(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (7 Viewers)

RE: http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=52238
(Posts 7-19)

Let’s say:
If I buy a painting for €10000 can I then go into a bookies and bet €15 that the deal will not go through as planned and that I’ll get shafted. (Let’s assume that I get odds of 1000:1 on that, seeing as it’s a reputable gallery and they’ve signed guarantee documents and contracts)

My thinking is that I will effectively insure myself against the possibility of this not working out.

Is this possible? Do people do this? In financial theory, what am I not thinking of here?

Assuming I had an SSIA and I didn't know what to do with it.

Let's say the book gives odds of 100:1, I could bet €150. Still a good deal (considering time value o' money dawg)

Assuming I had an SSIA and I didn't know what to do with it.

Let's say the book gives odds of 100:1, I could bet €150. Still a good deal (considering time value o' money dawg)

I think this may well be the greatest idea I have ever had....
The question now is, do I have the cajones to see it through?

The answer, of course, is no.

Nlgbbbbbbbbbbblth, I'm thinkin of grabbin a substantial loan from my bank in order to finance my work for the next 12 months. Do i approach them with a business plan, or just a breakdown my expenses?

Hit me.

Nlgbbbbbbbbbbblth, I'm thinkin of grabbin a substantial loan from my bank in order to finance my work for the next 12 months. Do i approach them with a business plan, or just a breakdown my expenses?

Hit me.

No harm having a business plan of sorts. It shows that you've thought things through.

A breakdown of costings / expenses is necessary so that they can see what the loan is for.

Presume it'll be repaid from your ongoing income?
Cash flow projections showing how you anticipate repaying it would be needed. Keep 'em realistic.

herro nigglybits,

quick question: do HSBC operate in Ireland?

I bank with them here in HK and it would be so much easier for me to open an account with them in Ireland as opposed to AIB again I think.

Checked their website and it seems they have an office in Dublin but I'm not sure what the situ is with atm's, branches, etc. any ideas? cant soeak to a real person here - keep getting automated voices.

ta.

If i had say five grand to put into some sort of high interest account for say five months, what kind of return could i expect? And would i have to withdraw it in person or could i arrange at the beginning to have the whole lot paid into my current account on day x?

is it normal for your branch to charge commission on foreign exchange?
i was lodging an american cheque (check) into my account.
im with aib.

If i had say five grand to put into some sort of high interest account for say five months, what kind of return could i expect? And would i have to withdraw it in person or could i arrange at the beginning to have the whole lot paid into my current account on day x?

around 4.25%, maybe 4.5%
You should be able to give them a written instruction in advance to transfer the money back to your current account on day x.

just got a new laser/maestro debit card with ulster bank. doesn't seem that i'm able to do anything on the internet with it. ...is there?

this came up before.
The new cards laser / maestro have 16 digits - credit card style.
The old ones had 19 digits.

I think the problem could lie with the retailer's merchant card system. I have a feeling that some machines need to be upgraded to accept the 16 digit version.

Online - I've used it on tickets.ie ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back