Home improvement (3 Viewers)

Because I am middle-aged and bourgeoise I have one of those storage things for my unsightly wheelie bins. I found this morning that the hydraulic pistons are not working and that the lid is surprisingly really heavy. Is it likely that both would fail at once? Can I fix them or is it time to replace them?

I am in the exact same position. But when looking into how to get a replacement, I was told that the company who made mine (keter) is Israeli so I abandoned getting a replacement.

Because I am middle-aged and bourgeoise I have one of those storage things for my unsightly wheelie bins. I found this morning that the hydraulic pistons are not working and that the lid is surprisingly really heavy. Is it likely that both would fail at once? Can I fix them or is it time to replace them?

It looks like a two bolt job if all the measurements, and the bolt hole diameter are ok?

It looks like a two bolt job if all the measurements, and the bolt hole diameter are ok?
yes, seems straightforward. I was wondering if they could be fixed and thought it strange that both would go at once but I might as well just replace them

in my defence, I initially bought it to use as a dog kennel
Your dags are as tall as bins?

Interesting autocorrect on the word "dogs" there. I'm leaving it in.

Out of interest, did you find out if you could refill/fix the lifters? I've been told you can refill the gas in them, but then the gas might be in the shop next to the stripey paint.

Out of interest, did you find out if you could refill/fix the lifters? I've been told you can refill the gas in them, but then the gas might be in the shop next to the stripey paint.
ha. I read that it's way more hassle than it's worth, and costs too much to get them refilled

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yer man is amazing with the hammer/nail gig

I have watched this guy's videos for hours

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The absolute efficiency of method and movement

The tricks he uses so he's not always reaching for his tape or set square, but still getting perfect measurements and angles - just amazing
And all done on the fly
The production must have been nuts

i'd previously slabbed under the window in the bay with insulated board, and got someone who knows what they're doing to skim it. this evening's work was refitting skirting board. thankfully, a neighbour had given me a good lot he'd kept - so it was a case of cutting almost all the way through it, so it 'hinged' on the bit i hadn't cut, allowing me to bend it.
the screws are temporary, just to snug it to the wall while the no more nails cures.

PXL_20240222_202805218.jpg

i'd previously slabbed under the window in the bay with insulated board, and got someone who knows what they're doing to skim it. this evening's work was refitting skirting board. thankfully, a neighbour had given me a good lot he'd kept - so it was a case of cutting almost all the way through it, so it 'hinged' on the bit i hadn't cut, allowing me to bend it.
the screws are temporary, just to snug it to the wall while the no more nails cures.

View attachment 18214
Good stuff

Fill it with wood filler and sand it and paint it?

yep. my neighbour had already painted it; it's how he kept himself busy during lockdown, with a project in mind that he didn't proceed with, as i think it's hard to get that skirting board size now (it's 70 years old)

those handy little plunge circular saws are great for this job. i wish the blade had been a little wide though, would have spared so many cuts - the board would have been able to bend more with a wider kerf.

yep. my neighbour had already painted it; it's how he kept himself busy during lockdown, with a project in mind that he didn't proceed with, as i think it's hard to get that skirting board size now (it's 70 years old)

those handy little plunge circular saws are great for this job. i wish the blade had been a little wide though, would have spared so many cuts - the board would have been able to bend more with a wider kerf.
the stuff that's nearly 1'' thick?
new old stock I presume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back