Happy Restarts - copied from MySpace (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just dont under stand why drinking should be so important, i myself drink but its no big deal if i dont at a gig,

Who said about anyone calling the people with mohawks/Pistols t-shirts as dicks????
And most young people do tend to get shit faced...esp during a meet up/gig.
You can't change the world.......

i just called them wee dicks i didnt say anyone did

Exactly to the 1st point.....
and if he was referring to overseas bands obviously they're not well known enough or popular enough.....tisn't rocket science.
I will add though I watched GBH in The Temple bar in Dorset street once with a total audience of about 12 and this was only 7 or so years ago.. :D

I played with GBH at a gig in the Temple about 7 years ago and there were about 100-150 people at the gig I would say.

i just dont under stand why drinking should be so important, i myself drink but its no big deal if i dont at a gig,

Write about in your zine, maybe interview a few of these people your talking about and ask them the story. Would make for interesting reading I reckon.

what we need here is social centers,free gigs and all age gigs and for people to help each other...all of this will give you a cracker of a gig nomatter who's playin and a boost in the irish punk scene.

Not true, when Giro's was open in Belfast I would say there were less people going to gigs then than there are now. I remember numerous bands playing to crowds of 10 people, although there was the odd good gig.
Free gigs, maybe, I dunno, but how are you going to pay the band then?

If there was a social centre (or it could work with somewhere like the lower deck) it would be an idea (not saying good or bad :p) to have local band only gigs, where the bands would pay for nothing and a small door charge could be put into a fund to maybe cut a bit off the door tax for when touring bands come around... and maybe some other fund raising events for the fund? Obviously, you'd have to figure out some way of distributing said fund fairly.

another problem is that a lot of people are on the dole, and when there are 3 gigs on in a week costing a fiver each and you only get 80 quid every two weeks it is very easy to piss it all up a wall in a night, and scrounging money off your mates gets to be a pain in the arse sometimes. i know d.i.y. punk gigs are very reasonably priced but most of my mates could drink 80 quid in carry outs over a weekend.

laverys is another problem, the bouncers and bar staff hate punks and are complete dickheads for the most part, quite a lot of us are barred, and as for the ones that arent, why would you want to go soemwhere u r not wanted and none of your mates are allowed into so you have noone to talk to , pay for the priveledge and buy ridiculously overpriced beers to cry into? unfortunately since giros shut there is no more bringing a litre of cider to a gig when ur skint. i know the sound in the front page is shit and the beer is just as expensive but at least the people working there are not just as dicky, although the new bouncers try their best to be. also you can go over and cry and mourn for giros which is now "the garage" a sauna for homosexual business men to bum each other in

bands i really wanted to see recently that i have missed because of laverys door policy : magrudergrind, the mingers, staathat and cathode,. more also but i cant remember and they let me into neuclear crusty whinger fest because the bouncers who know me werent on.

i think promoters boycotting laverys would be a good idea

i like crust a lot, so do a lot of my friends but they prefer streetpunk, when a d.i.y. streetpunk/oi! band, or a similar band on a small punk label (which i still think is cool but no doubt lots of people will not) such as intensive care, stage bottles or los fastidios come everyone will go to it. its very well giving out to spikey punks for not supporting the crust scene (cos beleive me i wish more people went to these gigs) but i dont see certain people at many local band gigs or touring streetpunk band gigs,maybe these bands arent d.i.y. enough for them or maybe i am blinded from the hairspray in my eyes.

social centre. this is something i am very interested in. the grants that helpedd giros have dried up these days to pay for politicians 70,000 a year salary, the arts budget in northern ireland is fucking pitiful, so if people want to do this again in belfast it is going to be an even harder uphill struggle, i have heard lots of rumours about new centres, money for it etc. in the last few years but it has all come to nothing and i think its about time "we" organised, got together, and see what the craic is. there are a lot of problems to overcome but i reckon it ios doable to some extent if not to the glory of the warzone centre. a lockup somewhere with "on the d/l gigs" would be a good start no?

As far as I'm aware Barney, anyone barred from Lavery's was barred for a reason, and I don't even know of many people who are barred. In saying that I don't like using that venue very much, it definitely is quite strict, but the Pavilion is a different matter, I've never seen anyone get hassled in the Pavilion without reason, with the exception of Darren really, and that was sorted out.
Staathaat and Cathode was in the Pavilion so you would have got into that unless you're barred from there too? I did however have flyers at one point with the wrong venue on it so maybe you thought it was the bunker, but it was Pavilion on all the posters etc.
There's no point trying to boycott a venue because all it does is hurt yourself. At some point, some band will be looking to play a gig, there'll be some dance night booked in the Front Page, and you won't have any other venues to use. Anyway Lavery's + The Pavilion have always been helpful when I've been dealing with them, and I tend to stay out of anything happening at the front door. All I know as far as that goes is that I've never had any hassle from any of the bouncers in Lavery's or the Pavilion myself.

As for the lockup for gigs idea, it's nice in theory but how long do you think it would last before the cops shut it down for not being legal?

1) But ur missing the point, there are not enough Punks in Dublin for this to happen. Glue is also more expensive then the cheap lager from the offies too!

2) Dublin gigs and in particular The Lower Deck are well attended as Mackle pointed out people are more open minded down south.

3) Internet is for opinions and advertising gigs !ninjaaaa :p

1. How many people were at Paranoid Visions in the Lower Deck a couple of weeks back. Would that not be enough people "for this to happen"?

If there was a social centre (or it could work with somewhere like the lower deck) it would be an idea (not saying good or bad :p) to have local band only gigs, where the bands would pay for nothing and a small door charge could be put into a fund to maybe cut a bit off the door tax for when touring bands come around... and maybe some other fund raising events for the fund? Obviously, you'd have to figure out some way of distributing said fund fairly.

I think there's too many touring bands coming through right now for there to be time for this to happen, I reckon all you'd get is people might go to see their mates bands and then not go to see a touring band play cause they were out a couple of nights beforehand.

But touring band gigs (well all gigs) are cheap as chips. Why would ya need to subsidise them any more? Anyone who complains about any a gig for 6-8 euro is is a tight cunt imho.

its cool down in galway all the gigs are packed out well attendence lately as been low
but still a good crowd and the main reason for that is they are free gigs with exception for the odd one and even at that there is a really good crowd

its cool down in galway all the gigs are packed out well attendence lately as been low
but still a good crowd and the main reason for that is they are free gigs with exception for the odd one and even at that there is a really good crowd

Doesn't the venue pay the bands in Galway? That's the ideal situation but you're just not gonna get that in most places.

I'm interested in trying to get the "Rancid/Pistols Mohawks" punks into the scene in Dublin cos I'd say it'd be pretty hard to find out about DIY gigs, yeah sure there's usually a few flyers around town but not enough, and who's gonna go see a band they've never heard of. I found out about the first gig I went to from Boards fucking .ie. I think going around Temple Bar/Central Bank handing out flyers to gigs would be a good idea, show these kids they can see good live music and not be raped by BLAST.

selling zines/compilations at those gigs could be another idea then? Donate the profits to zee fund.

ehhhh.... I reckon that would end up in a one zine/cd being passed around betweem one person and their 12 mates. hrmmm.

Interesting idea though in fairness.

I'm interested in trying to get the "Rancid/Pistols Mohawks" punks into the scene in Dublin cos I'd say it'd be pretty hard to find out about DIY gigs, yeah sure there's usually a few flyers around town but not enough, and who's gonna go see a band they've never heard of. I found out about the first gig I went to from Boards fucking .ie. I think going around Temple Bar/Central Bank handing out flyers to gigs would be a good idea, show these kids they can see good live music and not be raped by BLAST.

i agree with you there chris, it's hard to get into the scene when it's not promoted as well as it could be, i only happened to stumble across this forum by accident, but at the same time do they have the brains to be at most gigs diy gigs that are put on by people here ? have you seen the way most of em act around town etc. o you want that croppin up at gigs, they do get ripped of by the likes of blast €15 into one of those gigs in drogheda if i recall seein a poster awhile back for one, but at the same time fuck them its their own faults for putting up with the prices and not complaining or boycotting them.

the leftover crack gig last year is a prime example, the crowd was big, but full of fucking idiots, walking zombies most of em, all walk, talk n look the same, i dont think id like that at the likes of a gig in bohs or lower deck.

Well it's not up to anyone to dictate who can or can't come to gigs, as long as they pay in a don't act the bollix it's they're own stupid fault if they don't wnjoy themselves, I just think that alot of those kids would really enjoy a good wild DIY gig.

Bohs and The 'Deck are two deadly venues, no bouncers etc. The only thing is Bohs is pretty small, and the only thing I don't like about the Lower Deck is how there's not much space in front of the stage (and it's on the southside !ninjaaaa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back