agressor going to Dublin (2 Viewers)

And why is a bloke beating on a girl more horrible than a girl beating on a bloke,

It kind of is worse, because the bloke has a whole system of 'blokes' to back him up, tell her she's wrong, pat him on the back and tell the woman she was asking for it, and finally, to disprove her in court...

It kind of is worse, because the bloke has a whole system of 'blokes' to back him up, tell her she's wrong, pat him on the back and tell the woman she was asking for it, and finally, to disprove her in court...

Okay, perhaps, but this is in the case of "normal" society, rather than the punk scene where people are willing to confront these issues (be cynical if you like, but there are a lot of people who are willing to try and find a way to deal with these things). I'm just confused as to how to deal with it and with a priviliging of one form of violence, when people don't even know how to confront or deal with a similar situation on our own doorsteps, when the case was/is a woman who has beaten someone involved with her on numerous ocassions.

If I had to decide from the info that's now available how to approach it, I would ideally think that a number of women (if they wanted to) should approach the guy and ask him what he did, why he did it, and what he's going to do about it (preferably including at least one Polish speaker to abnegate the possible language barrier). Depending on his reaction, he should be either told he's expressly unwelcome, or he should be told he's being watched.

I agree with Corm. This shouldn't be seen as an excuse for booting this cunt in the head (though I doubt that would ever happen here). A 'civil' confrontation is the best way to handle this.

The only time the punk contingent on this board get into a fight for something they feel is right they, more often than not, need to sit around and have a meeting to find out what the group consensus is first; waving hands, waiting their turn to speak and bollocks like that, unless there's drink involved (ie what to do with rapists in the scene, how to handle fascists on the street, should I take a side when a relationship between my mates falls apart or gets violent; unless of course it involves the pigs or towny scumbags - they know they have group consent on that one). If only you all knew what a pathetic, right-on bureaucracy our punk scene can be at times, you'd cry yourself to sleep. It is rare for people to take actions into their own hands here anymore. I guess I'm generalising, but by and large this is true. You all know who you are.

I think ball-less pussies (that's a metaphor in case I piss off any ball-less feminists) sums them up better than crusties, especially because they wash occasionally.

Apathy is so grunge.
Pretending to be an individual while constantly looking over your shoulder for approval from your peers is punk as fuck.

edit:I don't think anyone is going to reply to what I said until a group consensus is formed.

Agreed? AGREED!
Once again, bravo; you're all ball-less pussies!

Apathy is so grunge.
Pretending to be an individual while constantly looking over your shoulder for approval from your peers is punk as fuck.

edit:I don't think anyone is going to reply to what I said until a group consensus is formed.

Agreed? AGREED!

punks dont reply cause they dont give 2 shits...they're too peaceful.

Being a pacifist and running ideas through your peers before making your mind up (and then being extremely inflexible and staunch about this group decision) are different things.

The only time the punk contingent on this board get into a fight for something they feel is right they, more often than not, need to sit around and have a meeting to find out what the group consensus is first; waving hands, waiting their turn to speak and bollocks like that, unless there's drink involved (ie what to do with rapists in the scene, how to handle fascists on the street, should I take a side when a relationship between my mates falls apart or gets violent; unless of course it involves the pigs or towny scumbags - they know they have group consent on that one). If only you all knew what a pathetic, right-on bureaucracy our punk scene can be at times, you'd cry yourself to sleep. It is rare for people to take actions into their own hands here anymore. I guess I'm generalising, but by and large this is true. You all know who you are.

I think ball-less pussies (that's a metaphor in case I piss off any ball-less feminists) sums them up better than crusties, especially because they wash occasionally.

Agreed? AGREED!

i don't think anyone's gonna reply to you unless you're specific.

you mentioned rape in the scene. do you not think it's important that when this happens that people get together and talk about the specific case, the issue in general, and how to deal with it? (if the victim wants something done)

the point of getting together and talking about something like that is that the 'scene', 'community', or whatever shouldn't let it be ignored as a private issue and individualise it merely as something that one person did. a lot of people think that sexual violence is more than just an individual action.

it's about recognising sexual violence as an issue for everyone to deal with, or be aware of, or take measures to stop it from happening again in the future, or dealing with it properly when it does happen. rather than taking an individual action/stance with little perspective because group discussion is somehow pc and uncool.

i think it's pretty rare that the scene would reach a consensus on what to do about a case of violence or sexual violence anyway. such issues are always surrounded by so much anger and defensiveness that it can be really hard to keep things grounded. which is another case to be made for coming together and talking about it.

finally, you mightn't see it because of reasons of privacy and complex emotions that a victim of violence/sexual violence experiences, but there are plenty of people in the scene that take important individual actions when stuff like this comes up. they are the people who a victim first talks to. a supportive and non-judgmental individual is probably one of the most important things that a victim needs in the immediate aftermath of an attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back