Apocalypse movies... (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Corm
  • Start date
  • Replies 100
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 9
I'm reading this at the moment and it's amazing.The film though is going to be shit. Charlize theron as the "female lead".

Which is interesting as there doesn't appear to be a "female lead" in the book.

The Road is one of the best books I've ever read. Read it in one sitting.

the only female lead i can think of would have a fairly small part.

I find a movie is either total brain dead, chewing gum bollocks (and can still be good)
OR
It's haughty, pretentious shite (but some might 'get it' and think it's brilliant)

precisely, it has to be haughty, or chewing gum.
You cant have haughty chewing gum.

There is nothing to get in Children of Men. Its just not very well thought out, with millions of plot holes, but it comes at you with this clever alterno-vibe.

The Road is one of the best books I've ever read. Read it in one sitting.

the only female lead i can think of would have a fairly small part.

Right.
The Road was a great book.
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich good book.

And it was about a father, and his son, and a wrecked world, and not being eaten.

Not much room for special cuddles.
I have a feeling there will be pissing from a height done.

You hear that, everyone?
It's on.
it's not on, not even slightly. that depends what you mean by 'on' though.
last movie i saw in IFI was lust, caution (ang lee). i liked it but i've heard it get slagged off a fair bit by, i reckon, critics who are badly in need of 'affection' and bitter as fuck. i thought it was deadly. unfortunately i saw it with my parents, which partly ruined the sexiness.

Right.
The Road was a great book.
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich good book.

And it was about a father, and his son, and a wrecked world, and not being eaten.

Not much room for special cuddles.
I have a feeling there will be pissing from a height done.
the life of ivan denisovich was dull as shit. fucking russians.

meh. i'm sure it was great. it just didn't grab me. all those books like sartre and tolstoy and even weak hipster shit like kerouac just bores the shit out of me on first read. i don't know why social revolutions can't hinge on people like steinbeck and rolvaag and terry pratchett for a change, instead of something no-one understands, or understands but recognises as retarded. or even, golly gosh, hinge on original thoughts of the people involved. gaps!

I loved that book. I don't really know why though.
huh. didn't think much of it meself. maybe need to give it a second go. not a massive fan of russian literature, altho the master and margarita was tolerable. have you read much john steinbeck? he's mah he-ro.

I think... its more or less one of the best books I've ever read.
oh dear. i reckon my best book is either grapes of wrath, or 'Crystal', by Jordan.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord:
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.

huh. didn't think much of it meself. maybe need to give it a second go. not a massive fan of russian literature, altho the master and margarita was tolerable. have you read much john steinbeck? he's mah he-ro.

The Pearl and Of Mice And Men have been firmly buried in the haze of books im reading at the moment. I'm reading Boyhood by J.M Coetzee for school, it is so fucking depressing. If you think The Life Of Ivan Denisovich is dull....you've got another thing coming to you!

I really liked Anti-Fascist by Martin Lux too, however badly written or obscured it was.

haze of books...that's the problem. too many books, too much theory. read of mice and men, grapes of wrath, cannery row, east of eden, sweet thursday (all steinbeck)...russian books fail to excite me. something about american novels makes my soul jump up and dance. not to be too melodramatic about it, like...ole rolvaag and langston hughes makes me fuckin jump as well. something magic in american literature. although irish writers have the same effect sometimes too, like tomas o crothain or rita ann higgins.

haze of books...that's the problem. too many books, too much theory. read of mice and men, grapes of wrath, cannery row, east of eden, sweet thursday (all steinbeck)...russian books fail to excite me. something about american novels makes my soul jump up and dance. not to be too melodramatic about it, like...ole rolvaag and langston hughes makes me fuckin jump as well. something magic in american literature. although irish writers have the same effect sometimes too, like tomas o crothain or rita ann higgins.

You forgot John B. Keane. Ledgend.

Whatcha think of Charles Bukowski? I really want to get round to reading Ham On Rye. Looks interesting.

Actually, at the moment i'm reading a load of mountaineering books, I managed to inherit 3 huge cardboard boxes full of them. I'm reading this one called I Come From The Stone Age. It's about a guy who goes to climb the Carstenz Pyrimid in New Guinea. There is no one there except primitive cannibals who he hires and pays them in metal axes. He takes a really bad fall and breaks his leg. The cannibals are his only hope of rescuing him and bringing him back to civilisation. True story.

APOCALYPTIC OR WHAT?

I read a book ages ago that purported to be true about a Nazi prisoner of war in the Russian gulags who managed to escape sometime around 1950 and travelled across Asia and Europe and made his way home. It was a rivetting read but likely a load of bollix factually.

You forgot John B. Keane. Ledgend.

Whatcha think of Charles Bukowski? I really want to get round to reading Ham On Rye. Looks interesting.
bukowski, saw that recent movie with matt dillon......forget what it's called but pretty good deal -oh yeah factotum. bukowski is good but variable. he's also got a 1920s swedish film about witches narrated by william burroughs, pretty fucked up shit. film's nuts without the burroughs connexion but specially nuts with.
bukowski is good, i like that style, it's like george orwell without a trust fund. lank and rank and desperate. giz money, mum!
but you sound like someone who'd appreciate steinbeck - give him a decent hearing, eh? start with something short like mice and men or cannery row and then into grapes of wrath or east of eden. you'll never look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back