Babies and planes... (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
Sorting out our first holiday overseas (the lovely Brighton) and am wondering what to expect for the cub (who'll be nine months at the time of the trip). We're flying with Ryan Air. What's the story with kiddeens and planes. Do we get to skip the queue? Might there be a spare seat left beside us for her to sit on or will she be in our lap for the whole trip?

Do babies get freaked out by the ear popping thing?
Do we charged extra for bringing the pushchair as luggage?

ps. did billy and jo have their cub?? I dont have time to search through posts.
xx

Sorting out our first holiday overseas (the lovely Brighton) and am wondering what to expect for the cub (who'll be nine months at the time of the trip). We're flying with Ryan Air. What's the story with kiddeens and planes. Do we get to skip the queue? Might there be a spare seat left beside us for her to sit on or will she be in our lap for the whole trip?

xx

Soother or bottle on takeoff and landing.

if yr booking on line with Ryan Air you can get (or automatically get) Priority Boarding, which means on check in you get a big yellow card, so all the other mugs que and que and then when the gate opens you rock right thru and march on board big yellow card raised proudly above your head while the huddled rabble of budget minded travellers stare daggers at you

Recommend bottle for landing and take-off.

We got to skip the queue going to the US last year. Security queues were a joke though and we got let through more so for the fact that our flight was about to depart as opposed to the babe in arms.

We flew with AA to Texas last October.
Requested travel cot. Promised but didn't materialise.

Assumed that person checking us in at Dublin would put a man, a woman and their six month old baby sitting together. She didn't - instead putting us at opposite ends of the plane. Necessitating a swap with kindly passengers.

We had no spare seat going over. So put down the food trays, put a blanket on them and let him sleep on that. He got around two hours kip for an eight hour flight. We then had a five hour stayover in Chick-a-goo before our connecting flight to Austin. Not fun.

We carried the McLaren buggy in the hold. Think it was free.

Coming back they put us in two seats with an empty one beside it which made things easier.

It's far easier to fly with a 6 - 9 month old than a toddler who is starting to walk and explore things.

xx

You'll have to get that Priority Booking thing Pantrone 747 mentioned.
Ryanair don't give automatic priority to passengers with kids anymore (as far as I know).

We haven't had our cub yet. Although I'm posting at this time in the morning because we've had some rumblings. Ahem.
She's due next Thursday.

funny how people recommend bottle or soother but not boob

the younger the better, really

some airlines will give you a moses basket thingy, but 9 months is most likely too old for that

Ryanair don't give automatic priority to passengers with kids anymore (as far as I know).

now that I think about it there people with kids queing when they called priority boarding, I remember rubbing my big yellow priorty boarding card in their face

snakybus booked that praticular ticket, so he should know

This is true. Ryanair will give you NO special treatment at all when it comes to queueing unless you get priority boarding. Having said that if you just go to the front of the queue and smile at the people there they will probably let you in ahead of them (unless they are complete pricks).

If you can get onto the plane first that way, and it's not full, then you may well end up with an extra seat (no-one wants to sit beside a couple with a baby).

The buggy thing is no problem. You can just wheel it up to the plane and one of the handlers will put it in the hold for you.

Bring lot's of stuff for the baby e.g. little toys, books, whatever to amuse him/her. Pull a new one out of the bag when he/she starts getting bored/irritated.

6-9 months is almost the perfect age for flying. It'll be grand.

funny how people recommend bottle or soother but not boob

I was thinking that myself. My sister and my sister-in-law both use the boob on take off and landing with their sprogs and say it works like a charm.

Bottle would probably be better than soother though... it's something to do with actually swallowing helping to keep the pressure normalised.

cool, thanks everyone. that's really handy to know about priority booking and storing the buggy in the hold. only just got ourselves one of those mcclaren ones the last day. makes a lovely change from the monster truck of a Graco one!! Really looking forward to it now...

cool, thanks everyone. that's really handy to know about priority booking and storing the buggy in the hold. only just got ourselves one of those mcclaren ones the last day. makes a lovely change from the monster truck of a Graco one!! Really looking forward to it now...

you can go right up to the door of the plane with the McClaren. Very handy.

9 months is perfect. Cub (I love that) will give out for a bit and grumpy people will give out but then baby will fall asleep. They put us in 4 different seats once, we asked the staff to help us move about so we were together, might as well have been asking them for their month's wages. It took other passangers who overheard to offer.

We've a 6hr flight with a 5 and a 2 yr old in a few weeks. Not looking forward to it. I hate the travelling part of travelling.

don't know about ryanair but aer lingus were pretty cool. we've travelled loads with our kids (8, 5 and 2). last time we flew we were in different seats but people moved (and staff assisted us) to allow us to be together. chances are you won't get a spare seat so it's lap all the way - only 50 mins though to gatwick.

Perfect age for flying and depending on your current feeding preference boob or bottle works best. try and time it with a sleep and you'll be fine.
we could bring buggy right up to the plane and then collect it with our luggage. aer lingus didn't charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back