1st day at primary school (1 Viewer)

yea it's a bit mad really but there is a large amount of work being done by organisations like the European Commission, OECD, NESTA etc trying to better understand how you encourage/measure creativity. Their agenda is the development of the "creative industries" but there is lots of interesting research and understanding being developed.

It just happens that this year is the European year of Creativity and Innovation - http://create2009.europa.eu/ - they picked a bad time what with the recession and all....

ha ha EC, OECD, NESTA - taking the fun out of creativity since nineteen-dickety-doo (an eu rep would have succumbed to giving an actual date as opposed to makey up speak). I bet they've tried to define "fun" and "free time".

I dont think recession is a bad time to promote creativity and innovation as not only does having limitations produce some really exceptional ideas but the majority of creative and innovative people have never experienced the monetary stinking rich rollercoaster to doom we've seen recently. they tend to potter along at a constant just below the dangling carrot.

the EU made a graph of it and it looks a little something like this (red being those in creative/innovative), black representing every other consumerist whore who went loola on the money-go-round):

flash_continuous_graph.jpg

No academic citation/evidence for this nugget of info?

(Arm, B. & Sa, P., 2009. Retrospective on Conceptualising Knob Heads: Can Thumped users learn from Guido-based economies?. In You're a Knob because I said so (In Print). The Netherlands: Springer-Verlag New York, LLC.)

i think the basic resistence of the corporates is reflected in the reposnses here that are skeptical or misunderstanding the role of creativity.
I'm a creative person, and it has never done me one poxy bit of good in my job. I expect my creativity would be even less useful if I worked as a truck driver

This is the basis of my skepticism

I'm a creative person, and it has never done me one poxy bit of good in my job. I expect my creativity would be even less useful if I worked as a truck driver

This is the basis of my skepticism

Maybe you should get Ken Robinson to speak with your boss

so Egg_ who's fault is it that you don't use your "creativity" in your job? management? school? "industry"? or did you just choose the wrong career?

I'd argue that your "creativity" is an inherent part of you that can't be seperated or quanified anymore then your like or dis-like for chips... it makes up your personality and influences decesions you make in life every second of every day... the idea that it's some stigma, gift or cross to bear is absurd.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

although i'm part responisble for steering this thread in the direction of education and employment while thumped generation two are getting used to a new place and a new routine, it just crossed my mind that its very easy to loose sight of the fact that your education applies in life well beyond your job. like if in french class your language teacher worked on your ability top absorb language as opposed to your ability to repeat it, it opens a huge door in life. i use things from my education at home as well as to make money.

so Egg_ who's fault is it that you don't use your "creativity" in your job? management? school? "industry"?
You misread me sir. I do tend to be creative in my job, but very often it's not what my employer wants or needs

or did you just choose the wrong career?
Choose? I just drifted into this, same as most people do

I'd argue that your "creativity" is an inherent part of you that can't be seperated or quanified anymore then your like or dis-like for chips
Jaypers, here's yet another definition of "creativity". I thought we had agreed it just meant solving complex problems without a rulebook?

"creativity" is just another hollow buzz word flashed around schools and companies to convince people they aren't locked rigidly in the cogs of the big machine. mostly.

You misread me sir. I do tend to be creative in my job, but very often it's not what my employer wants or needs

Choose? I just drifted into this, same as most people do

Jaypers, here's yet another definition of "creativity". I thought we had agreed it just meant solving complex problems without a rulebook?

huh?! I think that's the definition of "Gung Ho"

I don't really understand what the discussions are here, school saps creativity? industry does not support creatives? where the beef is exactly?

I work as a 'creative' and while there was maybe an amount of drifting, I made choices to get where I am, in a job where I get to use my imagination and creativity (most of the time), it took long hours (it still takes long hours) and little pay at times (it still pays little, uh... ), but I still get a kick out of it and love what I do.

Believe it or believe it not, I went to school too, and college!... bizzaro!

I would consider myself 'into' creativity in that I make music etc, but I don't recall my education particularly nourishing or hindering the development of that creativity. Like most people here, I am somewhat of an autodidact and have pursued whatever self education has attracted my curiosity whether it's learning how the internal combustion engine works or the reading the novels of Thomas Hardy. But learning and creativity are two different things and it's confusing to conjoin them just because they overlap sometimes. A good education can fuel a person's creativity just as a bad education system can stifle it, but it's a reaction that moves in different directions at once so it's probably best to leave the two concepts (education and creativity) as nodding acquaintances rather than forcing them to be friends.

so Egg_ who's fault is it that you don't use your "creativity" in your job? management? school? "industry"? or did you just choose the wrong career?
Hmm hmm hmmm

I re-thought what you're saying. I'm not whining dude, I'm trying to point out that, as things stand, creativity is a skill that just isn't going to be useful in 90% of jobs. I'd love if everyone worked in a job where they were empowered to be creative, but that's not going to happen in the forseeable future - loads of the jobs that are essential to just keep the show on the road (truck driver, postman, shop assistant, etc) just don't have any scope for it

That's not to say we shouldn't teach kids to be creative, it's just that we should be aware that their creativity skills will get about as much use as their Irish language skills

From reading the thread (which I didnt) Im pretty sure everyone agrees with everyone else in this discussion. There doesnt seem to be an actual argument taking place but everyone is still arguing. Anyhow, this is the procreative forum. Anticreatives can start their own forum where they can talk about jacking off into live volcanoes or sucking babies back into the womb and forcing them to eek out a miserable existence until they die from old age and are finally born into a coffin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back