Anyone grow up on or near Francis St? (2 Viewers)

i grew up around there, first hanbury lane off meath st, then long lane off clanbrassil st. my brother was baptised in the church on francis st. there was a rag and bone man. and an abbatoir. and dublin bazaar. rare ould times.

I remember the abbatoir on Pleasant Street, is that the one you mean? It wasn't a very Pleasant Street.
nope not that on, on hanbury, or swans lane... off thomas st. stank to high heaven it did, and there used to be lots of butchers on meath st. sure the meat was still masticating.

There's still loads of butchers on Meath Street. I was living just off it for 2 years. And there is still a place that stinks like an abbatoir, I walk past it every day.

the aroma seems to be all pervading. the abattoir is gone, it's some jerryrigged gaffs now, but the smell lives on. i'd say those gaffs stink to high jayses. the reek of blood and shit and sawdust. i've used 4 synonyms for scent in this reply. that's gotta be worth a prize?

i grew up around there, first hanbury lane off meath st, then long lane off clanbrassil st. my brother was baptised in the church on francis st. there was a rag and bone man. and an abbatoir. and dublin bazaar. rare ould times.

I went to school just off Francis Street and hung around with lots of people from there (one of them from Hanbury Lane/Chaworth Terrace).

I also remember the smell from the abattoir.

I used to love the bakery on Francis Street that sold them pink slices.

I went to school just off Francis Street and hung around with lots of people from there (one of them from Hanbury Lane/Chaworth Terrace).

I also remember the smell from the abattoir.

I used to love the bakery on Francis Street that sold them pink slices.
did we go out?

Tell me more about the rag and bone man please.
when i was a wee chisler, there was this old codger who went around with a cart picking up crap off people. (i saw a picture of thomas st taken in the 70's in the dublin tenement book and it all came flooding back. i mean, trickling back. otherwise i'd never have remembered that). there was no traffic in those days either, which is weird, bu every street corner had a deserted car park surrounded by metal thingie's ( like staples stuck in the ground) that were painted red and white. it's ghastly being "nostalgic" so young in life, but the landscape of my youth has changed so much in the last 30 years, most of it is hardly there. except meath st, which is mostly the same looking.

it's ghastly being "nostalgic" so young in life, but the landscape of my youth has changed so much in the last 30 years, most of it is hardly there. except meath st, which is mostly the same looking.

I get that feeling too, the town I grew up in and the town it is now bear no resemblance to each other. Not that I ever thought Dungarvan was the kind of place that I would get nostalgic about. I guess it is all part of the long slide to stale jaffa cakes and the nursing home...

ah it's all about the loss of community and the like. wen i put me teeth in and clam p on me pipe i can go, "in my day this was all derelict factories and empty building sites." you try saying that to someone who's, i dunno, 25, they'd never believe ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back