Anti-Gigsmart??? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokey

I've noticed on this board (& the Things one) that loads of people are REALLY Anti-Gigsmart.

Why? Surely both Things & Gigsmart are trying to achieve the same thing............a better music scene in Irelend. No?

Just curious :)

Surely both Things & Gigsmart are trying to achieve the same thing

i'd have thought so, meself. unless...

...unless it's a case of "MY alternative leftfield dronerock/postrock-based pseudo-avantgarde music scene is better than YOUR alternative leftfield dronerock/postrock-based pseudo-avantgarde music scene"

which is a bit of a foolish attitude to take, really.

Tokey said:
I've noticed on this board (& the Things one) that loads of people are REALLY Anti-Gigsmart.

Why? Surely both Things & Gigsmart are trying to achieve the same thing............a better music scene in Irelend. No?

Just curious :)

pm'd ya there.

lmd64 said:
i'd have thought so, meself. unless...

...unless it's a case of "MY alternative leftfield dronerock/postrock-based pseudo-avantgarde music scene is better than YOUR alternative leftfield dronerock/postrock-based pseudo-avantgarde music scene"

which is a bit of a foolish attitude to take, really.

I dunno why people just can't get along.
We should all be focusing on killing Louis Walsh instead :)

I mean tommorow night in the TBMC there is a Joined Irish Unsigned/Gigsmart night. Which should be a lot of fun

Would the same thing ever happen between Thingsyouremissing & Gigsmart?

If not........why?

Finally something is starting to happen.........

Myself and Ron from IU are meeting up next week, maybe we should make it a big meeting with loads of idea's and loads of people that wouldn't know each other except through user names etc.

Can you imagine how great the gigs would be, if they were combined GigSmart, Irish Unsigned, Thumped, Things etc etc etc.

I have had this conversation on numerous occasions, there is no such thing as a GigSmart band, we have bands that have been affiliated with us and bands that we try to help but none of them are the property or are in any way shape or form in contract with us.

There all just bands doing their own thing and we have one thing in common, the phylosophy that four bands on the same bill shouldn't have to pay some arse biscuit 150 Yoyo's for the priviledge of playing a gig in a venue that costs no more than 150 yoyo's to rent out for the night anyway.

Thats why GigSmart was set up and its why we continue to exist and hopefully by the end of the year there will be a regular gig going crowd that will consist of 100 plus people that go to gigs not because there mates band are playing, but because its always an entertaining night out.

Regards

Niall

not wanting to be a misery guts, but as the pm roughly said... killing the industry and accessing the industry are different.

Look... why don't you just give Angela or Colm a shout in the Federation of Music Collectives (http://www.fmc-ireland.com).

I'm sending an e-mail tonight or tomorrow to all you heads about this because it's the answer to all this malarkey.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 41
silo said:
not wanting to be a misery guts, but as the pm roughly said... killing the industry and accessing the industry are different.

But playing a gig doesn't mean that have to compromise our "beliefs" about the music industry.

Their are a lot of people out there that think that the opposing organisations are a bunch of shitheads. On both sides......

Something like this would at least clear the air and make a lot more of an impact on a) making the industry listen or b) killing it.

Either one is good :)

Could you imagine the noise it would make if every band in Dublin (and lets face it 80% of bands are in one of these collectives) worked together. They'd have to sit up and listen (or roll over and die :) )

Right now were all sitting around saying things about each other collective & back biting each other. Where as I said above we should all be planing Louis Walsh's murder :)

It's such "my band is better than your band shite"

If you don't think it's a good idea fair enough, but how can it be worse than giving out about each other.

silo said:
And so is replacing the industry
And so is creating an independent 'industry' that ignores what's currently known as 'the industry'

... which one of these is TYM trying to achieve again?

egg_ said:
And so is creating an independent 'industry' that ignores what's currently known as 'the industry'

Deep man ..deeeeeeep

Tokey said:
Could you imagine the noise it would make if every band in Dublin (and lets face it 80% of bands are in one of these collectives) worked together. They'd have to sit up and listen (or roll over and die :) )

who?

here is a stroy Tokey, and I'm not anti-nothing or pro-anything!

Once upon a time someone wrote a letter to hotpress on behalf of gigsmart. The letters, as I believe there was a corrospondence, anyway the letters from Gigsmart (or the chap representing gigsmart) quickly featured swearing and got a bit abusive considering the Hotpress replies were pretty decent. I joined the Gigsmart board and said in my opinion they had lost any respect the letters might have got by getting sweary.

Next thing I know my log on details (name, e-mail addy you know the kinda thing) had been taken by somebody with administraive access on the gigsmart board, and posted on the gigsmart board for all to see.

I thought this was very bold.

The whole thing degenerated into me getting personal e-mails (as a result of my details being posted with out my wisehes on the board) from a gigsmart type of a very abusive nature.

This whole episode has coloured my view of gig smart.

egg_ said:

kill! kill! kill!

well, and create independent self-sufficient interlocking music-related systems of lasting relevance, or something.

Pantone247 said:
Next thing I know my log on details (name, e-mail addy you know the kinda thing) had been taken by somebody with administraive access on the gigsmart board, and posted on the gigsmart board for all to see.

not a very nice thing to do alright.

Pantone247 said:
who?

here is a stroy Tokey, and I'm not anti-nothing or pro-anything!

Once upon a time someone wrote a letter to hotpress on behalf of gigsmart. The letters, as I believe there was a corrospondence, anyway the letters from Gigsmart (or the chap representing gigsmart) quickly featured swearing and got a bit abusive considering the Hotpress replies were pretty decent. I joined the Gigsmart board and said in my opinion they had lost any respect the letters might have got by getting sweary.

The whole thing degenerated into me getting personal e-mails (as a result of my details being posted with out my wisehes on the board) from a gigsmart type of a very abusive nature.

This whole episode has coloured my view of gig smart.

Yeha but don't ya just hate Hotpress :p

Okay...........I heard about what happened to yourself, before I got involved with Gigsmart (I don't represent them BTW, just in a band) and what I heard it was a misunderstanding. I don't know by who or anything but what the hell..............shit happens!!!

Do you represent Things? Not being smart just wanna know who I'm talking to :)

I just think that it is really pointless to be argueing with ourselves when we should be argueing with the stupid fucking industry.

There are lots of Bands that I would love to gig with and I am sick and tired of people going "urgh but their a Things band" or "why don't you fuck off to Gigsmart or Irish Unsigned" or whatever.

So you got burned by an orgainisation, I didn't think much of one of the Things meetings I went to, but I know that there a some fucking great bands involved here and I think it's stupid we don't get along. Look past all the organisations and look at the bands.

That's what there about. :)

Well... on the web-site it mentions Gigsmart's "corporate colours".

AIB has corporate colours... I work in AIB. Might be why Gigsmart isn't that endearing.

Still... best of luck to them.

billygannon said:
Well... on the web-site it mentions Gigsmart's "corporate colours".

AIB has corporate colours... I work in AIB. Might be why Gigsmart isn't that endearing.

Still... best of luck to them.

Billy I'm not asking you to join Gigsmart man
All I was asling why can't we all work together

Once again here it comes down to what is cool or not.

Yes Gigsmart has a logo in certain colours. Big deal, their trying to
present themselves as a reputable organisation. What's wrong with that?

It's that fucking attitute of were better than Gigsmart/Irish Unsigned/Thingsyouremissing thats gonna kill the unsigned Music industry in Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back