Ireland (10 Viewers)

Those racists are still protesting at the recycling centre in Ballyogan to protect the children from foreign rapists and murderers. Meanwhile, Irish men:

Those racists are still protesting at the recycling centre in Ballyogan to protect the children from foreign rapists and murderers. Meanwhile, Irish men:

Listen, I'm really not having a go here.
But there's no logic to this.

I know these protestors are a pain, but the answer to "immigrants cause crime" isn't "Well, so do Irish people"
All anyone wants to be reassured about is that the incoming population isn't a larger risk than the population we have.
Like if someone is worried about immigration increasing homelessness, the answer isn't that irish people are homeless too.

If you can reassure people that immigrants aren't or won't be an extra driver of violent crime, then you have most people won over. The loonies will always be the loonies out there at the dump. They are not listening to anything. We're supposed to be better than that.

We do know in Sweden there's a crime and murder wave directly attributable to immigrants and people can barely talk about it for what it is.
I am not saying this is happening in Ireland, but we have to be able to talk about it rationally.
I would generally guess we're doing better, but i really have no idea.

You will meet the vast majority of people in the middle.
They are cool with a workable immigration system that's fair to our citizens and those coming in true need. Very few people want an open door for everyone "sure it'll be grand" and very few people want closed doors "fuck off we're full"
Nothing is won at either end of the margins.

if Ireland is ''FULL'' why are people having kids? that ain't gonna stop happening and neither is people moving around the planet.
full on racists are not worth interacting with - they are a lost cause.

the malaise is really people not listening to facts. even when people are given facts they just ignore them.

compared to where capitalism is leading us things are not that bad yet. when the next banking crisis or climate disaster happens (e.g. a war about water) how will unreasonable people react then?

a lot of reasonable folks are apathetic and not doing anything to resist. this 'carry on regardless' mentality has meant we are heading for the 'we're already dead' stage for generations.

blaming vulnerable displaced people is only one symptom.

I never see leftwing men kick up about rape except in service to other leftwing causes, though. Curiously similar to how rightwing men only care about rape when it supports their personal politics.

I never see leftwing men kick up about rape except in service to other leftwing causes, though. Curiously similar to how rightwing men only care about rape when it supports their personal politics.
*Rape of women obviously, because we pretend rape doesn't happen to men 'cause then it wouldn't be funny

I know these protestors are a pain, but the answer to "immigrants cause crime" isn't "Well, so do Irish people"
All anyone wants to be reassured about is that the incoming population isn't a larger risk than the population we have.
Like if someone is worried about immigration increasing homelessness, the answer isn't that irish people are homeless too.

If you can reassure people that immigrants aren't or won't be an extra driver of violent crime, then you have most people won over. The loonies will always be the loonies out there at the dump. They are not listening to anything. We're supposed to be better than that.
Nobody is necessarily trying to win a debate on thumped, we're just blathering/ranting/expressing ourselves ... but I agree that if one was trying to sway public opinion on this then "Irish people (or men) are bad too" is not going to work

Nobody is necessarily trying to win a debate on thumped, we're just blathering/ranting/expressing ourselves ... but I agree that if one was trying to sway public opinion on this then "Irish people (or men) are bad too" is not going to work
it is men, specifically though. I think its a fair cop. If there are some pricks creating a narrative that there's a particularly high crime rate among our male immigrant community, then calling bullshit on that by pointing out that Irish men are worse, seems fair enough.

The narrative goes

* men are dangerous
* most immigrants (from certain places) are men
* therefore immigration (from those places) is dangerous

"But we already have danger from the men here" doesn't counter it. No matter how much danger you already have, more danger is always worse

The narrative goes

* men are dangerous
* most immigrants (from certain places) are men
* therefore immigration (from those places) is dangerous

"But we already have danger from the men here" doesn't counter it. No matter how much danger you already have, more danger is always worse

what would be a very helpful counter would be the actual data on what the rate of arrest/conviction of people from migrant backgrounds are, and how it compares to the rate for the rest of the population.

I'm sure that data exists, as it's been referred to by folks in govt.

very aware that the 'rest of population' is not a homogenous lump, theres a higher rate of convictions from certain socio-economic backgrounds etc.

what would be a very helpful counter would be the actual data on what the rate of arrest/conviction of people from migrant backgrounds are, and how it compares to the rate for the rest of the population
Wouldn't be a counter if the rates are higher though. Data might be available at https://data.cso.ie/ (can't check it myself rn)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back