2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

the teams capable of winning the Euros in order of ranking in my estimation:
France, Spain, Belgium, Italy, England.

out of that lot Belgium would be by far the most welcome winners.
KDB would be a huge loss.

Rudiger body checked De Bruyne deliberately but was trying to block him rather than smash him.
Rudiger is a big guy so I assume his shoulder went into De Bruyne's face.
dangerous and there's a strong argument what Rudiger did should be a red but not under the current rules.
yeah, the teams didn't like each other (!) and it showed a few times in the later stages

it was good match. not a cagy typical CL final. Guardiola set up his team badly without Fernandinho or Rodri as defensive midfielder.
Guardiola made poor use of substitutions when it was obvious he'd gotten it wrong from the first five minutes.
none of the City players did themselves justice, Walker was ace to begin with but faded.
Tuchel was superb and his team apart from Werner were excellent.
Kante was brilliant and showed the importance of that role.

so there was a reason Glen Whelan won that many caps after all!

It was definitely a yellow but not a red I reckon. Actually if you watch more local football, you'll see that kind of shit all the time without even a free kick being given! I always fuckin hated that move, and I always said it should always be a yellow, but I don't think it's a red.
I fuckin love that Guardiola still hasn't won the CL with anybody but classic Barcelona. Like, give me peak Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi, and I'll win the Champions League for ya no bother

Are-You-READY?
Nice to have a break (inc two improved Ireland performances that deserved more credit) but now it's time to waste a few more weeks watching more lads run around a field after a ball - sure, what else would ya be doin' ?

in a football / music tie in, Pat Nevin was interviewed on 6 pm BBC News yesterday about Scotland's prospects
he had 8 photos of album covers on his wall behind him. I could identify:

J.D. - Closer
ASSOCIATES - Sulk
Bowie - Heroes
GO-BETWEENS - 16 Lovers Lane
BUNNYMEN - Heaven Up Here
MBV - Loveless

love looking at people's backdrops on pandemic interviews and trying to identify their books.

Lisa Simpson watches BBC 'soccer' documentary
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and in another unexpected connection w/ 1985 moving statues are real!

Sulk by the Associates. A man of taste.

Not to bang on again about what an incredible album it is...fair play to you, Niven.
love looking at people's backdrops on pandemic interviews and trying to identify their books.
A friend sent me a really bad photo recently of a drumkit he was playing on in someone's apartment... wrecking my head trying to make out the titles on the bookcase...it was all abstruse stuff like Wittgenstein, Heidegger etc.

Just put 4 quid on Turkey to win outright. They're 50/1.

I might back Scotland to make it to the semis.

Italy really laid down a maker.
Everything went nearly perfectly and they didn't give a good Turkish side a sniff.
Even watching Turkey made it blatantly obvious how out our depth Ireland would be at the tournament -
Turkey would smosh us.

I was going to post the original version of The Boys In Green from Euro 1988 on the 80's pop thread today but the only footage of it was from the Late Late Show and Gay Byrne antics ruined it.
He hogged the whole thing and he couldn't just stand aside and let them mime it.

I couldn't have put the kibosh anymore on Turkey if I underwent an apprenticeship in witchcraft with a Christopher Lee like mentor for years that cumulated in me going to their national stadium during a heavy thunderstorm and raining down archaic threats in Persian whilst carving hieroglyphs in Byzantine code in measured blocks around the grounds.

Ah no, Italy absolutely steamrolled there. Although Turkey looked like eleven men impersonating Bruce Grobbelaar at times.

Should have waited until tomorrow to lay the bet.

Hahaha I expect Italy could reach the final here, they're very good now under Mancini.
Turkey were very disappointing, they've been on and off good the last couple of years but their tactics today were awful, completely wrong.

Scotland have improved a lot in the last year and it'd be amazing if they do England, but it's still fairly unlikely. They're good underdogs is all, it'd be a real achievement for them to get out of the group stages.

The group of death is hilarious, but I bet it produces a rake of dour 0-0 draws. Or maybe good 2-2 draws, actually that's more likely. Draws though.

I would have put Belgium as favourites, but missing DeBruyne is massive, as he's the best attacking midfielder in the world right now I'd say. It was still fucking hilarious seeing him get smashed hahaha. Belgium should make semis easily enough anyway.

The standard for the Euros this year is really probably the highest we've ever seen in a tournament, it's very hard to pick the top teams apart from each other.
I haven't really looked at how the draws work out, but I could imagine a France - Italy final. Which Italy win on penalties after a French genius and legend headbutts Chiellini eehhh I mean...

Met up with two friends for first time since last autumn today. When I got home I turned on the TV to see Denmark v Finland but there was no football on either BBC or RTE 2.
I knew something was badly wrong but fortunately Sky Sports News had just sourced a photo of Eriksen awake when he was being carried off the pitch.
Thankfully the way the Danes behaved and the medical crew saving Christian will be remembered long after results are forgotten.

Had a very similar thing happen in 6 aside once, some people on here would surely know the lad. Reckon auto-defibrillator saved his life, hooray for auto-defibrillator.

As far as the football goes, on paper it looks like Belgium had an easy 3-0 win over Russia. In reality, the entire game was ruined after 10 minutes when the first Belgian goal that was blatantly a meter offside was given without even a VAR check on it. Fucking mental. Bring VAR in, and then just let matches be ruined anyway. Cunts.

That 2nd Schick goal is especially mental when you see it from behind the goal:

Such a hit, but it feel just perfectly for him to hit it that way. Wasn't Marshall at fault, was Hendry that made the mistake by going for a ridiculous shot from about 40 yards with a load of players in front of him when he had a free winger to pass too in a good position on his right. Stupid shit from Hendry.

Can't imagine Hungary getting any points in the group they're in anyway, they'll surely get hammered in every match. You'd say "What a group" at it except that probably 3 teams go through anyway, which is fuckin shit. If it was for sure only 2 teams you'd love to see those 3 having to fight each other for it.

Such a hit, but it feel just perfectly for him to hit it that way. Wasn't Marshall at fault, was Hendry that made the mistake by going for a ridiculous shot from about 40 yards with a load of players in front of him when he had a free winger to pass too in a good position on his right. Stupid shit from Hendry.

Can't imagine Hungary getting any points in the group they're in anyway, they'll surely get hammered in every match. You'd say "What a group" at it except that probably 3 teams go through anyway, which is fuckin shit. If it was for sure only 2 teams you'd love to see those 3 having to fight each other for it.

The one thing Hungary might have going for them is home matches in a full stadium.

70,000 people at the match in Budapest and almost none wore masks even though you needed one to get in.

meanwhile in Munchen

have too say there are several matches over last few days I only watched bits of.
even I don't have time to watch three matches everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back