Dropped external HD no longer working (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
OK, my dumb ass of a brother just knocked my Maxtor 320gb HD off where it was sitting and now my PC doesn't recognise it anymore. I really do not want this to be fucked. It spins and whirrs a couple of time then clunks. I'm hoping the drive itself isn't cracked. Is there anything I can do to save this myself? Or will I just bring to an expert. I really do have to have all this stuff back. I've all the family photos and all of my college work backed up onto this drive..

I have no idea. It still whirrs as if the hard drive is spinning but it doesn't sound like it did before. I really hope it isn't lost.

Your data is almost certainly recoverable. The only question is how much it will cost you.

If the drive's not being recognised then hopefully it's just a circuitry issue (which is repairable - at a price) rather than the physical disk platters being damaged. If you can get the disk out of the enclosure then you could try mounting it directly in your PC, but bear in mind that any activity could worsen the damage...

Your data is almost certainly recoverable. The only question is how much it will cost you.

If the drive's not being recognised then hopefully it's just a circuitry issue (which is repairable - at a price) rather than the physical disk platters being damaged. If you can get the disk out of the enclosure then you could try mounting it directly in your PC, but bear in mind that any activity could worsen the damage...

How much are we talking about?

Ballsack anyway. Most of the files are just downloaded videos. I really want to recover my MP3s, pictures and college documents.

it's always worth trying the freezer trick. leave it in there for a couple of hours and try the hard drive again. it depends on what exactly is wrong, but it might work for getting some data off.

Ballsack anyway. Most of the files are just downloaded videos. I really want to recover my MP3s, pictures and college documents.
If I were you I'd look around for data recovery places and give them a call.

I deal with this kinda thing fairly often - the freezer thing only works if it's intermittent. If there is a fault after dropping it it's practically guaranteed that the disk platters are trashed.. that's why you're hearing the spin/clunk noise.

i have the same problem with mine, except it wasn't dropped, it's just a piece of shit. western digital. computer won't recognise it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back