Running? (2 Viewers)

Traveled out to NY cos I got into the NYC Half Marathon
30,000 runners
They block off the Manhattan Bridge and Times Square for the event, so it was a good experience
Pushed myself a little hard, but not so hard that I couldn't enjoy it
Got a qualifying time for the NYC marathon in 2025

Heck of a day

1710765752080.png

1710766154554.png

Attachments

• sean Times square 2.jpg
    sean Times square 2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
Ran a trail race this weekend that wasn't based on distance but time
You had 6 hours to do as many (just shy of 6k) loops in this hilly forest
It was about 3c and it rained the whole fucking time
I fell 3 times on the first 2 loops, my legs were covered in mud and blood
Took it down a notch after that
It could have been miserable but honestly some of the happiest running I've ever done
Just gamboling around this soggy forest without a goddamn care in the world, skipping over rocks and streams and singing away to myself.
It was great to get warm and dry afterwards, but goddamn it was a day
Got 7 loops done, about 40km

1711320987806.png

1711321020687.png
1711321033233.png

Ran a trail race this weekend that wasn't based on distance but time
You had 6 hours to do as many (just shy of 6k) loops in this hilly forest
It was about 3c and it rained the whole fucking time
I fell 3 times on the first 2 loops, my legs were covered in mud and blood
Took it down a notch after that
It could have been miserable but honestly some of the happiest running I've ever done
Just gamboling around this soggy forest without a goddamn care in the world, skipping over rocks and streams and singing away to myself.
It was great to get warm and dry afterwards, but goddamn it was a day
Got 7 loops done, about 40km

View attachment 18329

View attachment 18330
View attachment 18331
Did you say you weighed 17 stone not a million years ago?!

I once weighed nearly 17 stone (2005) but eating badly and being on medication for last 28 years which makes me hungry did that. Got my weight down to 12 stone twice (should weigh about 11 1/2 stone).
But both times it had to be my main goal every day - Something I got a buzz off to the detriment of everything else.

My formula for losing weight is
Eat lots of veg. + drinks lots of water + throwing in walking about 7 miles a day.
The walking doesn't make much difference.

Once shortly before I went on medication (1996) my weight went down to 10 1/2 stone. I had no motivation then and was spending all day in bed and not eating too much (not deliberately).
I could eat feck all back then and not feel hungry.

I once weighed nearly 17 stone (2005) but eating badly and being on medication for last 28 years which makes me hungry did that. Got my weight down to 12 stone twice (should weigh about 11 1/2 stone).
But both times it had to be my main goal every day - Something I got a buzz off to the detriment of everything else.

You pain of former lightweights.

You pain of former lightweights.
Yep - I could go two days without eating when I was young and I 'd have been OK. Ramadan woulda been no problem.
The worst thing about this is the amount of time I have to spend on this.
Also as I said on another thread a few days ago eating crap (in my case lots of oatmeal and beans and water) is very cheap and very quick.
Eat lots of veg is a big chore

EDIT:
For the record I am not into running and I never will be

My formula for losing weight is
Eat lots of veg. + drinks lots of water + throwing in walking about 7 miles a day.
The walking doesn't make much difference.

Once shortly before I went on medication (1996) my weight went down to 10 1/2 stone. I had no motivation then and was spending all day in bed and not eating too much (not deliberately).
I could eat feck all back then and not feel hungry.
18 stone about 4 years ago, not sure
I targeted 200lbs as a weight I would be happy at and that's what I weigh bang on today
It hasn't made me any happier necessarily - it's just something I don't worry about anymore
Very few of the things we think will make us happy ever do for any real length of time
You still have life to deal with
The journey has been kind of amazing though
Happiness does not lie with externalities, for me anyways

Walking is great for your cardio vascular health. Probably need to do a heck of a lot to drop weight though.

I targeted 200lbs as a weight I would be happy at and that's what I weigh bang on today

Are you very tall, because your pictures make you look very lean and people who are 14 stone 4 aren't what I'd call small in terms of the mass they're carrying.

I thought for years that I'd be thin (comparatively) if I got down to 15. I wasn't, so I kept going. The lowest I got to was about 13 stone 2 and that freaked me out a bit as I don't think I'm built for being 12 stone something. But I kept training just tried to concentrate on strength and a little bit of muscle gain rather than solely fat loss.

I haven't actually weighed myself in about 3 years, I'd imagine I'm somewhere in the 13-14 stone bracket today but the number doesn't really matter to me anymore, it was useful for targets; get down to 100 KG (my recorded peak was 135/297/21 stone 3), another 10 lbs thats 15 stone, another 10 lbs thats 200, another 4 that's 14 stone. I gauge myself by the mirror (still improving) and how my body feels (pretty good most of the time) and just have a general long term target of being in my 70's and being able to walk unaided and pain free with a straight back.

Walking is great for your cardio vascular health. Probably need to do a heck of a lot to drop weight though.

Watched a video over the weekend that in part talked about the importance of NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), basically the energy you expel throughout the day that isn't your specific exercise time, like all the movement you do throughout your day in the 16ish hours most people spend awake that isn't the 30-60 minutes that isn't specifically devoted to "exercise."

18 stone about 4 years ago, not sure
It hasn't made me any happier necessarily - it's just something I don't worry about anymore
Very few of the things we think will make us happy ever do for any real length of time
You still have life to deal with
The journey has been kind of amazing though
Happiness does not lie with externalities, for me anyways

Weigh 13 plus stone need to lose to two. If I lost a stone and stayed at that it would be a big success.
I have detailed the huge amounts of food I eat before.

Are you very tall, because your pictures make you look very lean and people who are 14 stone 4 aren't what I'd call small in terms of the mass they're carrying.

I thought for years that I'd be thin (comparatively) if I got down to 15. I wasn't, so I kept going. The lowest I got to was about 13 stone 2 and that freaked me out a bit as I don't think I'm built for being 12 stone something. But I kept training just tried to concentrate on strength and a little bit of muscle gain rather than solely fat loss.

I haven't actually weighed myself in about 3 years, I'd imagine I'm somewhere in the 13-14 stone bracket today but the number doesn't really matter to me anymore, it was useful for targets; get down to 100 KG (my recorded peak was 135/297/21 stone 3), another 10 lbs thats 15 stone, another 10 lbs thats 200, another 4 that's 14 stone. I gauge myself by the mirror (still improving) and how my body feels (pretty good most of the time) and just have a general long term target of being in my 70's and being able to walk unaided and pain free with a straight back.
Tallish
6'3" in old money
I have a gut
No one's putting me in a swimsuit calendar any time soon
I'm carrying some winter weight - just the cold and darkness keeping me indoors more than I'd likeI will/should drop down under 14 stone come April/May. Got some big races coming up.

I feel you on just gauging by eyeball. I have a notch on my belt that tells me where I am as much as a scale does.
The main reason I would like to be lighter - closer to 190lbs - is that it would make me a faster runner.
I look fine in photos, and I got a hugger.

Fuckin' A

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back