ANTI COMPUTERS + CD'S ? (1 Viewer)

(from Wiki)

Advantages of analog sound

• Analog recording is a linear representation of a linear waveform, and therefore more accurate
  • Shape of the waveforms: analog sound appears "warmer", "smoother" more "three dimensional"
  • Lower distortion for low signal levels
  • Absence of quantization noise
  • Absence of aliasing
  • Not subject to jitter
  • Euphonic characteristics
Disadvantages of analog sound
  • Linear access
  • Subject to electrical and mechanical hiss and noise
  • Subject to wow and flutter
  • Tape is expensive to buy and maintain
  • Regenerations are inferior quality
Advantages of digital sound
  • Non-linear access
  • Lower noise floor
  • Regenerations are exact clones
  • Resistance to media deterioration
  • Ability to apply redundancy like error-correcting codes, to prevent data loss
  • Data channels allow digitally encoded information about the owner, track titles, and other information
Disadvantages of digital sound
  • Digital recording is data which represents measurements of voltage amplitude which have undergone quantisation
  • Sound reconstructed from digital signals is claimed to be "harsher" and "unnatural" compared to analog signals
  • Quantisation errors
  • Aliasing noise
  • Subject to jitter
  • Some formats are subject to data compression causing frequency loss and distortion
  • Due to regenerations being exact copies, piracy across the internet and via duplication is easily carried out and is of the same quality as the original media

someone told me recently that if a cd or cdr is fucked sometimes u can burn a new playable cdr version of the fucked one. this ture anybody?

Also vinyl is the best. but i cant have record players all over the gaff and aint bringing mine outside for a bbq so cds ,cdrs and tapes are all good. also their good for vans or bikes etc.

i think cdrs are a great cheap way for punk bands to get music out to people. esp with the burn em as you need them. so you dont like so many bands i know end up with boxes of cds or vinly under the bed.

ive just bought a computer so im about to discover the joy of mp3s and soulseek. anything else good music sharing groups etc i should know about?

wasn't some of the negative attitude towards CDs due to the fact that Phillips get a royalty from every CD manufactured & they're linked to the arms industry (they currently make parts for F-16 jets & Apache helicopters)?

wasn't some of the negative attitude towards CDs due to the fact that Phillips get a royalty from every CD manufactured & they're linked to the arms industry (they currently make parts for F-16 jets & Apache helicopters)?

yeah thats right. i remember we (cheapskate) wouldnt make on for that reason
i believe it was like 10p or 10% on each one or that was the magic number on the punk grape vine anyway.the irony i now have a philps cd deck.sellout prick!

i believe it was like 10p or 10% on each one or that was the magic number on the punk grape vine anyway.the irony i now have a philps cd deck.sellout prick!
they get it for DVDs too...

just remembered it was secondhand....still punk :).

how do you repair vinyl ?

i remember it often reading Philips got royalties from CD's but i also read interviews with bands about 93-94 who variously claimed it Sony and General Electric who got royalties instead!

the big problem i have with vinyl is it is now the most expensive format when you consider postage, i think making the music available as cheaply as possible is the most important concern and this used to be the big point in favour of vinyl ten years ago.
obviously a lot of records are vinyl only so i just buy on whatever format they come on.

and does anyone know anyone in their peer group who still hates computers?
(the internet is not the best place to ask this i realise).

what i meant was that with the use of soulseek and stuff like that someone who doesnt have the records can get them by downloading off someone else who has converted them to mp3 format (sorry, i know my post wasn't very clear) even though it may still be hard to find the album your looking for it can still be done. i've d/led vinyl my brother has from his soulseek before

not the same thing at all.
I have mp3 versions of a lot of my records as well..I think mp3's are great as a portable source of music. but you can't serious say a digitised version of an analogue record is exactly the same thing. you still get the information but not the same experience. it does depend alot on the stereo to though.

how do you repair vinyl ?

i remember it often reading Philips got royalties from CD's but i also read interviews with bands about 93-94 who variously claimed it Sony and General Electric who got royalties instead!

does anybody (pete im looking at you) know if it is still the case they get a precenage from each cd and does it go for cdrs as well?

the other problem is that the process of making vynil is more harmful to the enviroment than making cds so ive been told and tapes aint so good either plastics and all. oh and i heard on the grape vine punk one of course that the gz record pressing place
in cz where alot of punk records are done is owned by people with connections to the extreme right .

so i guess its back to the caves for us with acoustic music and no animal skin drums etc allowed either.

oh and on computers i dont remember people been anti them more just not having a use or need for them.

I think it's more that gz pressed records for bands with nazi lyrics. The question is probably more did they do it knowingly. I'm not sure you'd ever get the answer to that.
I can't imagine cd's being super environmentally friendly either,amd as for the amount of computers that get binned,that's a whole other arguement I guess.
All cd's used to have to carry the phillips logo I think? don't think they do anymore. That could possibly mean they no longer "own" the technology.

I think it's more that gz pressed records for bands with nazi lyrics. .

maybe but as i said im only repeating what i heard in that neck of the woods not saying its gospel.i questioned why they would print punks stuff it it was true and was told money is money.
Im not saying cds are enviromently friendly but the enviromental stuff was mentioned to point out we could find a reason not to use any of these formats, if we really looked but where would that leave us ? with only live gigs in mud huts with wind powered electricity.then who owns the companies that make the amps and guitars and on and on and on........

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back