ANTI COMPUTERS + CD'S ? (1 Viewer)

nuke terrorist

Supporter
remember back before the internet when bands said they'd never put out CD'S and being punk meant being anti-corporate technology like computers ? (without the internet nobody saw they were any good for anything).

green anarchy seemed like a great idea. computers were ridiculously expensive one that couldn't even do what my bottom of the range Dell
can cost 5 times as much in real terms. they would never be accessible to the masses at that price.

cd's cost far more than vinyl, couldn't be copied to CD, were critizied for often not using the full 79 minutes of space.

then the internet arrived it seemed far too expensive for most people first but gradually by the end of the nineties it was something getting cheaper towards the point where i could afford or at least in the meantime look at it in the library.

it smashed a lot of peoples phobias about technology including my own. here was something developed and run by multinationals that was empowering and becoming difficult to do without who would have thought it !

now everyone just excepts using software made by the biggest companies in the world as being a mild inconvience.

i am wondering does anyone know know anybody born after the 70's who is anti- computer or CD ? i.e. people who grew up with technology.
there are still a few older people (30-40) who are anti CD but most of its ranks have long since folded.

does 'fuck technology' still exist ?

vinyl was long considered the punkest format but i propose a new one -
CD-roms.

consider this:

- they cost about 1.50 euros.
- a 70 minute one can be duplicated in about ten minutes.
- they are much cheaper to mail than any vinyl format (this is the big problem for vinyl)
- they can be put in small plastic sleeves making them even cheaper (like bus pass things) instead of boxes.

take that vinyl!

i bought six CD roms full up with music from brasil for $20 ppd with said plastic covers, inserts and printed CD's. tapes are almost obsolete there because CD-ROMS are so cheap.

i heard someone in finland say he could make 5 CDroms with packaging for the cost one 7".

CompanyPic.jpg

I remember there was the same antipathy towards mobile phones in the mid 1990s. A number of zines at the time slammed the poseurs using them.

Vinyl was / still is the punkest format but CDs are fine too.

Cassettes = the enemy.

Huggy Bear and Bikini Kill releasing their split album on LP and cassette only was such an pointless, misguided and infuriating gesture. Didn't bother me as I bought the vinyl but lots of people I knew didn't have a turntable and were punished into owning it on a shitty format (cassette) when they would have much preferred a CD version.

Vinyl will always be best. If you don't have access to a record player you are not a music lover.
Disagree, no matter how well you look after ur records they gain crackles or scratches......
I bet as careful as you are some of ur massive collection has them.
Why I prefer cd-roms.

Also I listen to music 80% of the time in my car when I am working.

You're wrong Janer. I've seen far more cd's damaged to the point were they are unplayable than vinyl. And cdr's are totally short term disposable. Loads stop working after no time.
anyway,like I said:

You should also have access to a tape player,cd player and some way of playing mp3's

cd-roms are so cheap you can burn em over and over again once you have them on your hard drive and I have mine backed up on a diff harddrive.
Tapes are complete bollocks.

I don't need to.
You should also have access to a tape player,cd player and some way of playing mp3's.

is there really much of a difference given how most people listen to music, including crappy speakers, headphones, etc? i know there's a marked difference between digital and analogue but i don't think it's often perceptible to most people, me included.

i much prefer records to any other format and get a joy out of buying and listening to them that cds etc just don't manage, but i would have to acknowledge that it's the same part of me that loves typewriters too, and doesn't really affect the sound that much.

i agree vinyl is cool and all but i wouldnt claim that anyone who doesn't have any isn't a true music lover. its your choice how you want to listen to it and some people much prefer the convenience of the computer over anything else- doesn't mean they don't listen to the music and appreciate it or love it any less

a scratched or skipping CD is impossible to repair and is effectively useless.

Unless you need coasters in your house.

not so with vinyl - at least you can indentify where the problem is and attempt to clean the debris out.
But the minute I buy a cd I rip it to my hard drive and just make copies.....far easier that way, also it's handy when I can't find one of my cd's, I just burn another one, cd-roms so fcking cheap now!

The vast majority of music I like was supposed to be listened to on vinyl,it's not only about the music either. Bands spend huge amounts of time deciding how the music will be packaged,what order the songs are supposed to be heard etc. Sometimes I can't find the record,or it's too expensive and I make do with a tape or cdr or mp3,but I don't consider it complete.
To only listen to music on one format is kinda silly. There is great music on different formats,but vinyl will always be best for punk. I don't even need to justify that statement either.

a scratched or skipping CD is impossible to repair and is effectively useless.

Unless you need coasters in your house.

not so with vinyl - at least you can indentify where the problem is and attempt to clean the debris out.

I've fixed tons of records,never fixed a cd.

vinyl can be transferred into mp3 format and then downloaded so people can just do that and then listen to the album recorded on vinyl that way- they can love the music, listen to it and not have to have a record player

vinyl can be transferred into mp3 format and then downloaded so people can just do that and then listen to the album recorded on vinyl that way- they can love the music, listen to it and not have to have a record player
So,how exactly do you transfer vinyl to mp3 without a record player? You could be on the verge of becoming a rich man.

what i meant was that with the use of soulseek and stuff like that someone who doesnt have the records can get them by downloading off someone else who has converted them to mp3 format (sorry, i know my post wasn't very clear) even though it may still be hard to find the album your looking for it can still be done. i've d/led vinyl my brother has from his soulseek before

i can transfer vinyl straight to my mp3 using the iRiver, its not the latest edition or even the second latest because both of them seemed to get rid of that option for whatever reason but mine can record either out of the headphone jack or out of the speaker outputs, its good enough quality and ya just need a simple mp3 splitter programme to split em up and name em.

anyway i just gotta say on this longrunning question that i defo am vinyl over cd, i havent treated my records that well (in the past not now:eek:) but they all still play, scuffs can be fixed up and debris can always be removed pretty well with white vinegar and distilled water.

and stop slagging tapes, tapes are deadly, which is most likely to survive being fucked across a room, a cd, a record or a tape? probably the tape? durable and deadly.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back