Apple PowerBook G4 Soundcard question.. (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
howyiz.

okay deep breath..

I have a 550MHz Powerbook G4, (it's a few years old obviously) and I am currently discovering the joys of Ableton Live. I've been using it with Reason 2 and I'm making a right auld racket.

you see, I'm a bit out of touch with more recent soundcard technology, having been on hiatus from making and recording music on a computer for a while. besides I was previously a PC user!

anyway, my powerbook is from the era when apple made the baffling decision not to include line/mic inputs. I wish to record external material (eg: guitar) so obviously I need an input.. or inputs I guess! the more the merrier, (I also play drums apparantly..). Anyway here's what I'd like to do, and if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations regarding this annoying question, I'd be really grateful. THANK YOU!

1. I would like to record. more than one track at a time would be VERY nice, but not essential.

2. I don't need multiple outputs, but I'm not offended by them

3. something relatively portable. A break out box is perfectly cool with me. as long as it's not MASSIVE!

4. A latency related question. This is my biggest wonderment: I would like to be able to play (eg; guitar/voice) through my computer and monitor er, live through Live while adding effects in realtime. I've done this a few times before on a crappy old PC before but with an atrocious latency time. Is this issue solvable with a soundcard or is it purely a processor issue? oh, and I hope to run it with reason 2 as well. they seem to sync together quite nicely. does this impact on overall latency.

5. If there are solutions, I suppose the cheaper the better, but suggest away anyway, regardless of le price..

hmm.. I had another desired condition but I can't remember it right now. pardon my ignorance on this subject matter, but ta for reading!!!
cheers. plug

:D :D :D :D :D :D

plug said:
howyiz.

okay deep breath..

I have a 550MHz Powerbook G4, (it's a few years old obviously) and I am currently discovering the joys of Ableton Live. I've been using it with Reason 2 and I'm making a right auld racket.

you see, I'm a bit out of touch with more recent soundcard technology, having been on hiatus from making and recording music on a computer for a while. besides I was previously a PC user!

anyway, my powerbook is from the era when apple made the baffling decision not to include line/mic inputs. I wish to record external material (eg: guitar) so obviously I need an input.. or inputs I guess! the more the merrier, (I also play drums apparantly..). Anyway here's what I'd like to do, and if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations regarding this annoying question, I'd be really grateful. THANK YOU!

1. I would like to record. more than one track at a time would be VERY nice, but not essential.

2. I don't need multiple outputs, but I'm not offended by them

3. something relatively portable. A break out box is perfectly cool with me. as long as it's not MASSIVE!

4. A latency related question. This is my biggest wonderment: I would like to be able to play (eg; guitar/voice) through my computer and monitor er, live through Live while adding effects in realtime. I've done this a few times before on a crappy old PC before but with an atrocious latency time. Is this issue solvable with a soundcard or is it purely a processor issue? oh, and I hope to run it with reason 2 as well. they seem to sync together quite nicely. does this impact on overall latency.

5. If there are solutions, I suppose the cheaper the better, but suggest away anyway, regardless of le price..

hmm.. I had another desired condition but I can't remember it right now. pardon my ignorance on this subject matter, but ta for reading!!!
cheers. plug

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Latency is a processor issue BUT most decent soundcards do all the DSP onboard. It's not really an problem once you buy a half decent soundcard.

Suggestions:

Expensive
RME Hammerfall Multiface/Digiface/FirefaceMotu 828 Mk2
Digidesign Digi 01 or 02
(the rme's have the best d->a and a->d of any soundcard in the same pricerange on the market)

Mid-price
M-Audio 410 Firewire
Digidesign M-Box
Steinberg VSL2020
actually there' loads of decent mid-price cards on the market at the mo...

aoboa said:
Latency is a processor issue BUT most decent soundcards do all the DSP onboard. It's not really an problem once you buy a half decent soundcard.

Suggestions:

Expensive
RME Hammerfall Multiface/Digiface/FirefaceMotu 828 Mk2
Digidesign Digi 01 or 02
(the rme's have the best d->a and a->d of any soundcard in the same pricerange on the market)

Mid-price
M-Audio 410 Firewire
Digidesign M-Box
Steinberg VSL2020
actually there' loads of decent mid-price cards on the market at the mo...
cheers for that! I was out of work with diseases for the last few days, but I'll look into your suggestions.. ta :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back