a hawk and a hacksaw (1 Viewer)

they cancelled a belfast and a dublin date, so I don't think they ever actually played here... total bummer, no idea what happened... and I'm sure twenty minutes is all they got for the set considering there was another opening act

Yup. Worded my post wrong. Meant to say they only played for twenty mins so probably not worth the admission fee if you were just going to see them.
Impressive enough though.

not sure how long they played for but it was more than 20 minutes and they were excellent. There wasn't much of a crowd in for it but anyone that was was well into it. So much so, that when he asked if we'd had enough or whether to play on, there was a unanimous call for the latter.

They were touring with Beiruit at the time though. Not sure if their slot before them was always planned, but since they were in town anyway, why not!

I hadn't heard about the cancelled Dublin show (its being cancelled being the first I'd heard of it even being on). It really didn't seem to be promoted well at all.

Yup. Worded my post wrong. Meant to say they only played for twenty mins so probably not worth the admission fee if you were just going to see them.
Impressive enough though.

I hadn't heard about the cancelled Dublin show (its being cancelled being the first I'd heard of it even being on). It really didn't seem to be promoted well at all.

yeah me too, shocking promoting that... I was going to ask him to play around the Calexico/Beruit show, but I was putting on Jawbone at the time, I think there was a day free on one side of that date...

Looks like it'd be too pricey too do it this time around if the ticket prices for the UK are anything to go by... shame really...

i think aikens were to have done this in crawdaddy in october 2005. plug was pulled on the day of the show - barnes might even have been in the country at that stage. there's a boot of the olympia set knocking around (i couldn't make the gig, but wouldn't have paid anyway) which is only average on sound quality. beirut set too.

I always wonder how Zach (he must've been 18 when he started on Gulag) ended up getting AHAAH to help him do his album. Them being double his age and a lot more experienced...

A whole loada charm?

really? anything for Dublin?

nothing on myspace and their 'official' website is crap.

I'll go to Cork if I have to, but I really don't want to.

They are playing that ATP thing too, so I am sure they will come here. If not, road trip. Or rather, train trip. Gives me a reason to visit Cork again.

A Hawk And A Hacksaw have confirmed a short series of live dates in the UK and Ireland this December, in addition to their previously announced
appearance at the Portishead-curated All Tomorrow's Parties. While they're in the UK, AHAAH will also be filming a performance for BBC2's Culture Show, their first ever UK TV appearance.

These shows bring a great year for the band to a close. 2007 has seen them fulfil a hectic live schedule across Europe from their base in Budapest,
performing their singular synthesis of eastern and western folk music, taking inspiration from the last century and beyond. AHAAH have just started
work on their fourth, as yet untitled album, set for release in spring 2008, and plans are afoot to record with a range of new guest musicians, expanding their musical range still further.

AHAAH regulars Jeremy Barnes and Heather Trost will be rejoined for the English dates by Hungarian cymbalom maestro Unger Balázs and virtuoso trumpet and violin player Kovács Ferenc. Both Balázs and Ferenc played as part of The Hun Hangár Ensemble with AHAAH in May this year, also releasing a critically acclaimed limited edition EP to coincide. You can find a clip of A Hawk And A Hacksaw And The Hun Hangár Ensemble performing 'Serbian Cocek' filmed at the Point, Cardiff on May 10 here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The special London date is being held at the Romanian Restaurant at 32 Old Bailey, so there is the option of sampling traditional Romanian delicacies
at the show, and continuing the party with Club Zigana DJs after the live performance.

The Dublin and Cork shows are AHAAH's first ever headline shows in Ireland (they supported Calexico in Dublin in 2006), and will be performed as a duo.

Here are the dates in full:

Tue 04 Dec: LONDON, Club Zigana @ The Romanian Restaurant *
7.30pm / £10 adv / www.wegottickets.co.uk or 07966 452557

Wed 05 Dec: NOTTINGHAM, Damn You @ The Malt Cross *
8pm / £7 adv / www.wegottickets.com or Selectadisc (in person only)

Thu 06 Dec: MANCHESTER, The Music Box *
7.30pm / £8 adv / www.wegottickets.co.uk or 0161 832 1111

Fri 07 Dec: COVENTRY, Taylor Johns House *
8pm / £8 adv / www.tinangeltickets.co.uk

Sat 08 Dec: MINEHEAD, All Tomorrow’s Parties *
www.atpfestival.com/events/portishead

Tue 11 Dec: DUBLIN, Crawdaddy **
8pm / €17.45 adv / www.ticketmaster.ie or 0818719390

Wed 12 Dec: CORK, Cyprus Avenue **
8.30pm / €12 / www.cyprusavenue.ie

* denotes performance with Unger Balázs and Ferenc Kovács
** denotes duo performance

http://www.ahawkandahacksaw.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/ahawkandahacksaw
http://www.posteverything.com/ahaah
http://www.last.fm/music/A+Hawk+and+a+Hacksaw/+events
http://www.qujunktions.com

On AHAAH live:

“It’s surreal, furious and thoroughly invigorating” 4/5 The Guardian

“Amazing” 8/10 Drowned In Sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back