2020-21 Football thread (4 Viewers)

Yeah, that could have been a career ender and maybe would have been for a lot of other players. Such a shame because without that you'd have to think he would have been one of the best wingbacks in the world for the next few years

Seeing as you're all talking about football standings, someone took me to Leyton Orient the other day. Certainly the nicest football experience I've had thus far. For several reasons, I'm almost, almost enamoured.
Anyway 1st in their league with a 13 point lead, but the 2nd place team has three games in hand.

Seeing as you're all talking about football standings, someone took me to Leyton Orient the other day. Certainly the nicest football experience I've had thus far. For several reasons, I'm almost, almost enamoured.
Anyway 1st in their league with a 13 point lead, but the 2nd place team has three games in hand.
yeah - Orient are back where they should be after some tough years.

yeah - Orient are back where they should be after some tough years.

Funny old thing, the guy that brought me there has decided that bringing The Gang to an O's game would be a good day out. So we'll be doing that, maybe the second last game of the season. And as a not-football-fan, it actually seems like a great idea.

Third best team in the world, I've been told.

HT now in a blinder of a match at Anfield v Real Madrid.
If you've got any interest in football watch the second half.
Bet you there's 3 more goals in this game.

HT now in a blinder of a match at Anfield v Real Madrid.
If you've got any interest in football watch the second half.
Bet you there's 3 more goals in this game.
I was right - 5-2 unfortunately. great match football wise. best I've seen between these two clubs.
the first two goals (Nunez, Vinicius) were great and the last one (Benzema) was good. the others were soft give aways.
Vinicius' first goal was unreal. there looked to be absolutely nothing on but surrounded by Liverpool players w/ nothing to aim at he still scored.
not as impressive as Napoli 4-1 LFC last autumn tho'. Napoli should have got 7 or 8.

Amancio (1939 - 21 February 2023)
One of Real Madrid's greats, goal scoring right winger Amancio won 9 Liga titles, three Copas and the 1966 European Cup.
Amancio earned 42 caps (11 goals) and won the 1964 Euros on home turf and was in the 1966 World Cup squad.
He later managed Real for less than a season in 1984-85

Peter Zhekov (1944 - 18 February 2023)
CSKA Sofia striker who won 6 league titles and was six times top scorer in the league. Zhekov won the 1969 European Golden Boot.
He played in the 1966 and 1970 World Cups and captained Bulgaria to the silver medal in the 1968 Olympics. Zhekov scored 25 goals in 44 caps.

I was right - 5-2 unfortunately. great match football wise. best I've seen between these two clubs.
the first two goals (Nunez, Vinicius) were great and the last one (Benzema) was good. the others were soft give aways.
Vinicius' first goal was unreal. there looked to be absolutely nothing on but surrounded by Liverpool players w/ nothing to aim at he still scored.
not as impressive as Napoli 4-1 LFC last autumn tho'. Napoli should have got 7 or 8.
Was watching this by text and left it at half time
Just saw the full

Fucking hell

Mad shit at Anfield last night. Salah's goal was a bit of a fluke but the opener was a terrific bit of play by him and Nunez.

And Liverpool's press got Real into trouble a few times early on. "Have they found themselves again," I was wondering. No they have not.

Vinicius Jr. is a really terrific player, TAA must hate the sight of him after last night, the CL final and the match a couple of seasons ago at the diddy bernabeau during Covid when Kroos kept dropping balls over his head for Vini to run on to.

Obviously playing for Real is a big pull factor but he's had a really shit time of it from fans in the past year, and I know England is not without its racism problems but I wonder if he'd think of the money he could get in the PL and start to think that Spain can go fuck itself.

Ireland women are playing China at the moment live on RTE News channel (517 on Sky).
0-0 early in second half -not too exciting. China should scored just there after an awful back pass.

Mad shit at Anfield last night. Salah's goal was a bit of a fluke but the opener was a terrific bit of play by him and Nunez.

And Liverpool's press got Real into trouble a few times early on. "Have they found themselves again," I was wondering. No they have not.

Vinicius Jr. is a really terrific player, TAA must hate the sight of him after last night, the CL final and the match a couple of seasons ago at the diddy bernabeau during Covid when Kroos kept dropping balls over his head for Vini to run on to.

Obviously playing for Real is a big pull factor but he's had a really shit time of it from fans in the past year, and I know England is not without its racism problems but I wonder if he'd think of the money he could get in the PL and start to think that Spain can go fuck itself.
a few of the times Liverpool lost to Real in recent years they were very unlucky - but not last night.
it's all matches that were close that bother me. and supporters lives being put at risk at the Stade de France.

sad to hear Vinicius gets a lot of abuse - he's a hell of player. Modric is still the maestro.

RIP John Motson (1945 - 2023)
A genuine friendly football nerd who had an honest view on the game.

Motty repeatedly picked these two Euro matches as two of the best games he ever saw.

''Tigana again. Tigana...TIGANA...PLATINI - GOAALL! .....I'VE NOT SEEN A MATCH LIKE THIS IN YEARS!''
France 3-2 Portugal a.e.t. Euro '84 semi final. Stade Velodrome, Marseilles
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

''IT'S ALFONSOO! IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!''
Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia Euro 2000 group match in Bruges.

Euro 2000 was the best Euros I've seen. the standard of football was immense.

I looked up that jacket Erik Ten Hag is permanently wearing. 700 euro. I'd totally wear it 24/7 too if i'd payed that much. anywhoo i dont actually want one, it's a bit sorta wednesday adams looking.

Motty and another nice bloke (Trevor Brooking) describe Robbie Keane provoking the loudest noise I've ever heard

Real were fuckin awesome in that match. The way they reacted to going 2-0 is the reason they are the current champions - no bullshit, no blaming Courtois, no putting the heads down. Instead Modric and Benzema and co. just saying 'relax lads, let's go score some goals'. Fuckin awesome, they're a machine. And I hate Real like, but can't really hate the way Ancelotti has them playing - and Ancelotti rules.

RIP John Motson (1945 - 2023)
A genuine friendly football nerd who had an honest view on the game.

Motty repeatedly picked these two Euro matches as two of the best games he ever saw.

''Tigana again. Tigana...TIGANA...PLATINI - GOAALL! .....I'VE NOT SEEN A MATCH LIKE THIS IN YEARS!''
France 3-2 Portugal a.e.t. Euro '84 semi final. Stade Velodrome, Marseilles

''IT'S ALFONSOO! IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!''
Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia Euro 2000 group match in Bruges.

Euro 2000 was the best Euros I've seen. the standard of football was immense.

I remember watching that Spain-Yugoslavia game, unbelievable match it was.

I remember watching that Spain-Yugoslavia game, unbelievable match it was.
I only saw the last few minutes of ESP - YUGO and was trying to work out what was going on when I got home and turned on the TV.
If I remember correctly both went out in the next round.
I remember thinking during Holland 6-0 Yugoslavia that Ireland were lucky we blew it in Macedonia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back