A U2 Thread (1 Viewer)

I accept your bona fides there, but people not liking someone is hardly a great indicator one way or another

People resent successful people for any number of reasons

I'd be careful about Bono getting going about Jesus, you'd want to run interference at the first mention
Rollins is not remotely funny and has nothing interesting to say.
End Of Silence is one of the worst LPs I have ever bought.

Bono is worse of course.

The later Rollins Band albums are grand and he was still good live right to the end of his music career. It’s a pity he became a “stand up” and documentary talking head as I’d take subpar Rollins Band over that.

In any case, I do think both of them, when away from a camera or a microphone are probably interesting to chat to for an evening.

In any case, I do think both of them, when away from a camera or a microphone are probably interesting to chat to for an evening.
Yuppers
Anyone that has forged a creative life out of whole cloth would be interesting to talk to .

They don't talk about mortgages or jobs or commuting or whatever.
Not that these things aren't important, but they have a whole different perspective.

The more we learn of another person's way, the more we become in tune with our own.

I agree with the points 1 & 2. The 3rd part you sound like a mental health counsellor.
It's a bastardisation from Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

1696944060416.png

But I am also my own mental health counselor

Like comparison can be the thief of joy, so I don't really compare myself to others
But If I'm talking to - I don't know - a surfer and they say they only go out at high tide or never eat before a workout, I think "I wonder if that would be helpful to me swimming or having a more productive morning?"
Even though I will probably never surf.

I'm sure Hank ROllins or Bono would have a few jewels in there among all the solopsism

This is a great thought experiment now. What would it be like having pints with Bono.

I really like having pints, so it's off to a winner. A few blocked selfies. Some shite talk about Earl Street and Pavarotti.

This is a great thought experiment now. What would it be like having pints with Bono.

I really like having pints, so it's off to a winner. A few blocked selfies. Some shite talk about Earl Street and Pavarotti.

my brother used to work in a pub in dalkey for a while when he was studying, and did occasionally observe the actual reality of what you present as a thought experiment. one time some spanish person recognised him and asked him for a selfie — and also handed their phone over to the the other pint drinker at the table and asked them to take the snap. they never realised that the person they had tasked with being an ad-hoc photographer was bruce springsteen

my brother used to work in a pub in dalkey for a while when he was studying, and did occasionally observe the actual reality of what you present as a thought experiment. one time some spanish person recognised him and asked him for a selfie — and also handed their phone over to the the other pint drinker at the table and asked them to take the snap. they never realised that the person they had tasked with being an ad-hoc photographer was bruce springsteen
reminds me of that famous tall tale as related on the graham norton show, and told to me with slightly different details since a few years ago.

Everyone goes “oh not THAT old story” and laughs at the naivety of the person telling it, but think about how many times it could actually happen? Not every “not Bono but still famous to many” person is going to be ubiquitously recognised. I know plenty of people that wouldn’t recognise a nick cave or a Nile Rodgers or whoever, and it’s not like springsprong is wildly popular with the under 25 demographic.

Everyone goes “oh not THAT old story” and laughs at the naivety of the person telling it, but think about how many times it could actually happen? Not every “not Bono but still famous to many” person is going to be ubiquitously recognised. I know plenty of people that wouldn’t recognise a nick cave or a Nile Rodgers or whoever, and it’s not like springsprong is wildly popular with the under 25 demographic.
Seen it a few times

People asking Matthew Broderick for a photo with their kid, and asking Jerry Seinfeld to get out of the shot

Famous people hang out together

Also, met Nick Cave last week. he signed my book (his book)
Lovely bloke.

Between this and rolling up in a fancy car all to get the ride, you’re really painting a vivid picture of your sex life here. You know there are women you can pay directly for sex? I think they’re called “wives”?
I had won a voucher for Shanahan's. Like 150 euros.
Waited til the lady was in the jacks and got the bill. Fucker took forever though and she caught me red handed explaining the voucher to the waiter. Still got human comfort at the end of the night, but the gloss was off the evening.

It's not just the cars. I am actually trying to get better at communication and honesty. And work on the soft skills women pay attention to.
I'll make a great husband at some point, in the weeks before my death from old age.

i was in shanahan's once. someone else was paying. bill came to €200 a head. food was grand; but you don't go to shanahan's for the food per se.

View attachment 17732

They attacked the wrong venue

(I kid, I kid)
Don't forget, about a week after the Bataclan attack in Paris, U2 cancelled their concert in Paris due to 'security concerns' etc etc etc, all the while talking about standing with Parisians etc. I'm 100% sure the safest time to play a massive gig in Paris was just after that attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back