• Replies 392
  • Views 63K
  • Watchers 12
shitepipe said:
mmmmmm.... rothko......

Rothko.jpg

mmm. Seagram Murals.

Moving briskly along...
OG goth illustrator, and nightmare-imagineer extraordinaire, Symbolist painter Odilon Redon

474px-Redon_smiling-spider.jpg

egg_ said:
Here, shitepipe, what is it about that that you like? I don't get it :confused:

i dunno, there's just something very powerful about his paintings, and i'm not usually into the ultra abstract artists.

firstly, you absolutely have to be standing with the real paintings to experience them properly, there's almost a hum off them, a real energy. they're normally enormous paintings with these huge areas of colour which are just undefined enough to remain interesting close up, and defined enough to create relationships between different areas in the painting.

i mean, if you dont like them you dont like them, and there has been an awful lot of shite written about them trying to intellectuallise them and 'justfy' them. personally i just like them on a very base level- they strike a chord somehow, without having to think about them..

shitepipe said:
i dunno, there's just something very powerful about his paintings, and i'm not usually into the ultra abstract artists.

firstly, you absolutely have to be standing with the real paintings to experience them properly, there's almost a hum off them, a real energy. they're normally enormous paintings with these huge areas of colour which are just undefined enough to remain interesting close up, and defined enough to create relationships between different areas in the painting.

i mean, if you dont like them you dont like them, and there has been an awful lot of shite written about them trying to intellectuallise them and 'justfy' them. personally i just like them on a very base level- they strike a chord somehow, without having to think about them..
i read some quotation the other day along the lines of "i don't know what going for a swim in the sea is about, but i enjoy it anyway".
in the place i lived last year i used to have a big rothko poster over my bed, a big dark blue yoke. i should dig it out again.

Super Dexta said:
i read some quotation the other day along the lines of "i don't know what going for a swim in the sea is about, but i enjoy it anyway".
in the place i lived last year i used to have a big rothko poster over my bed, a big dark blue yoke. i should dig it out again.

funny, i read that in the last few weeks as well, great quote- exactly what i mean...

Just going back to industrial stuff, one of my favourite Stark pieces/designs:
b-xo-09.jpg

also really like this but probably more so because I own one and it's one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat on and I've sat on a few.

KT-EROS.jpg

I've the clear one in the middle, didn't come with a girl though.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Me too, I have two lamps.

Can any of you trained art people (mugag perhaps) tell me in lay man's terms (i.e. not from google or wikipedia) what a print is exactly - also a lithograph.

Thanks.

I dont know the right terms in English, but I can try and explain it anyway :)I did etching in copper. You would first etch the motive onto the copper with an etching needle and then you can do a few things. I started to print them with no further treatment to the copper and you would see a very fine line drawing almost. Very nice and simple. I had a very good artist teaching me to use acid aswell. The acid works like the needle but creates a much richer and smoother surface to the copper. You apply a layer of protecting coating we called it "hardground"...as I said...dont know the proper terms. And the protected areas will stay free of the acid eg. it will be white on the print. the longer you leave the copper in the acid the darker the print. We used a homemade etching key with the times for this. I did this for a while. You can then combine different techniques into one print. I also used "softground" which is also a protective layer but it wont harden so it is more versitile and fun to use. It cant stay in the acid for long though. I used this for a few etchings too. It is such a cool thing, but slow. I love how it looks together with modern media as the internet and stuff. Very nice. You should be able to borrow book on the libriary about this. I am not a trained artist, but have done it after school for a year. Its great. I have never done lithos so I wouldnt know how to do that...sorry.

This is softground:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9314350/

And hardground:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23723086/

mugagag said:
I dont know the right terms in English, but I can try and explain it anyway :)I did etching in copper. You would first etch the motive onto the copper with an etching needle and then you can do a few things. I started to print them with no further treatment to the copper and you would see a very fine line drawing almost. Very nice and simple. I had a very good artist teaching me to use acid aswell. The acid works like the needle but creates a much richer and smoother surface to the copper. You apply a layer of protecting coating we called it "hardground"...as I said...dont know the proper terms. And the protected areas will stay free of the acid eg. it will be white on the print. the longer you leave the copper in the acid the darker the print. We used a homemade etching key with the times for this. I did this for a while. You can then combine different techniques into one print. I also used "softground" which is also a protective layer but it wont harden so it is more versitile and fun to use. It cant stay in the acid for long though. I used this for a few etchings too. It is such a cool thing, but slow. I love how it looks together with modern media as the internet and stuff. Very nice. You should be able to borrow book on the libriary about this. I am not a trained artist, but have done it after school for a year. Its great. I have never done lithos so I wouldnt know how to do that...sorry.

This is softground:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9314350/

And hardground:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23723086/

Cheers bro. Coincidentally there is an exhibition on in the National Gallery (started yesterday) with the title 'what is a print'? so I'll try and head along this week and educate myself.

starck's eros chairs if I am not mistook? The one you have owes a big debt to eames's eiffel chair, 4 of which I will own. When I have a spare grand and a half.

eames_eiffel_la.jpg

moose said:
also really like this but probably more so because I own one and it's one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat on and I've sat on a few.

KT-EROS.jpg

I've the clear one in the middle, didn't come with a girl though.

sir john everett millais' death of ophelia is my all time favourite. love most of the other pre-raphaelites, but this one stands out

Ophelia.jpg

also love the shock factor of francis bacon's pope innocent x

innocent_X.jpg

potlatch said:

I will own one of these Eames loungers.

Kirstie, both bases are called the eiffel base. not sure who should be credited perhaps the designer of the Eiffel Tower?

Actually I'm gonna try and find out with google's help. Back in a bit.

thank you! Printed graphics always look great, I have loads of drawings which would look nice in that medium. I am on the look for an old press, but its not something you drag home in a rented flat! veery heavy they are :)

moose said:
I will own one of these Eames loungers.

Kirstie, both bases are called the eiffel base. not sure who should be credited perhaps the designer of the Eiffel Tower?

Actually I'm gonna try and find out with google's help. Back in a bit.

Until this thread I had always wondered who the hell bought those very expensive pieces of modern furniture, but I sort of understand it now. If I could afford it I wouldn't think twice about spending a fair bit of money on art for the house and I suppose if you look upon high-end design furniture as art it's the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back