Happy Restarts - copied from MySpace (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to get into an argument really about this but what I was trying to say was that I just find it annoying that more people dont support other DIY bands coming to Belfast much. So many gigs have about 10 people at them when its really amazing bands and its just depressing. I know the Restarts are very popular but also the people at this gig would enjoy so many of the bands that come through Belfast as well but dont bother to go cause they aren't totally well known. I feel like bands are going to stop coming to Belfast at some point because of this kind of complacency etc. And I also feel sorry for promoters who have to deal with serious lack of numbers

well just out of interest again, does anyone have any ideas or opinions on how the scene both north and south could be improved ? or ways of getting people to go to gigs ?

The bands are another one who suffer aswell as the promoters its not to nice play to just a handful of people I was chatting to the drummer of either cathode or staathaat (\cant remember which one he was on) but he didnt seem to impressed with the size of the crowd in Belfast alright restarts were on the friday but it seemed to leave him a bit disappointed. may I say really nice guy aswell.

well just out of interest again, does anyone have any ideas or opinions on how the scene both north and south could be improved ? or ways of getting people to go to gigs ?

A coach that went around picking people up.

With a bar on board and a portokabin

Carlsberg don't do coach services but if they did they would be the best coach services in the world.

The bands are another one who suffer aswell as the promoters its not to nice play to just a handful of people I was chatting to the drummer of either cathode or staathaat (cant remember which one he was on) but he didnt seem to impressed with the size of the crowd in Belfast alright restarts were on the friday but it seemed to leave him a bit disappointed. may I say really nice guy aswell.

Yeh there is nothing worse than playing to fuck all people really. So disheartening and sometimes made me wonder "why bother?". It was the Staathaat/Cathode gig in Belfast that made me think about this whole thing of gig attendance in Belfast more. To see bands as amazing as that play to fuck all people when they are playing to loads in Dublin the night before just sickens me.

I don't think there is any way you can just "fix" this problem though. It's more that people need to decide to be more supportive!

Meself and Roy plastered posters all over Fibbers last Thursday night and they were attracting quite a bit of attention to themselves. I reckon the thing to do is to try attracting outsider, "alternative" people. Places like Eamon Dorans, Whelans, Doyles, Bruxelles, Fibbers.... Just go in and jam up a fuckin poster. Boohoo if they take it down. For the time it's up at least a few people will have seen it that don't read or know of eirecore..... just a thought.

It was the Staathaat/Cathode gig in Belfast that made me think about this whole thing of gig attendance in Belfast more. To see bands as amazing as that play to fuck all people when they are playing to loads in Dublin the night before just sickens me.
Are they Punk bands though? It's alright saying that they're DIY but its a diff type of music......
Spiky top Belfast Punks are hardly gonna be mad into Cathode as we all know Belfast is far more into Punk then down south here....so maybe why the diff crowd attendances?

I know that there are more "punx" in Belfast than Dublin but I know from any experience of gigs in Dublin that the type of people that go to gigs there are a very mixed bag and I just can't see why that doesn't happen up here.

cos punk gigs these days are more like hippy/metaler/experimental-artboy conventions , with maybe one ore two "punk related" bands. especially in dublin

what we need here is social centers,free gigs and all age gigs and for people to help each other...all of this will give you a cracker of a gig nomatter who's playin and a boost in the irish punk scene.

aye places where you could put on free gigs would be great if they could be got but i doubt they can, and are bands willing to play for free these days ? i know when we i was in delinkwints we never asked for money regardless of if when had to pay for busses or taxi's or petrol, we never once asked for money when i played with em, we were just happy to play gigs, must see if i can resurect delinkwints again.....

Are they Punk bands though? It's alright saying that they're DIY but its a diff type of music......
Spiky top Belfast Punks are hardly gonna be mad into Cathode as we all know Belfast is far more into Punk then down south here....so maybe why the diff crowd attendances?

Janer I go to all the gigs I can in both Sligo and Galway regardless of the what music it is whether it be bands like Cathode who arent my favourite band inm the world to be honest to even some country hillbilly shit! the point is as long as these bands are playing DIY gigs I shall support them and the promoters the best I can!

cos punk gigs these days are more like hippy/metaler/experimental-artboy conventions , with maybe one ore two "punk related" bands. especially in dublin
Exactly, the only reason why I go to non Punk gigs when I get the chance is for the Booze/social thing.....

Janer I go to all the gigs I can in both Sligo and Galway regardless of the what music it is whether it be bands like Cathode who arent my favourite band inm the world to be honest to even some country hillbilly shit! the point is as long as these bands are playing DIY gigs I shall support them and the promoters the best I can!
Ur from Sligo though. :p
While ur enthusiasm is there the Spikytops from Belfast obviously don't share it and hence the original point Mackle was makin'

another problem is that a lot of people are on the dole, and when there are 3 gigs on in a week costing a fiver each and you only get 80 quid every two weeks it is very easy to piss it all up a wall in a night, and scrounging money off your mates gets to be a pain in the arse sometimes. i know d.i.y. punk gigs are very reasonably priced but most of my mates could drink 80 quid in carry outs over a weekend.

laverys is another problem, the bouncers and bar staff hate punks and are complete dickheads for the most part, quite a lot of us are barred, and as for the ones that arent, why would you want to go soemwhere u r not wanted and none of your mates are allowed into so you have noone to talk to , pay for the priveledge and buy ridiculously overpriced beers to cry into? unfortunately since giros shut there is no more bringing a litre of cider to a gig when ur skint. i know the sound in the front page is shit and the beer is just as expensive but at least the people working there are not just as dicky, although the new bouncers try their best to be. also you can go over and cry and mourn for giros which is now "the garage" a sauna for homosexual business men to bum each other in

bands i really wanted to see recently that i have missed because of laverys door policy : magrudergrind, the mingers, staathat and cathode,. more also but i cant remember and they let me into neuclear crusty whinger fest because the bouncers who know me werent on.

i think promoters boycotting laverys would be a good idea

i like crust a lot, so do a lot of my friends but they prefer streetpunk, when a d.i.y. streetpunk/oi! band, or a similar band on a small punk label (which i still think is cool but no doubt lots of people will not) such as intensive care, stage bottles or los fastidios come everyone will go to it. its very well giving out to spikey punks for not supporting the crust scene (cos beleive me i wish more people went to these gigs) but i dont see certain people at many local band gigs or touring streetpunk band gigs,maybe these bands arent d.i.y. enough for them or maybe i am blinded from the hairspray in my eyes.

social centre. this is something i am very interested in. the grants that helpedd giros have dried up these days to pay for politicians 70,000 a year salary, the arts budget in northern ireland is fucking pitiful, so if people want to do this again in belfast it is going to be an even harder uphill struggle, i have heard lots of rumours about new centres, money for it etc. in the last few years but it has all come to nothing and i think its about time "we" organised, got together, and see what the craic is. there are a lot of problems to overcome but i reckon it ios doable to some extent if not to the glory of the warzone centre. a lockup somewhere with "on the d/l gigs" would be a good start no?

Good point about the affordability of the scene up there Barney, the dole is far shittier than down here and I shoulda pointed out the reason why I go to some non Punk gigs such as Crusty/Punk Ska etc is because I can afford too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back