Art Deco Buildings (3 Viewers)

Yeah, it's crazy, I hadn't thought about how much Art Deco there is until this thread. I mean, I love the stuff, I just never realised how many I could think of, even offhand.

What's additionally exciting, I think, is the context of Dublin's Deco buildings. I know they might not delight the purist, but if you think about the post-Civil War thing, the Free State, and you've got Ireland really consciously entering a new era, people must have looked at those buildings and thought, "Jaysus, we're really modderen now." I dunno.

Maybe they didn't. But I like to think it might have been really exciting for a lot of people, especially considering the nature of these new buildings: cinemas for the picture show, post offices for the new nation (because a huge number of post BOXES are still Victorian and Edwardian and pre-Free State), libraries for the bukes (okay, most of these are probably Carnegie, and are Edwardian in date), The Gas company -- so much newfangledness, like.

wide:
Helsinki_Railway_Station_20050604.jpg

closeup:
Helsinki_station_statues.JPG

Holy lord jesus and all the angels and saints in heaven, those are the coolest fucking lights I ever did see. Where is that?
It's the railway station in Helsinki...used to be too close to home to appreciate the art deco shit going on down there, saw an exhibition at V&A in London with 7 or 9 cities chosen around the world for their art deco yokes, just photographs of buildings, Helsinki was one of them. There's some nice stuff alright, hope they don't replace Everything with glass and chrome now

142866570_e830c10b2e.jpg

Post Office Rathmines

damn, i was just about to post that one. it's a pleasure to queue somewhere so pretty - like permanent tsb on abbey street, which has the most unexpected, fancy interior (which i won't even try to place from memory, period-wise).

didn't spot this one, so the former adelphi cinema:

Adelpijx.jpg

Yeah, it's crazy, I hadn't thought about how much Art Deco there is until this thread. I mean, I love the stuff, I just never realised how many I could think of, even offhand.

What's additionally exciting, I think, is the context of Dublin's Deco buildings. I know they might not delight the purist, but if you think about the post-Civil War thing, the Free State, and you've got Ireland really consciously entering a new era, people must have looked at those buildings and thought, "Jaysus, we're really modderen now." I dunno.

Maybe they didn't. But I like to think it might have been really exciting for a lot of people, especially considering the nature of these new buildings: cinemas for the picture show, post offices for the new nation (because a huge number of post BOXES are still Victorian and Edwardian and pre-Free State), libraries for the bukes (okay, most of these are probably Carnegie, and are Edwardian in date), The Gas company -- so much newfangledness, like.

think you could say the same about the purist with most irish architecture historically, right? the non-purist bit and why it is as it is seems to be the interesting part.

the gas building still kind of gets me excited about the future. i think it's an amazing thing and still can't figure out why it makes me feel like that, like world's fairs do too. it's not just thinking something's beautiful, it's some naive and ungainly surge of joy, and whenever i start to understand what's going on, i'm going to spend the rest of my life on it.

i'm skipping away off topic and will shut up but not before using the excuse to post a picture of my zine's namesake:

CarbideAndCarbon-003.jpg

art deco :heart:

Ah jaysus lads I'm in heaven! Really didn't realise the amount of deco buildings in Dublin. I just love them. I presume a lot of them aren't afforded the status of protected structures like the Georgian ones are? if this is the case in reality a lot of them could fall into disrepair and the owners won't be forced to do anything. I ask this because I spotted one in Terenure/Rathgar a few months ago (its a furniture shop if I recall) and its looking really tattered and not well cared for and then I began to worry that if it was sold on to a developer for example they may either attempt to redevelop it without incorporating any of the art deco features or let it get into such a state that there would be no option for them but to knock it so as to bypass any restrictions the Dublin City Council would put on its redevelopment.

Kirstie, I know those houses on the Howth Road. We drove over especially to see them! I think one of them is for sale of over a million:rolleyes:

Ah jaysus lads I'm in heaven! Really didn't realise the amount of deco buildings in Dublin. I just love them. I presume a lot of them aren't afforded the status of protected structures like the Georgian ones are? if this is the case in reality a lot of them could fall into disrepair and the owners won't be forced to do anything. I ask this because I spotted one in Terenure/Rathgar a few months ago (its a furniture shop if I recall) and its looking really tattered and not well cared for and then I began to worry that if it was sold on to a developer for example they may either attempt to redevelop it without incorporating any of the art deco features or let it get into such a state that there would be no option for them but to knock it so as to bypass any restrictions the Dublin City Council would put on its redevelopment.

Kirstie, I know those houses on the Howth Road. We drove over especially to see them! I think one of them is for sale of over a million:rolleyes:

Deco stuff is very much 'in' at the minute. I presume the building you are talking about is an old cinema. No surviving deco features will be demolished in this city whether on the Record of Protected Structures or not, they are too highly valued these days by all stakeholders IMO.

Some fairly poor/everydya examples recently reimagined/retained where the cross guns porterhouse and the facade of the former cinema/bowling alley on North Strand, neither of which were hugely important architecturally but were retained out of trendiness -not saying they were unworthy of retention-that's just my read of the architects/developers MO.

The biggest/grandest deco building to bite the dust was the theatre royal, where the screen cinema and Hawkins house is now. A 4k all seated theatre/variety show venue of the kind that this city has desperately needed since it was torn down! someone with the time should google images and post them here.

this is from 50s but gorgeous everyday interiors

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The biggest/grandest deco building to bite the dust was the theatre royal, where the screen cinema and Hawkins house is now. A 4k all seated theatre/variety show venue of the kind that this city has desperately needed since it was torn down! someone with the time should google images and post them here.

at least we've got Hawkins House...

Again, not in Dublin, but this is where I work (Broadcasting House in London):

bh.jpg

It's luvly. I've been here over a year and still get a kick out of walking through the doors every morning. It's been done up recently in original art deco colours on the inside, has lots of deadly oak pannelling and even the original lifts (which are quite slow, as you can imagine).

ooh I have admired this place before - you're quite near oxford street, aren't you?

Again, not in Dublin, but this is where I work (Broadcasting House in London):

bh.jpg

It's luvly. I've been here over a year and still get a kick out of walking through the doors every morning. It's been done up recently in original art deco colours on the inside, has lots of deadly oak pannelling and even the original lifts (which are quite slow, as you can imagine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back