2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

Miguel Angel Gonzalez (1947 - 6 February 2024)
Standing at 5'9" Miguel Angel played 346 matches for Real Madrid (1967-86) being first choice from 1974/75 onwards. Real won 8 Liga titles, 5 cups and two UEFA Cups in his time there.
He won 18 caps for Spain and was their goalkeeper at the 1978 World Cup.
Miguel Angel was suffering with Motor Neuron Disease.

Incudes video tribute:

Jorge Toro (1939 - 16 February 2024)
Toro starred on home soil in the 1962 World Cup where he scored two goals for Chile inc. a long range shot in this infamous match.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Toro then joined Sampdoria and spent 8 years playing in Italy mostly with Modena and also Verona.
Toro controversially was left out of the 1966 World Cup squad as the coach hadn't seen him play recently.

Artur Jorge (13 February 1946 - 22 February 2024)
Manager of FC Porto's 1987 European Cup winning side. He led them to three Portuguese Liga titles.
Jorge won another title with Paris St. Germain in 1994.
His other jobs included managing Portugal (twice), Benfica and Suisse.
Despite starting playing at Porto, I didn't realise until today that Jorge was a prolific striker for Benfica playing alongside Eusebio.
Rabah Madjer's magico back heel goal in 1987 European Cup Final.

Freiburg again.

I'm going to have to start learning their fans names at this point.

It's all looking Leverkusen anyway, or so People are saying.

Freiburg again.

I'm going to have to start learning their fans names at this point.

It's all looking Leverkusen anyway, or so People are saying.

Yeah - whoever wins it will have to beat Leverkusen. Liverpool are probably best of rest.

Europa Conference draw:
Villa (v Ajax) are one of two teams left from any of big leagues along with Fiorentina who are laboured with having to play Maccabi Haifa.
Olympiacos got Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Injury permitting Villa have a great chance of taking the Cup.

Total Expert here:

Liverpool are busy with other things. Brighton are probably not baying for trophies yet. Rangers? meh. I have no idea what West Ham might do. I can't see the wood from the trees there. The Leverkusen prediction I heard came from weeks ago.

i do see Villa being perfectly capable of doing their cup though. And I would have said that months ago.

Warsaw last night apparently.
Looks like Legia alright - I was at a match there back in August. The stand with the ultras in it was blatantly displaying various different offensive messages during the course of the game (think most of them were aimed at politicians/government) but obviously I couldn't read them haha

Leverkusen 2-1 Mainz ended in last 10 minutes.
A long range shot in 2nd half that swerved all over the place was bollocked up the Mainz keeper after two early goals in first 7 mins.

Leverkusen have now set a new German record of 33 games unbeaten in all comps.

Forgot to watch Italy 0-0 Ireland women.
Pity they don't show it on RTE 2 instead of U20 rugby malarkey.

NOT the former thumped member of same name.

Stan Bowles (1948 - 24 February 2024)
Maverick QPR forward of 1970's.
Stan had acknowledged he had Alzheimer's as long ago as 2015.

Stan was born in Manchester and started with City but struggled to break into their brilliant team in the late 60's. He made his name after joining QPR where he more or less replaced Rodney Marsh in 1973.
In 1976 QPR narrowly lost out on the League title to a super Liverpool team. A defeat to Norwich in the penultimate game cost them.
After becoming one of the club's most popular and finest ever players, at the end of the 70's Stan joined League Champions Forest but rarely played.
Stan ended his pro career at Brentford in 1984.
He won 5 caps scoring once.

Like Marsh, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson and Tony Currie. Stan become associated with long haired, hard living, high skilled football extroverts who were hugely popular with 70's football supporters.
So until illness struck Stan had work as a writer, raconteur, pundit and columnist with his tales of life on and off the pitch.

Leverkusen 2-1 Mainz ended in last 10 minutes.
A long range shot in 2nd half that swerved all over the place was bollocked up the Mainz keeper after two early goals in first 7 mins.

Leverkusen have now set a new German record of 33 games unbeaten in all comps.

Forgot to watch Italy 0-0 Ireland women.
Pity they don't show it on RTE 2 instead of U20 rugby malarkey.
I caught the last 20 minutes or so of the Ireland women's match, after I realised it was on that RTE news channel!
Ireland look a decent side now, defending mostly well and they had some very well-worked counter attacks. Italy still missed an utter sitter about 5 minutes from time that should have won it though.

Leeds were unlucky last night in FA Cup at Stamford Bridge.
In League encounters between the hated rivals Leeds have won 10 matches more than Chelsea.
But in 13 Cup matches Leeds have never beaten Chelsea. Weird.

Also just realised that Victor Moses is still playing regularly for Spartak Moscow - WTF?!

Pogba banned for 4 years for a doping violation.

He's 30 now, you'd have to think that's the end of his career, at least at an elite level.

I know he won a world cup and all, but it's hard to look at someone who was so obviously massively talented and not think that he didn't come close to fulfilling his potential.

Football fren has strong suspicions about doping in football generally. It doesn't get mentioned much but you'd have to assume it's happening.

I'm not saying you can't be always gegenpressing, but it'd be hard to be gegenpressing. That's not me saying that....

Football fren has strong suspicions about doping in football generally. It doesn't get mentioned much but you'd have to assume it's happening.

I'm not saying you can't be always gegenpressing, but it'd be hard to be gegenpressing. That's not me saying that....

I think a lot of people were very naive about the idea of it until quite recently, "drugs can't help you trap a football better," which is true but they can help you trap a ball just as well in the 82nd minute after you've run 10K+ in a series of short sharp sprints as you did when the game kicked off.

There's too much money in football for people to not be cheating for an edge. Look at how City have obviously cheated financially, no way they wouldn't also rule out actual doping too for moral reasons. Sure Pep had a doping violation at the end of his career that he was lucky to get overturned on a technicality.

Why wouldn't you dope soccer players. Who the fuck wants to watch 20 people tiredly limp after a ball for the last 30 minutes. They exist for my entertainment.

He's no Clem Johnson

I think a lot of people were very naive about the idea of it until quite recently, "drugs can't help you trap a football better," which is true but they can help you trap a ball just as well in the 82nd minute after you've run 10K+ in a series of short sharp sprints as you did when the game kicked off.

There's too much money in football for people to not be cheating for an edge. Look at how City have obviously cheated financially, no way they wouldn't also rule out actual doping too for moral reasons. Sure Pep had a doping violation at the end of his career that he was lucky to get overturned on a technicality.
Yeah exactly. Why are there so many late goals? Fatigue - that's were drugs come in.
Also you only the full benefits of doping if you train hard - it enables you to do extra training more than anything.

If doping is an advantage and you can get away with it then people will do it.

I don't like to think about it but doping is almost certainly normal in most sports, inc. soccer.

The strange thing was Pogba getting caught at all. So few players are caught - it must be easy to get away with it.

Man, doping is absolutely fucking rife in football. Dr Ferrari was all over Real Madrid. Not all footballers are dopers, there's plenty of honest ones, but there's a massive amount of doping in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back