ladies - pill without period, yes or no? (2 Viewers)

just give up sex and all your problems are solved!

alien 1: "look dude, those humans have given up having sex."
alien 2: "shit! look what happened to the earth!"

180px-Exploding_planet.jpg

This is nothing new, the injectable contraception, depo provera, also does away with periods. Seeing how when you're on a normal pill you don't get a real period anyway (cos you don't ovulate), I don't see the problem. The 'break' was invented because the manufacturers thought women would like a period. WTF? Well it's a good way of telling if you're pregnant... When I was on Depo I asked the doctor 'How will I know if I'm pregnant?'. He said 'You'll have a bump'. :rolleyes:

I'm on the Mirena coil and that does away with periods too, it's brilliant. I would steer clear of most hormonal contraception - for me and an awful lot of women I know, it's lead to weight-gain, depression and lack of mojo.

This is nothing new, the injectable contraception, depo provera, also does away with periods. Seeing how when you're on a normal pill you don't get a real period anyway (cos you don't ovulate), I don't see the problem. The 'break' was invented because the manufacturers thought women would like a period. WTF? Well it's a good way of telling if you're pregnant... When I was on Depo I asked the doctor 'How will I know if I'm pregnant?'. He said 'You'll have a bump'. :rolleyes:

I'm on the Mirena coil and that does away with periods too, it's brilliant. I would steer clear of most hormonal contraception - for me and an awful lot of women I know, it's lead to weight-gain, depression and lack of mojo.

ah i didnt know that. :eek:

so i guess this whole thing is nothing new. you're right though about how to know if you're pregnant, suddenly "having a bump" is:eek:

ah i didnt know that. :eek:

so i guess this whole thing is nothing new. you're right though about how to know if you're pregnant, suddenly "having a bump" is:eek:

The coils are also hormonal, but because they aren't taken orally less of the hormone is excreted.

It would be pretty horrific to suddenly find out that you were 3 or 4 months pregnant.

Other interesting Pill fact - it was invented by a devout Italian Catholic who was convinced the Church would see it as 'natural contraception' seeing how it was made from a naturally occuring horomone. He was completely devestated when they didn't!

The coils are also hormonal, but because they aren't taken orally less of the hormone is excreted.

It would be pretty horrific to suddenly find out that you were 3 or 4 months pregnant.

The Mirena coil does have a low-dose of progesterone, so if you're veeeery sensitive to the hormone it's not a good idea to have one. However it's an incredibly low does and localised to one area (kinda) so it tends not to have the same side effects.

The best thing about the coil, apart from not having to think about it for 5 years at a time, is that you don't have to shell out a load of cash for the doctors and pill prescriptions every few months.

Yeah, no pill for me, thanks. And Catwoman already pointed out that the period you get on the pill isn't a real period.

I don't think I'd feel right not getting one. There's something really cathartic about them, though like most women, I've got a love/hate relationship with it. Like, the other morning, waking up in so much pain that I could barely croak out a, "Uhhhggghhhh, painkillers". I don't get 'em that bad, though, and since we switch between ovaries, only one of me bags gives me cramps, so I only get bad cramps every two months.

The thing is, if your periods are relatively normal, the thought of going without them seems creepy. But there's an argument in favour of these pills for women with things like endometriosis, or other conditions that make periods so painful that sufferers are bedridden for days, or even a whole week out of the month. I don't like the idea of hormonal birth control, and I can't take 'em anyway, but still, there are lots of women out there who actually need the pill in order to function.

I was told in the US that I shouldn't go on the pill because one of the side effects for someone with my family medical history is, uh, sudden death, which, as far as I know, is usually a permanent condition. A doctor hear told me that was horseshit and that I shouldn't listen to American doctors and should just take the pill. I was all, um, are you really willing to risk my life just because you have some kind of spite for the feminist health centre where I got real and me-centred information on birth control options? Because that's not cool. Then the doctor accused me of 'telling tales' because my uncle died of a blood clot and my cousin almost died in childbirth from the same family thing we all have. So I wasn't totally confident in her advice. It just made me all the more resolute about not taking the pill. If we know so little about it that people's interpretations can vary from 'you'll be fine' to 'you could die', I'm not sure....

The thing is, if your periods are relatively normal, the thought of going without them seems creepy. .

Why creepy? Appendices are normal too, as is armpit hair but I can do without either!

Here, wasn't there an issue in the States with woman tri-cycling the pill to do away with periods? The insurance companies refused to pay for it. I was reading some misguided journo going on about this new pill saying the FDA wouldn't licence it cos it was doing away with periods. She'd missed the point that it was pretty much the same as every other pill but with out the break, and of course Depo had already been licenced!

Periods hurt and they interfere with my sex life. They can fuck off as far as I'm concerned!

can i ask how you're finding it? i was interested and asked some questions, and the doctor (not my gp) said it wasn't generally advised unless you've given birth, and also, there's a risk of abdominal perforation.

i am tempted still, although one of the few people i know with the coil was quite violently pukily ill for a day or two after getting it, which isn't selling it.

p.s. to thread: there's plenty of people on the pill for reasons that aren't pregnancy-related. (or maybe you were taking the piss.) i could cope with the freakiness of not having periods if it meant not losing at least a day a month to being incapacitated (and depo isn't an option because of migraines).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back