pete. I bet the phone number they have on file for you is out of date because you never bothered to tell them you changed numbers

Until what time of the day do the banks continue shifting money from account to account? My salary got paid yesterday and it's still not there on my account though it's gone from the BOI account of my employer. I've AIB, 50 cents in the pocket and another 81 cents on the account. This weekend is gonna be gr8

Until what time of the day do the banks continue shifting money from account to account? My salary got paid yesterday and it's still not there on my account though it's gone from the BOI account of my employer. I've AIB, 50 cents in the pocket and another 81 cents on the account. This weekend is gonna be gr8

five updates a week

Monday night
Tuesday night
Wednesday night
Thursday night
Friday night

if there's a bank holiday no update on that Monday night

Check your account in the morning - I imagine that the funds should be accessible via the ATM.

Don't ask for a mini statement - that will only show you transactions up to close of business today (Friday)

ask for your available balance instead.

generally speaking
and
assuming employer and employee bank in different banks
Leaves employer's account Monday, arrives in employees account Wednesday

Leaves Tuesday, arrives Thursday
Leaves Wednesday, arrives Friday
Leaves Thursday, arrives Monday [but accessible via ATM from Saturday]
Leaves Friday, arrives Tuesday

if there's a bank holiday
Leaves Thursday, arrives Tuesday [but accessible via ATM from Saturday]
Leaves Friday, arrives Wednesday

Hope to fuck I'm right after all that

Direct debits are really hard to stop, right? Are laser card payments any easier or is it effectively the same thing? I've been paying a bill by credit card for the last while but thinking of switching to laser card instead, if it's not going to be a pain in the mickeys to cancel when my contract is up with the company who're billing me. (I suspect they will want to just keep billing me after the contract ends and that active cancellation will be needed on my end.)

direct debits on a credit card are a big no no. Extremely difficult to cancel.

Paying a bill by credit card is fine if you're doing it manually each time. Likewise paying a bill by laser is fine too if it's you that controls when it goes out - i.e. they're not processing 'cardholder not present' transactions.

If your method of payment by laser just involves you giving them the long laser card number ONCE and they take money out every time it's due, then it's a tricky one to stop.

they ("Banks") recommend that if you're going abroad you notify them before you leave saying
1) where you're going
2) dates you'll be away

a marker is put on the account so the card isn't blocked.

it's not an ideal situation though.

This happened to me last year, only instead of reactivating my card when I confirmed the transactions, the person I spoke to made a mistake and confused my call with her previous call and CANCELLED my credit card, leaving me in foreign country with a large accommodation bill I had no way of paying. Thanks Bank of Ireland!

She was very apologetic about it and admitted the mistake, so I didn't mind. And they DHLed me a new card. But still!

direct debits on a credit card are a big no no. Extremely difficult to cancel.

Paying a bill by credit card is fine if you're doing it manually each time. Likewise paying a bill by laser is fine too if it's you that controls when it goes out - i.e. they're not processing 'cardholder not present' transactions.

If your method of payment by laser just involves you giving them the long laser card number ONCE and they take money out every time it's due, then it's a tricky one to stop.

I haven't been doing it manually at all, it just goes out every month. Meep.

My credit card expires at the end of the month and they've been onto me wanting 'updated payment details'. Next payment comes out the day after tomorrow so I'm not too worried about them getting that one, but I don't want to miss the one after that. The only payment options mentioned in my account on their website are credit card, laser card and direct debit, and I'm down as credit card at the moment (which is why I kinda assumed it wasn't a direct debit).
Any advice? Thanks Nigglebath :)

I haven't been doing it manually at all, it just goes out every month. Meep.

My credit card expires at the end of the month and they've been onto me wanting 'updated payment details'. Next payment comes out the day after tomorrow so I'm not too worried about them getting that one, but I don't want to miss the one after that. The only payment options mentioned in my account on their website are credit card, laser card and direct debit, and I'm down as credit card at the moment (which is why I kinda assumed it wasn't a direct debit).
Any advice? Thanks Nigglebath :)

Three options. None particularly attractive.

It's not a direct debit unless you sign a mandate.

Credit card - yours is expiring soon. Assume you don't want to continue this method.

Laser card - I've seen people pay online by laser but always one-offs. Maybe check out with them if it'll be automated (controlled by them) or manual each time.

Direct debit is probably the lesser of these three evils.

[Re-hashing an old post here but the principle applies]

If you want to stop paying somebody by direct debit you should:

- Write a letter to the originator stating that you no longer wish to avail of their services and request that they cease taking monies from your bank account.
- Send a copy of this letter to your bank.

Sending the copy of the letter to the bank does not mean that they will take it upon themselves to watch your account on a daily basis and return unpaid any unwanted direct debits. Systems make it difficult to 'block' the direct debit from being debited from the account - unlike say cancelling a cheque or standing order. If they or you see the direct debit going through on the day, then it can be returned unpaid. UPDATE the blocking methods seem to have improved.

Effectively the originator has to remove your bank details from its monthly direct debit run. If they don't the cycle of misery and despair may continue.

Sending the copy of the letter to the bank ensures that in the event of a dispute you are covered under the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme. Essentially that means that you have proof that you requested the direct debits be cancelled and are entitled to a refund from the originator. As I said, it can take time to get this refund.

If you don't cancel the payment in writing then you are entirely at the mercy of the originator's goodwill.

The easiest way to pay a bill is OLD SKOOL.

Post them a cheque every time.

dealing with direct debit nightmares and bank charges are a large part of my job

I just got a student credit card (disasterous I know but it's a very low limit) and I've set up the anytime banking to see the statements etc but shouldn't my current account be in there too? How do I go about adding that to the anytime banking? Anyone?

This whole financial sector meltdown has me thinking: what's the level of protection for savings within Irish banks? I heard on the news yesterday that savers are protected for up to 20k, does this apply to all banks? Does this mean that if your bank goes belly up and you have savings in there that the Govt will reimburse you up to 20k?

I believe that it's 90% up to 20 grand.

That bollocks Hobbs was on the radio yesterday and pointed out that NIB is owned by Danske Bank and their government protection is far higher than ours so if they/NIB went tits up you'd get more money back off of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back