a hawk and a hacksaw (2 Viewers)

Beirut were incredible. There was up to 10 of them on stage at times (including the 2 AHAAH people) and they looked like they were well enjoying it. There was no setlist so they were kind of making it up as they went, but the performance was amazing. They played some alternative version of Brandenburg and some new song. I think everything else was on the album. The set lasted about 40 minutes or maybe slightly less. For the last tune the second trumpeter (not Zach) and their Bez came down into the crowd and played their bits from there.

A Hawk and a Hacksaw played a great set too. It was about 25 minutes or so long. Jeremy Barnes had the best hat ever on him. It had a drumstick protroding from it and he bashed a cymbal every now and then. He had another drumstick fixed to his leg and he played a cowbell (I think it was) with that.

Beirut need to come back and play some small venue here before they get too big. Imagine seeing that in somewhere like whelans.

According to a flier being handed out, they are re-releasing Gulag Orkestar next week as a 2-disc set with some EP as part of the package. Should be good (even though I typically hate when bands do that).

Calexico didn't stand a chance after that opener. They were very average.

Calexico didn't stand a chance after that opener. They were very average.

seen them twice already, very going through the motions both times...

saw yr man Joey thing in Whelans small room, he was okay... but this was the same day I first heard Sno' Angel by Howe Gelb, so all I kept think was how much cooler Howe Gelb is...

gutted I missed Beruit and AHAH

Missed AHAH 'cos I didn't know they'd be on so early. Beirut were indeed fantastic, really love to see them play their own show soon. I was hugely disappointed with Calexico. Their new songs are just terrible, straightforward rock songs that you could easily imagine on a Counting Crows record. I won't be going to see them again if that's their new direction.

Beirut lead guy plays all the instruments for his album, so all those guys are just hired for touring, which is shit expensive...hopefully money permitting they will play here in lil venue, they hardly make anything but it would be SO great

Had a huge grin for the part of Beirut I caught, damn missing ahawkandahacksaw, the only part of Calexico I enjoyed really were the visuals for dance/song of the dead(?) . They were amazingly lovely.

balls. I cornered one of them in the alleyway beside the Olympia after and told him to make sure they came back and played their own show. Waste of time so if hes only the hired help.

I'm sure he'll pass it on. We were telling them about Electric Picnic and such too. One of the guys says he makes more money waiting on tables in NewYork, but hey, that could be mega profitable. They asked us where to go after, where a typical Calexico fan wouldn't...oh dear.
Some fecker was singing ole ole, after Calexico. That's feckin MORTO, I had to leave for fear of Fields of Athenry . *shudder

I'm sure he'll pass it on. We were telling them about Electric Picnic and such too. One of the guys says he makes more money waiting on tables in NewYork, but hey, that could be mega profitable. They asked us where to go after, where a typical Calexico fan wouldn't...oh dear.
Some fecker was singing ole ole, after Calexico. That's feckin MORTO, I had to leave for fear of Fields of Athenry . *shudder

He (the blondey guy with the glasses) wouldn't tell us where the after-show was on. I get the impression they were taking full advantage of the fact that they were in a country where they were old enough to get served alcohol. Mr.Condon certainly looked to have had a few on board during Beirut's set (he hardly noticed during their last song when one of the others clocked him in the head with a bouzouki!). Its easy to forget that these lads are mere kids (condon is only 19 I think) I suppose and travelling around playing gigs as they are might be a little daunting for them at first.

Calexico fans? Yeah, an 'interesting' bunch for sure!

Beirut need to come back and play some small venue here before they get too big. Imagine seeing that in somewhere like whelans.

According to a flier being handed out, they are re-releasing Gulag Orkestar next week as a 2-disc set with some EP as part of the package. Should be good (even though I typically hate when bands do that).

1) I was told March, and I'd guess the Village?

2) It's not being re-released.. it was only ever available here on import!

Agreed.. amazing shows (excluding Calexico). Jeremy was especially friendly afterwards too.. he was happy to sign a NMH book I had.

what's the story with calexico these days?
i remember them being really good the couple of times i saw them a few years ago

they played in the Music Center once with "El Topo" on screen behind them
crajeee

A Hawk And A Hacksaw will tour the UK with The Hun Hangár Ensemble in May 2007. The tour is organised by Contemporary Music Network.

AHAAH will release an EP recorded with The Hun Hangár Ensemble in Budapest, Hungary, to coincide with the tour.

A HAWK AND A HACKSAW
with THE HUN HANGÁR ENSEMBLE
UK Tour: 5 – 12 May 2007

A Hawk And A Hacksaw is Jeremy Barnes and Heather Trost from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Informed by their travels and adventures around the world, their sound is a fantastical and emotive mix of Eastern European folk, gypsy song, klezmer, Mexican fanfare and gorgeous cinematic flourishes, with flashes of classic songwriting. Blending eastern and western sensibilities, both poetical and socially conscious, bucolic and urban, AHAAH are a rare band, steeped in tradition yet plotting their own idiosyncratic course, not so much breaking from musical history as singing its essential values in wholly new forms.

For this very special Contemporary Music Network tour, Jeremy and Heather have taken in a group of four adventurous musicians from Hungary and one from the UK (collectively known as The Hun Hangár Ensemble) to present their music at its most ambitious and uproarious. Featuring bagpipes, clarinet, saxophone, taragoto, trumpet, drums, accordion, upright bass, viola and violin, the show will include stunning new music, re-workings of traditional Hungarian and Balkan folk songs, and material from AHAAH's back catalogue. These are modern day troubadours whose beguiling compositions will combine ancient folk song, subtle global commentary, and allusions to marching tunes, jazz and modern composition. If 'purity is a myth', this is a beautiful and new reality. With a similar approach to Brazil's Tropicalia movement, or George Harrison’s forays into the Indian subcontinent, AHAAH have seamlessly synthesized an armful of world musics and counter-cultural influences into an irresistible and otherworldly whole.

AHAAH's travels have always played a defining role in their sound. Following journeys made through America's indie underground, life as a postman in the UK, settlements in France and the Czech Republic, Jeremy dispatched himself to a Romanian village for two weeks in the spring of 2006, living and breathing music with local (and internationally renowned) musicians Fanfare Cioc?rlia. His sojourn resulted in the recordings that became AHAAH’s incandescent third album, The Way The Wind Blows, released on UK indie The Leaf Label towards the end of 2006, boosting an already feverish word of mouth reputation, further enhanced by a headline slot at The 2006 Green Man festival and a recent tour with Beirut and Calexico.

Jeremy continued his travels with an exploratory trip to Hungary in the autumn, where he developed a huge respect for Budapest’s Fonó, a music shop, venue and centre for Hungarian folk music. Following a succession of concerts and impromptu sessions with Fonó-affiliated musicians, The Hun Hangár Ensemble was born. These musicians have vast experience and respect for Hungarian folk traditions but are also well versed in other idioms such as avant-garde jazz and minimalist composition and play in some of Hungary’s most esteemed groups as well as small ad hoc bands and projects. They share AHAAH's desire to tread new ground, and when they were invited along for a new ride they took up the challenge.

Multi-instrumentalist Béla Ágoston, an inspirational figure within the Budapest music scene, known for his freedom of thought and expression, has worked with The Odessa Klezmer Band and Szvorák Kati among others. Ferenc Kovács, a self-proclaimed ‘contemporary peasant’ and a phenomenal trumpet and violin player, is a member of the Balogh Kálmán Gipsy Cymbalom Band and the Romano Kokalo, and has played with Archie Shepp, Roscoe Mitchell, Hamid Drake and more. His solo recordings combine a Reichian approach to minimalism with a Hungarian folk influence. Upright bass player Zsolt Kürtösi, a member of the Budowicz Klezmer Band with considerable experience in traditional Hungarian and Transylvanian folk musics and klezmer. Balázs Unger, a young maestro of the cymbalom (a dulcimer-like instrument central to traditional Hungarian music) has played since the age of 14 in a wide variety of styles, including jazz (with the Mihaly Dresch Quartet), and Hungarian and Balkan folk. AHAAH have also invited Alex Nielson, a highly gifted and original young English percussionist, to join the ensemble (he is also a member of Directing Hand and Scatter).

With Jeremy and Heather moving to Budapest in February for the foreseeable future, the whole group will be ensconced in the city for rehearsals until the tour in May, and will record a selection of new and traditional songs to be released as an EP to coincide with the tour. This tour will be the first time A Hawk And A Hacksaw have been able to present the arrangements and instrumentation of their records live on stage, and anticipations are high.

LINE UP:

A Hawk And A Hacksaw
Jeremy Barnes (accordion, drums, vocals)
Heather Trost (violin, glockenspiel, vocals)

The Hun Hangár Ensemble
Béla Ágoston (Hungarian bagpipes, clarinet, alto saxophone, taragoto, viola)
Zsolt Kürtösi (upright bass, accordion)
Ferenc Kovács (trumpet, violin)
Balázs Unger (cymbalom)
Alex Nielson (percussion)

TOUR DATES MAY 2007:

Sat 05 OXFORD, ZODIAC (promoted by OCM and Vacuous Pop)
Doors 7.30pm (TBC) / tickets TBC / 0870 750 0659 / www.ocmevents.org

Sun 06 NORWICH, ARTS CENTRE
Doors 8pm / £10 (£8 concessions) / 01603 660352 / www.norwichartscentre.co.uk

Mon 07 LEEDS, HOLY TRINITY CHURCH w/ Jack Rose
Doors 7.30pm / £12 (advance) / 08700 600 100 / www.ticketweb.co.uk

Tue 08 GLASGOW, THE ARCHES w/ Jack Rose
Doors 7.30pm / £9 (advance + BF) / 0870 240 7528 / www.thearches.co.uk

Wed 09 NEWCASTLE, UNIVERSITY OF NORTHUMBRIA w/Jack Rose (promoted by NoFi)
Doors 7.30pm / tickets TBC / 0191 227 4757 / www.mynsu.co.uk

Thu 10 CARDIFF, THE POINT (promoted by Forecast)
Doors 7.30pm / £10 / 029 2046 0873 / www.thepointcardiffbay.com

Fri 11 LONDON, BUSH HALL w/ Jack Rose (promoted by Eat Your Own Ears)
Doors 7.30pm / £10.50 / 08700 600 100 / www.ticketweb.co.uk / www.eatyourownears.com

Sat 12 BRIGHTON, DOME w/ King Naat Veliov and The Original Ko?ani Orkestar (part of Brighton Festival)
Doors 7.30pm / £15/18 / 01273 709 709 / www.brightonfestival.org

ARTIST INFORMATION

A Hawk And A Hacksaw:
Jeremy Barnes is a drummer, accordionist and singer from Albuquerque, New Mexico, with his own rich and colourful musical history.

Heather Trost, a member of the Nahalot Shalom Community Klezmer Band, is a violinist and violist from Albuquerque, New Mexico.

A Hawk And A Hacksaw have released three critically acclaimed albums to date: their self-titled debut in 2003, Darkness At Noon in 2005 and The Way The Wind Blows in 2006.

PRESS:

“Barnes and Trost obviously have a real feeling for the music and an instinctive way of shaping it, building something quiet and unique… should become required listening for attempting all such fusions” fROOTS

"loving and irreverent world music for punks" Plan B

"bold and scattily brilliant" Time Out

"the soul and passion of the world's folk music" DJ

“first-class folk” The Guardian

“a captivating ragbag mixture of styles that blends Barnes’s meandering, vaudevillian songlines with plangent melodies of violinist Heather Trost” Daily Telegraph

“a fascinating experiment that leaves you wishing more rock bands would show such adventure” The Times

when did they last stop by?

there a cancelled gig in Toners and an opening spot for Calexico I was unwilling to shell out for

I'm pretty sure they cancelled two gigs.
And they only played for twenty minutes for their Calexico support slot. Workshy hippies!
Still, Beirut was amazing at that show.
Calexico seem to have turned into The fugg'n Eagles, man.
Mind you their on-line only cd 'The Book & The Canal' is much better than that 'Garden Ruin' thing.

they cancelled a belfast and a dublin date, so I don't think they ever actually played here... total bummer, no idea what happened... and I'm sure twenty minutes is all they got for the set considering there was another opening act

I'm pretty sure they cancelled two gigs.
And they only played for twenty minutes for their Calexico support slot. Workshy hippies!
Still, Beirut was amazing at that show.
Calexico seem to have turned into The fugg'n Eagles, man.
Mind you their on-line only cd 'The Book & The Canal' is much better than that 'Garden Ruin' thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back