Apocalypse movies... (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Corm
  • Start date
  • Replies 100
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 9
Nonfilm:

The Cursed Earth cycle in Judge Dredd from 2000AD comic was post apocalyptic fun set in America after a nuclear war.

The Last American, illustrated by Mike McMahon was a really grim tale also set in a post-nuclear war America.

A Canticle For Liebowitz is a wonderful sci-fi novel about the cycle of civilisation after a nuclear war sets us back into the dark ages.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a bleak post-something parable.

I've heard good things about Alas, Babylon but I've never read it.

The abovementioned Testament was based on a story called The Last Testament but I haven't read it.

Children Of The Dust is dodgy juvenile fiction set in England after a nuclear war. I loved it when I was 8 years old.

The novel of Children of Men, quite different from the flim is worth a read too.

The best 'post holocaust of somekind' movies all star Charlton Heston with a scarf tied around his neck in a jaunty, but somehow hetero way:

Planet of the Apes- Better than the sequels (because they don't have Mr. Heston), although the one where they worship the bomb is pretty cool.

Soylent Green- If you don't know what Soylent Green is made of, PM me and I'll tell ya.

Omega Man- Interracial love in the 60's from the head of the NRA. Way way ahead of its time.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a bleak post-something parable.

I'm saving this for when I've finished my studies and read everything else by this man; he's probably my favourite author of the last 5 years. If you ever get the chance, read Blood Meridian...it's one of the most amazing books I've ever read. So bleak, so cruel. Probably the most harrowing descriptions of visceral barbarity and bestial savagery I've ever read.

I'm saving this for when I've finished my studies and read everything else by this man; he's probably my favourite author of the last 5 years. If you ever get the chance, read Blood Meridian...it's one of the most amazing books I've ever read. So bleak, so cruel. Probably the most harrowing descriptions of visceral barbarity and bestial savagery I've ever read.

Fully backed Mr C, Blood Meridian is incredible.

You want savagery and barbarity though, read some Dennis Cooper.

What would you prescribe in particular, Dr J?

...I always want savagery and barbarity!

(speaking of which, check out the new Proclamation album: :eek:.|..|.|..|.|..|)

What would you prescribe in particular, Dr J?

...I always want savagery and barbarity!

(speaking of which, check out the new Proclamation album: :eek:.|..|.|..|.|..|)

I shall initiate you into the Cult of Cooper on friday.Line your stomach.You'll never be the same again.

I want this new Proclamation album.This is the second one right?

i've just watched the first seven and a half minutes of a truly atrocious 2008 film called 'infestation'. avoid it like - ha ha - the plague. the cast act like they've been borrowed from those viz photo-stories.

"A slacker awakes to find himself weak and wrapped in a webbing; after realizing that the world has been taken over by giant alien insects, he wakes a ragtag group of strangers and together they fight for survival."

"A slacker awakes to find himself weak and wrapped in a webbing; after realizing that the world has been taken over by giant alien insects, he wakes a ragtag group of strangers and together they fight for survival."
"an actor awakes to find himself weak and wrapped in debt. after realising that his profession has been taken over by people who can act, he wakes a ragtag group of strangers to make a piss-poor apocalypse movie about fighting for survival. it fails utterly."

I know. All these people, civilized people, liked it.
It looked great. I'll give it that.
And Michael Caine's character was cool. And the overall premise was good.

But, the film itself as a whole sucked massive horse testicles I thought.

It was this mix of pretentious film making with an unbelievably painfully brain dead plot, a plot that Arnie himself would be embarrassed about, that added up to a terrible film.

Like, the plot just didn't make any sense at all. I dont want to remember details, since I am almost finished clearing it from the memory banks, but if there was ever a case of a film pissing all over a good novel that has to rank up there.

I am already worried about this The Road book.
I am assuming that they simply *had* to add a little love interest to it from the above comments.

michael caine? yak. never understood his appeal. what a bootlicking crowdpleaser.
there is room for a love interest in the road, just not of a charlize theron magnitude. more of a bet-down, cowering, bird out of midsomer murders, towards the end of an episode kind of girl. an english girl, in short.

I find a movie is either total brain dead, chewing gum bollocks (and can still be good)
OR
It's haughty, pretentious shite (but some might 'get it' and think it's brilliant)

Take the IFI in Temple Bar. Nearly every single one of my favourite movies have been shown there, and it's practically the only place to get Hollywood alternatives in Ireland. But Holy Jaysus, the most obscure, arty, non-linear shite comes out of there.

You have to be in the mood for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back