Minor complaints thread (40 Viewers)

given the average footfall at any one point throughout the day, not everyone needs to take a shit at the same time. There is at least 4 cubicles.
I'll get over there again some day and report back...

The times I was in Obama Plaza e.g. 11 am mid week in autumn, all toilets were being used.
If several buses arrive in space of 15 minutes or Kerry are playing in Croke Park... What happens then?
Pissing against a wall.

EDIT:
Not a unique toilet situation.
Only time I was at 3 Arena toilet queues were coming out the doors.

Obama Plaza is half way between Kerry and Dublin hence e.g.
2nd EDIT-
Women seem to get the worst of this malarkey.
It only occurred to me the other day that my local library had only one women's toilet when a woman was waiting outside to go in.
I haven't been in Limerick bus station for years but there was nearly always queues out the door of the women's toilets and the same women would be there when I was going out of the loo

Last edited:
I'll get over there again some day and report back...

The times I was in Obama Plaza e.g. 11 am mid week in autumn, all toilets were being used.
If several buses arrive in space of 15 minutes or Kerry are playing in Croke Park... What happens then?
Pissing against a wall.

Well if there's drainage, minimal splashback and you can wash your hands after, pissing against a wall is grand

If several busses arrive anywhere for a toilet break you're going to have a shortage issue

You can only hope the GAA bus gods have different toilet destinations.

Just did a bios update and it stopped with a black screen after a reboot and asked me about bitlocker and wiping fTPM and making sure I had recovery keys and “pick Y or N and sure who knows - your data might be gone forever lol”

Squeaky bum time, as they say.

I don't think the situation with cars in Dublin is sustainable. I've been in Dublin for about a month now, and I had to dig the car out to do people moving. It's unbelievably bad, on a Saturday, weekdays are heartbreaking. Dublin isn't designed for that kind of car load, and electric cars aren't helping.

I think the Brits might have got it right with the congestion charge. I don't think it's acceptable for people to tool around in cars in Dublin unless there's some extenuating reason. If you're carrying an OAP or a rake of children, ok, that's probably fair. I think maybe some kinda voucher system and an etag on your car. Something like you get one free trip within the boundary a week, and more if you can prove needs. But if you want to scoot around in the city, alone, every day, in any car at all, you should be paying a lot for the privilege.

And Dublin is effortless and wonderful to cycle around. The alternative is a pleasure, even if the weather's a bit shit. It's definition of pain stuff driving cars there. How people can do this daily blows my mind. It's worse than midtown Manhattan.

I don't think the situation with cars in Dublin is sustainable. I've been in Dublin for about a month now, and I had to dig the car out to do people moving. It's unbelievably bad, on a Saturday, weekdays are heartbreaking. Dublin isn't designed for that kind of car load, and electric cars aren't helping.

I think the Brits might have got it right with the congestion charge. I don't think it's acceptable for people to tool around in cars in Dublin unless there's some extenuating reason. If you're carrying an OAP or a rake of children, ok, that's probably fair. I think maybe some kinda voucher system and an etag on your car. Something like you get one free trip within the boundary a week, and more if you can prove needs. But if you want to scoot around in the city, alone, every day, in any car at all, you should be paying a lot for the privilege.

And Dublin is effortless and wonderful to cycle around. The alternative is a pleasure, even if the weather's a bit shit. It's definition of pain stuff driving cars there. How people can do this daily blows my mind. It's worse than midtown Manhattan.

Public transport would need to be improved drastically inside and around the entire M50 for that kind of thinkin

I live 25 minutes walk from the city centre, and I usually walk and avoid getting the bus because it often takes the same amount of time, or walking is actually quicker.

Public transport would need to be improved drastically inside and around the entire M50 for that kind of thinkin
Yeah?
Problem for me is I'm not sure that it can be improved enough in the current situation. I don't see a solution unless you limit private car usage and / or charge inside the M50 (or whatever).
It's carrot and stick stuff. You want to make the public transport better to entice people to use it, but I think there needs stick put about too, because I suspect at lot of people are taking the piss.

I live 25 minutes walk from the city centre, and I usually walk and avoid getting the bus because it often takes the same amount of time, or walking is actually quicker.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. Buses are around the speed of cars, and both are maybe slightly faster than walking pace around here?

Coming back to this place and looking at it, good jaysus. I'm assuming it's been gradually getting worse over the decades, and I know the standard Irish solution for things is to ignore them and hope it goes away, but Dublin feels like it's gone past some point of no return without measures being put in place.

There's no policing of the bus lanes so the bus speeds are completely unreliable. I live about a five minute walk from DCU (slightly further from the city) and recently got a bus which took 25 mins to reach O'Connell bridge at about 4pm on a Thursday - which was amazing - and then another 10 minutes at least to get to college green.

Nice to know things haven't changed much in Dub-a-lin town.
Been well over a decade since I was walking/cycling/sitting in a car. And I'm still reading about all the same nonsense.

Nice to know things haven't changed much in Dub-a-lin town.
Been well over a decade since I was walking/cycling/sitting in a car. And I'm still reading about all the same nonsense.
I don't mind cycling or walking. I find drifting around Dublin on a bike pretty pleasant, it's just that I can't haul rakes of kids on the bike.

There's no policing of the bus lanes so the bus speeds are completely unreliable. I live about a five minute walk from DCU (slightly further from the city) and recently got a bus which took 25 mins to reach O'Connell bridge at about 4pm on a Thursday - which was amazing - and then another 10 minutes at least to get to college green.

Yeah, there's no reliability / expectation of getting there on time consistently. And I think that's to do with private car traffic, along with the design of Dublin's roads.

edit: I guess my point is, I think we got this wrong. I think Ireland thought electric cars would be the answer with some kind of half arsed cycle lane infra, and for Dublin this isn't the answer. The answer is less cars in the city.

Last edited:
I hear quite a few people where I am complain about buses not showing up,or not having enough room for everyone waiting on them.

No one is getting out of the car if they have no alternative.

And that was the case where I lived 20+ years ago in Dublin. Great effort lads

recently they've had an issue where they can't hire bus drivers, not enough people want to be a bus driver in dublin. i suspect not being able to afford to live in dublin on bus driver money might be a factor.

Yeah, there's no reliability / expectation of getting there on time consistently. And I think that's to do with private car traffic, along with the design of Dublin's roads.

edit: I guess my point is, I think we got this wrong. I think Ireland thought electric cars would be the answer with some kind of half arsed cycle lane infra, and for Dublin this isn't the answer. The answer is less cars in the city.

Aye, that all sums it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back