2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

accidentally found a bio of footballer, writer, anti-doping / anti-corruption campaigner and investigator
Carlo Petrini (1948 - 2012). Petrini called out Luciano Moggi in a 2000 book partly related to the 1980 Totonero match fixing scandal and his own part in it.
Petrini's doctors believed that his sight, damaged by severe glaucoma, was possibly caused by doping in his career.
He had a journey man career but still turned out for many big clubs - Milan, Roma, Torino, Verona, Bologna and Genoa.
Italian wiki:
less detailed but still very informative English wiki:

Flying over to The Grove on Staruday.

Haven't seen Arsenal play live in the league since 2017.
Arsenal away is one of a few hard matches Everton have coming up. I thought Arsenal had capitulated a few weeks ago, but no.
the Toffees have Wolves away and Bournemouth up last in May.

I am making a bigger effort to follow the L.O.I. this year.
Bohs top after two matches! Rovers had two sent off in Drogheda.
big crowds at the at the matches so far👍

Great crowds at the LOI matches, it's fuckin great to see. Just too bad it makes it so hard to get a ticket!
very true. that reminds me I meant to try and tickets for a few Bohs games.
UCD or Sligo are probably my best bet?

I think people are sick of the way billionaire sport is going and domestic soccer and the GAA will benefit from that.
I saw a bit of Mayo v Kerry under the floodlights in Castlebar on TV a few weeks back and I'd say there was 20,000 there.

very true. that reminds me I meant to try and tickets for a few Bohs games.
UCD or Sligo are probably my best bet?

I think people are sick of the way billionaire sport is going and domestic soccer and the GAA will benefit from that.
I saw a bit of Mayo v Kerry under the floodlights in Castlebar on TV a few weeks back and I'd say there was 20,000 there.
Yeah would imagine UCD will still be easy to go to.
St Pats are still usually okay for getting tickets, but they are getting very full so last time I was there I was sitting at the back of the shit stand behind the goal

Yeah would imagine UCD will still be easy to go to.
St Pats are still usually okay for getting tickets, but they are getting very full so last time I was there I was sitting at the back of the shit stand behind the goal
went to UCD near end of last season it wasn't sold out until within two weeks of the match.
no problems getting away tickets for that one!

UCD lost 2-3 to Sligo last weekend. the pen to make it 2-2 for Sligo was very obviously a foul outside the box.

went to UCD near end of last season it wasn't sold out until within two weeks of the match.
no problems getting away tickets for that one!

UCD lost 2-3 to Sligo last weekend. the pen to make it 2-2 for Sligo was very obviously a foul outside the box.
THE CHALLENGE HAPPENED OUTSIDE THE SHAGGIN BOX!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hahahahahaha

another accidential discovery on wiki:
FOUR Italian internationals hailed from the same town of 6,000 outside Bergamo.
Calcinate is the home town of Andrea Belotti, Pietro Vierchowod, Manolo Gabbiadini and his sister Melania Gabbiadini (114 caps / 45 goals).

the Calcio players wiki's all have a nice section called ''Style of play'' which seems to written by the same person or in the same style at least. loads of nice terms like ''correct behaviour'' which I assume translates from Italian.
Vierchowod's section is ace:
Maradona said Vierchowod (whom he dubbed ''The Hulk'') was the best defender he ever played against and Lineker, Van Basten and Batistuta also lavish him praise.

THE CHALLENGE HAPPENED OUTSIDE THE SHAGGIN BOX!!

hahahahahaha

the commentators on the LOI are a good laugh as the home clubs supply them.

my nephew supports Middlesbrough and always has good stories about home commentators on English Championship matches he watches on the dodgy box.

Just Fontaine (1933 - 1 March 2023)
Moroccan born French striker who won 4 French Championships (one w/Nice and three w/ Reims) He also lost the 1959 European Cup Final w/ Reims to Real Madrid.
Fontaine is best remembered for scoring 13 goals in France's run to the semis at the 1958 World Cup. Inc. 4 alone in the 3rd place match against West Germany. Fontaine scored 30 goals in just 21 caps(!)
Sadly he had to retire due to injury shortly before his 29th birthday.

He later worked as a manager including a brief spell in charge of France.

A huge amount of people play professional football at some stage in life. Unfortunately it doesn't stop you from meeting a tragic end. It often comes up that an obscure player has died young in awful circumstances - even been shot dead isn't unheard of.

but the story of Pelayo Novo (1990 - 28 February 2023) is particularly sad.

Forgot to mention this hombre a few days ago -
Alberto Mario Gonzalez (1941 - 26 February 2023)
A left winger with Boca who won three national championships, Gonzalez won 19 caps. Gonzalez played one match in the 1962 World Cup and all four matches in Argentina's 1966 World Cup finals campaign.
He later managed four clubs, including Boca briefly.

Cormac posted the 30 minute doc on famous Eintracht Frankfurt fan Helmut 'Sonny' Sonneberg (1931 - 10/2/ 2023) on another thread a year or two back. I saw today that he passed away a few weeks ago.
Sonny was a man of many talents including being a jazz drummer ...and he and his family were Holocaust victims.
Raised as a Catholic, Sonny didn't realise his family were Jewish until his mother told him after the local Synagogue was burned in 1938.
When it was revealed that longtime Eintracht player and club president Rudolf Gramlich (1908-1988) had been in the Waffen SS, Sonny stopped being a club member. But the Eintracht president since 2000, Peter Fischer, denounced Gramlich and personally asked Sonny back to the club and became good friends with him.
Fischer also banned members of the Alternative For Deutschland party from being club members and won a court case concerning this.

Sonny was a lovely old gent who loved life and like many survivors he only told his story in later life.

Fiorentina full back Christian Biraghi scored from a free kick in his own half at Verona last Monday.

only saw this on Friday. Verona 'keeper didn't do a lot wrong. Biraghi had little to work with but got it perfecto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back