Art you like (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 392
  • Views 63K
  • Watchers 12
Eames, those chairs were designed in 1950.

moose said:
I will own one of these Eames loungers.

Kirstie, both bases are called the eiffel base. not sure who should be credited perhaps the designer of the Eiffel Tower?

Actually I'm gonna try and find out with google's help. Back in a bit.

True. I think i just confused myself there.

Let me know if you ever get get the cash together for the Eames chairs and I should able to get you a good price.

I'm alittle biased but the guy who did the painting that I use as my avatar is one of my favourites. here's his version of songs about fucking especially for Oh shit
songs.jpg

And Cats, Sex and Nazis

cats.jpg

mugagag said:
thank you! Printed graphics always look great, I have loads of drawings which would look nice in that medium. I am on the look for an old press, but its not something you drag home in a rented flat! veery heavy they are :)

It's my new wallpaper on my PC. Hope you don't mind.

I guess it all leads on, from one thing to another. Once you begin to have an appreciation for the things that surround you, then you inevitably become more discerning I suppose. Plus owning a licenced repro of an eames chair will probably cost you 200-300 euro but who can afford to buy paintings by famous artists they like? I'm a products and furniture junkie anyway, I absolutely love chairs in particular.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Until this thread I had always wondered who the hell bought those very expensive pieces of modern furniture, but I sort of understand it now. If I could afford it I wouldn't think twice about spending a fair bit of money on art for the house and I suppose if you look upon high-end design furniture as art it's the same thing.

It was Eames. Honest guv.
And how would this good price come about? Interested am I.
moose said:
I give up. I'll just give credit to the Eames'.

Let me know if you ever get get the cash together for the Eames chairs and I should able to get you a good price.

I've worked for Haus on and off for about ten years.

Some of the repro chairs I've seen are really good. I reckon it all gets a bit wierd with the originals. Are the vitra one's originals or does it have to be Herman Miller and then there's a new company doing them in the states too.

Sorry the posts got confused there. I'm aware the Eames was designed about 50 years before the Ero s I was wondering whether the designer(s) of the Eiffel Tower were credited at all.

Hinterhesting! I think Vitra are the European licencees and Herman Miller are licenced for the states but both would be proper licenced repros. As far as I know. What priice are Haus doing the eames eiffel for do you know? I try not to go in too often, all that wanting makes me weep.

moose said:

Some of the repro chairs I've seen are really good. I reckon it all gets a bit wierd with the originals. Are the vitra one's originals or does it have to be Herman Miller and then there's a new company doing them in the states too.

Sorry the posts got confused there. I'm aware the Eames was designed about 50 years before the Ero s I was wondering whether the designer(s) of the Eiffel Tower were credited at all.

moose said:

the designer of the eiffel tower being gustave eiffel.

and its simply a trussed system, an idea which doesnt really belong to anyone, a bit like giving credit for using a beam, or a table leg.

and if you buy any of these try go directly to vitra/ fritz hansen or whover, say you're a designer (and bullshit about some project) and you can get 40% off, which is the trade price. They're such an unbelievable rip off.

eames_large.jpg

this used to be a favourite alright, then we got one in the office and to be honest, its a bit clunky...

I've no idea I tend to not look at the prices too often when I'm there which isn't too often these days since I moved to Wales. I'm sure it's some kinda ridiculous amount though.

These look good, an american company called modernica are producing
mdsseiffel.jpg

Good advice on the getting cheap from Vitra it's gonna be a long time before I can afford one even at 40% off.

They are chunky alright you defo need a big room for one. Out of curiousity where do you work? Just wondering if I've been there.

Mumbling Deaf Ro if you're still not sure about print. Print is an art form in itself where the artist poduces something from which to make multiple images from.

This could be as simple as scratching a drawing into a piece of metal. You then cover the metal with ink pushing it into the scratches, wiping away the excess run it through a press. There are lots of other techniques including silkscreen which is what Andy Warhol used and is also commercially used to print t-shirts etc.

The lithograph of paintings would not be considered print in the fine art sense as they are reproductions of painting using photogrpahic means rather than new works of art produced specifically for the medium of print. These are just reproductions.

shitepipe said:
in amsterdam. in an office. i'd seriously doubt you've been there ;)

Fair enough. If it was Dublin there might've been a chance. I have been to an office in Amsterdam but it was in a hostel.

I sat in these at the weekend. Not comfortable at all. I like what Rietveld was getting at but they just don't work.

gtr_zchair1.jpg

Rietveld.jpg

Also sat on one of those Eames aluminium chairs last week:

Eames%20Alum%20Chair%20collection.jpge9804e80-6a68-4c89-8ab4-6107744e7da7Large.jpg

(The one in the middle, front). One of the most comfortable chairs I've ever satten in.

Pete, can u split this off into a chairs thread? :)

You should try the one far right back row. Super comfy with extra padding.

I managed to pick up a damaged one of these super cheap a while ago too.

ZNCHR001_r.jpg

Monkey said:
Mumbling Deaf Ro if you're still not sure about print. Print is an art form in itself where the artist poduces something from which to make multiple images from.

This could be as simple as scratching a drawing into a piece of metal. You then cover the metal with ink pushing it into the scratches, wiping away the excess run it through a press. There are lots of other techniques including silkscreen which is what Andy Warhol used and is also commercially used to print t-shirts etc.

The lithograph of paintings would not be considered print in the fine art sense as they are reproductions of painting using photogrpahic means rather than new works of art produced specifically for the medium of print. These are just reproductions.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back