Afrobeat/ Fela Kuti (1 Viewer)

Jasper

It's about time i started listening to some Afrobeat. Anyone got any recommendations? Any Fela Kuti albums in particular?

Cheers for the tips. I've had a listen to Expensive Shit and it's incredible. Downloading from awesome tapes as we speak.

115517.jpg

savage record

AfroBaby.jpg
#

good comp

Fela is amazing .. I think more or less anything from the 70s/80s will satisfy you like you have never been satisfied before. There's a great 2CD Best-Of you can get also called "Black President". It's not to be sniffed at though the tracks are edited down in places ....

What I like doing when listening is to check out what the second guitar player is doing. It's almost always some deadly little 3/4 note lick that goes on for about 10 minutes all the way through the track. That guitar player must have been a happy man. As much smoke and women as he could possibly handle, all he has to do is these little repetitive riffs, and at the same time he get's to play in one of the best bands in the world, night after night. It surely doesn't get much better than that, does it?

The documentary about Fela Kuti, Music is the Weapon, is definitely worth a watch.
Caught Femi Kuti a few years back at Glastonbury, hes well and truely following in his da's footstep, he had his son up there playing sax too.

i second that expensive shit/he miss road cd recommendation. it's the best thing i've heard by fela

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back