FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD (1 Viewer)

i have a weird feeling lemon juice would go nice with cabbage and cherry tomatoes.

i dont know why.

i had olive oil and apple cider vinegar with mine, i think maybe apple and cabbage makes sense? maybe because of the cabbage+bacon and pork+apple connection.. so maybe chopped apple would be nice in that salad too.

I'm on a homemade soup buzz at the moment.

I made a Thai style chicken soup this evening.
It's great for the cold winter evenings.

Plus, 1kg of chicken oyster thighs is less than €3 & there's loads of meat on them.
Cook them on the bone in the soup.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm.

Does anyone have tasty recipes that contain any or all of the following and also don't have other weird ingredients that I have to go into town and buy :

Mung beans
Millet
Cannelini beans

kthx :)

Does anyone have tasty recipes that contain any or all of the following and also don't have other weird ingredients that I have to go into town and buy :

Mung beans
Millet
Cannelini beans

Do you have a can of tomatoes?
An onion?
Some garlic?

You could make a really tasty tomato sauce (cook your onion really slowly in a dash of oil, vinegar/dash o red wine and sugar, then add garlic and herbs and salt and pepper and shit, then add your can of tomatoes and a cup of stock, bailt it up and whizz it in a blender), throw your beans in that and have it with millet (millet goes well instead of rice).

You could throw some nice spices in at the start instead of the red wine and herbs and make it an Indian/North African buzz depending on what you have in your lorrrder.

Mung beans
Millet
Cannelini beans

An onion?
Some garlic?

You could make a really tasty tomato sauce (cook your onion really slowly in a dash of oil, vinegar/dash o red wine and sugar, then add garlic and herbs and salt and pepper and shit, then add your can of tomatoes and a cup of stock, bailt it up and whizz it in a blender), throw your beans in that and have it with millet (millet goes well instead of rice).

You could throw some nice spices in at the start instead of the red wine and herbs and make it an Indian/North African buzz depending on what you have in your lorrrder.

Bean beaten too it but I'd make a chilli, if you have said can of tomatoes and stuff. You'll need chilli powder/chillies/flakes too. We had millet with chilli(with cannellini beans) a lot in the gaff in Wales. :)

Edit: haha the bean/been pun is complete coincidence

Green cabbage goes great with loads-a-butter, a bit of cream and a shite load of black pepper.
Accompanied with mustard mash and a nicely honey/cider basted fillet of bacon thats been tenderly poked with a few cloves.

Maple syrup goes great with all pork products and by-products, fyi.

Salad related gems:

- instead of going to the hassle of making dressing, sprinkling a really good vinegar and oil over the salad will do equally well. Don Carolos olive oil infused with basil is something else. It tastes aniseedy or some shit, but there's only basil and oil in it, and it goes miraculously with a good quality sweet balsamic I had lying around. Also, raw olive oil is so good for you.

Swoon. Food.

Nice.Olive oil,basil,finely chopped garlic and balsamic vinegar is probably my favourite dressing

yeah, i guess maybe if u did half and half, toasted seeds/raw seeds, u get the nice taste and the good oils, that hadn't occurred to me until just now.

nothing much to say about red cabbage salad, only that i was trying to eat green cabbage and it kept ruining everything i put it in. then today i had some shredded red cabbage with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, baby spinach and baby potatoes and it was nice.
anyone know anything to do with green cabbage thats not gross? like something that will mask the taste but not overcook it?

1. wash and shred cabbage. if you are particularly lazy, m & s do bags of ready-shredded cabbage greens. sometimes i am that lazy. sometimes.
2. fry up some caraway seeds in olive oil in a saute pan.
3. dump cabbage into pan and stir around to distribute oil/seeds. maybe add a teeny teeny bit of water/stock if there's not enough water clinging to the cabbage from washing it. salt and pepper.
4. put lid on and steam until the cabbage is bright green and tender.

i did this with roast venison (non-meaty roast would also work) and potatoes and gravy, and it is particularly fine with gravy. then again, most things are...

i also have a vague memory of a dish i used to cook (learned from friend who'd done erasmus in denmark) in college that involved cabbage with apple and frankfurters (again, i suspect non-meaty ones would also work, if indeed there is much meat in "real" frankfurters).

possibly inspired by this thread, i've ended up making a big dressed green salad every day this week - served french-style after a main course, dump leaves into plate and use them to mop up the remaining sauce/gravy/whatever.

1. wash and shred cabbage. if you are particularly lazy, m & s do bags of ready-shredded cabbage greens. sometimes i am that lazy. sometimes.
2. fry up some caraway seeds in olive oil in a saute pan.
3. dump cabbage into pan and stir around to distribute oil/seeds. maybe add a teeny teeny bit of water/stock if there's not enough water clinging to the cabbage from washing it. salt and pepper.
4. put lid on and steam until the cabbage is bright green and tender.

i did this with roast venison (non-meaty roast would also work) and potatoes and gravy, and it is particularly fine with gravy. then again, most things are...

i also have a vague memory of a dish i used to cook (learned from friend who'd done erasmus in denmark) in college that involved cabbage with apple and frankfurters (again, i suspect non-meaty ones would also work, if indeed there is much meat in "real" frankfurters).

possibly inspired by this thread, i've ended up making a big dressed green salad every day this week - served french-style after a main course, dump leaves into plate and use them to mop up the remaining sauce/gravy/whatever.

thanks for that, i'll try it out since i have some cabbage thats going to go to waste unless i think of something. trying to stay away from dairy so this sounds alright.

I dunno if you've tried it but cabbage is also nice stir fried if you get the timing right (too hard- gack, overdone-whiff and gack). Lots of sesame seeds, almonds and a dash of vegan cream and some seasoning. Slurpy.

An onion?
Some garlic?

I just made a shit load of food .|..|

Many millet burgers

A big pot of cannellini bean casserole

Leek and butter bean pie.

I made loads so I can freeze some and have ten dinners :D

so i tried out a mixture of minka's cabbage and caraway and buzzo's stir fry idea (that is: toasted sesame and caraway seeds, then some tofu i had in the freezer that had been marinaded in soy sauce, some sweet potato, loads of cabbage and some broccoli)
and it was awesome, thanks guys!

Oh yum! Indian cooking is such a joy. A random, gambly joy for me, but a joy all the same.

Diddles- kudos on the millet burgers! How'd you make em?

God. Food is deadly isn't it? I love the idea of loads of people in a city all making lovely dinners. I'd love to knock into everyone and eat some, or just watch them cook.

This evening I had okra fried in onions, chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon juice, with a big fat green salad with lots of fried tofu on the side.
I really wanted to follow it with bread and jam. Old skool style, white bread not toasted,with jam. Only I forgot and put the bread in the toaster by accident. Maybe tomorrow...

Just millet and carrots boiled up for half an hour. Then added some steamed broccoli. They'll probably be a bit bland, but sure that's what ketchup is for.

The leek and bean pie was an incredible success. Cooked diced carrots on a low heat in some margarine for 10mins, then added chopped leeks and mushrooms for another 10 mins. Added a tin of tomatoes, some veg stock and the cooked butter beans. Put in a pie dish and covered with shortcrust pastry. Dishlicious!

I'll have a go at your sauce suggestion next week. :)

Oh yum! Indian cooking is such a joy. A random, gambly joy for me, but a joy all the same.

God. Food is deadly isn't it? I love the idea of loads of people in a city all making lovely dinners. I'd love to knock into everyone and eat some, or just watch them cook.

This evening I had okra fried in onions, chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon juice, with a big fat green salad with lots of fried tofu on the side.
I really wanted to follow it with bread and jam. Old skool style, white bread not toasted,with jam. Only I forgot and put the bread in the toaster by accident. Maybe tomorrow...

that all sounds lovely apart from the okra. i can't get past the texture. bit like you and cooked carrots, perhaps.

i have a bulghur burger recipe that my former flatmates used to make all the time - i remember it looked really nice but haven't tried it yet. perhaps i too will make it "random grain from the cupboard burger january"....

oh, talking of random grains, if you have pearl or pot barley knocking around, you can make it into a sort of risotto (i think it's technically called an orzotto) by cooking it in stock and it's really good, esp with roasted butternut squash and mushrooms.

Good to know that about pearl barley... it's s'posed to be very good for you. I fuckin love Okra. I LOVE it like. The seeds are like a new surprise amazing food that comes out of the other food!

Tonight I made a vegetable stir fry with orange and ginger sauce (served with brown and wild rice). It was reaaaallly good. Not too sweet, and spicey enough for me. I don't really know how it all happened, because I'm not a fruit for dinner person, but it worked!

I put orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, fresh ginger/garlic/chilli, sugar/salt/pepper in a pot and cooked it up for a while, then I added soya milk (it was too firey) and a little corn starch to thicken it.

I used some meaty veg for it- aubergines & oyster mushrooms (oyster mushrooms are top of the food list for 2008. Heavenly food.), and some bright crunchy stuff too- broccolli, red onion,red peppers and sugar snaps, and some chickpeas. All of these I cooked just a little and threw the sauce in on top of for five minutes so everything was still a little crunchy, but manged to absorb some of the flavour.

Dreughle.

we did thai veg curry - made paste in the food processor (spring onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, cardamom, cumin, coriander seed, coriander leaf, bit of oil), cooked chunks of aubergine and mushroom on a hot ridged grill pan til they had nice grill-marks on them, fried up the paste, added a few chopped tomatoes and cooked until mushy, added the grilled veg and a half can of coconut milk, simmered for a bit and then put in more chopped coriander.

nyom nyom and indeed nyom.

we did thai veg curry - made paste in the food processor (spring onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, cardamom, cumin, coriander seed, coriander leaf, bit of oil), cooked chunks of aubergine and mushroom on a hot ridged grill pan til they had nice grill-marks on them, fried up the paste, added a few chopped tomatoes and cooked until mushy, added the grilled veg and a half can of coconut milk, simmered for a bit and then put in more chopped coriander.

nyom nyom and indeed nyom.

can i live in your house?

do you ever use cocnut cream? the hard blocks that you add hot water to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back