Apocalypse movies... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Corm
  • Start date
  • Replies 100
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 9
read steinbeck. NOW.

Grapes of Wrath would be one of the few books I rate at a similar level to A Day in the life.
Steinbeck was the author that was coming into my head more than once when I was trying to think of books at that level.
I am a fan of Russian stuff, and a fair bit of eastern European stuff. The Painted Bird is another amazing book, but A Day In the Life of is exceptional.

I didn't find it at all depressing, perfect sentence after perfect sentence, like Steinbeck or Roth.
I was absolutely turned off literature by the type of shite Yeats (et al) kept on about, Steinbeck, Solzhenitsyn, and George Orwell got me reading again.
(Down and out in Paris and London also rules.)

Levels though are similar to like/dislike. Different art has different impacts on different people. You might think Catcher In The Rye is a masterpiece and I might think it's bollix and I might think that On The Road is seminal and you might say it's a load of old jizz.

Tru dat alright.

I was just a chisler at the time.
I still think WB Yeats was an awful thing to do to children though.

That fucking statue in the Sandymount green, --Cast a cold eye On life, on death. Horseman, pass by.--

EVERY.
FUCKING.
TIME.
I WENT DOWN THE SHOPS TO BUY SWEETS.

I knew it was there. I would try to pretend to myself that I missed it. But, I knew. The prick. There.

AND YOU'RE GOING TO DIE TOO YOUNG MAN!!!!!

Thanks.
10 fizzy coke bottles before my bike gets nicked please.

2012 Doomsday said:
On December 21, 2012 four strangers on a journey of faith are drawn to an ancient temple in the heart of Mexico. For the Mayans it is the last recorded day. For NASA scientists it is a cataclysmic polar shift. For the rest of us, it is Doomsday.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132130/

Left Behind said:
Rayford Steele is an airline pilot whose relationship with his wife has gone sour;he ponders having an affair with an attractive flight attendant, Hattie Durham. In the midst of a flight to London, a number of their passengers mysteriously disappear, and chaos takes hold as a number of vehicles on the ground and in the air are suddenly unmanned. Meanwhile, Buck Williams, a television journalist, is pondering the rash of sudden disappearances as he works on a report about Dr. Chaim Rosenzweig, an Israeli scientist who has devised a formula that would make any soil on earth easy to cultivate. However, Buck wonders if there's more to Rosenzweig than he first imagined when he discovers the doctor is in cahoots with two multi-millionaires who plan to broker the invention to promote their own agenda of international domination.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190524/

Left Behind II said:
Those left behind face war, famine, plagues, and natural disaster so devastating that only one in four people will survive. Odds are even worse for the enemies of the Antichrist and his new world order. Rayford Steele, Buck Williams, Bruce Barnes and Chloe Steeleband together to form the Tribulation Force. Their task is clear, and their goal is nothing less than to stand and fight against the enemies of God during the seven most chaotic years the planet will ever know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283644/

Left Behind III said:
It's been eighteen months since Nicolae Carpathia's rise to power, and has been captivating the whole world, including President Fitzhugh (Oscar-winner Louis Gossett, Jr.). There are some far away, who suspect he's something more, the prophesied Antichrist. After a failed attempt on the President's life, Fitzhugh must call on Buck (Kirk Cameron) and Carolyn Miller (Jessica Steen) to uncover the mystery. Meanwhile, the rest of the Trib Force group: Rayford Steele (Brad Johnson), daughter (and now Buck's wife) Chloe, Pastor Bruce Barnes (Arnold Pinnock) and the newest member Amanda White (Laura Catalano) to uncover the mystery. Soon the lives of President Fitzhugh and the Tribulationn Force will be connected in ways they couldn't have imagined.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443567/

Steinbeck is amazing, especially Cannery Row and East of Eden.

I think my favourite contemporary author beside Cormac McCarthy is probably Kazuo Ishiguro. Very sad books, but I think very astute illustrations of "the human condition".

John King is probably my favourite contemporary British author. Can't stand those upper-middle class cunts like Ian Mcewan or Edward St. Aubyn. Posh cunts who just want to ride their ma.

My favourite of the lot though are Victorian and Elizabethan, and generally pre-1900 stuff...Jane Austin, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Robert Louis Stevenson etc.

Steinbeck is amazing, especially Cannery Row and East of Eden.

I think my favourite contemporary author beside Cormac McCarthy is probably Kazuo Ishiguro. Very sad books, but I think very astute illustrations of "the human condition".

John King is probably my favourite contemporary British author. Can't stand those upper-middle class cunts like Ian Mcewan or Edward St. Aubyn. Posh cunts who just want to ride their ma.

My favourite of the lot though are Victorian and Elizabethan, and generally pre-1900 stuff...Jane Austin, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Robert Louis Stevenson etc.
have you decided what you're doing your thesis on yet?

Contemporary Fictional Representations of British Male Sexuality.

John King's trilogy as representative of the working class, Edward St. Aubyn's of the upper-middle class.

John King's trilogy as representative of the working class, Edward St. Aubyn's of the upper-middle class.
oo, get you.
mine was about illness, modernism and postmodernism in paul auster. a barrel of laughs.

mine was about cancer, multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia and dying.
your is probably more fun.

Yeah. MS is not much fun alright. My ma has it... not cool at all.

Oh i see, you sort of know what you are talking about.

I thought I was weird for liking that Solzhenitsyn book(s) so much, with my D in leaving cert English, and not too many others seeming into him, but then I read he won a Nobel prize, so he cant be that bad.

I liked some Solzhenitsyn books, whatsit, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich? I liked that quite a lot, and one other that I read, can't remember which, but I usually feel a bit at a loss in discussions of Russian Lit. Looking forward to finishing formal studies so I can pursue a wider range of stuff. Never even fuckin read anything by Tolstoy.

Vikernes knocked on the door of the police investigation's impromptu headquarters in Room 318 of the Hotel Norge in Bergen, and seems to have virtually forced his way into the suite. Dressed in chain mail, carrying two large knives in his belt, and flanked by two young men who apparently behaved as if they were his bodyguards or henchmen, Vikernes stated that he was fed up with being harassed by the authorities, and that police investigation into the Black Metal scene should be stopped.
I just read your sig there.
I was in Hotel Norge in Bergen, and met some proper Norwegian Black Metallers later on that night at a party. They were these very gentle sweet guys, I dont think they had been outside Norway, maybe to Sweden or Danmark, they were friends with this guy who was the bartender (who worked with my ex gf), who was painfully nice and dorky, wearing these big glasses. I was kind of giggling later, Erland Oye's glasses were so nerdy. They didn't think that was funny, so I shut up about that one.
"He has a good band. And he gives us cheap Beers."
Oh right.
Norway is mental.
I met Royksopp later.

Erland Oye's glasses were so nerdy

irelandseye.jpg

?

Ha ha.
Roish roish Exactly.

YouTube - Kings Of Convenience - I'D Rather Dance With You

My ex gf was fucking in love with the other lad out of Kings of Convenience.
He lived up the road from Ingrid, her rather sexy mate. So when she started going on about "But he's just so handsome" I'd start talking about Ingrid.

The problem was I was slightly skinnier that Erland and comparably dorky. Ingrid wasn't particularly interested.

She was a sex monster that one.

They all have chislers now. That'll put a damper on things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back