DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 51K
  • Watchers 4
A lad who bought the latest tenor guitar off me was asking about the possibility of me making an acoustic instrument tuned eadg with sympathetic strings running under the fretboard. I’m thinking a single course octave mandola with 4 sympathetic strings. Also thinking of departing from curves.. meaning I’ve more flexibility in terms of a number of other parameters
IMG_6586.jpeg

As mentioned in the minor complaints thread - I finally have my first maple scarf joint completed bar a bit of planing.
Now all I have to do is cut a 150mm long, 15mm thick chunk off the back of the headstock. I may be gone some time…

IMG_6652.jpeg

Last edited:
Gathering up instruments around the school I work in,we found a few violins falling apart. No doubt cheap beginner ones of course. Some are missing parts and some won't even hold tension on the strings.

Anyone know much about violins would possibly just be a waste of time?

( Take it to the violins thread etc)

No idea. One of them is missing a bridge.
Can't imagine a lot of interest in playing them to be honest. So would be hoping to not be going asking for much money.

And as I say I'm sure they are beginners violins at best.

there's a lad i know who would know several instrument makers/repairers. i could ask him for recommendations, but (based on me knowing nothing about this) i'd say you're looking at a couple of hundred quid, they'd probably regard several as a day's work.

A tale of two routers.. while I got a grown up router over Xmas, I’ve tended to still use my girly trim router for accurate work as I get to grips with how to use the big un. The trim router is underpowered, but with a bit of patience will work, but absolutely shat itself when faced with cutting a channel in the maple, and bucked all over the shop. I then set up the big router and it sailed through the remainder. Lesson learned. It looks like shit, but rod is well centered and fairly snug, so while I’ll have to pack it it won’t cause any functional problems
IMG_6663.jpeg IMG_6662.jpeg

I nealy always use them with guiding of some sort now but yes the 1200w one does want to walk sometimes. I have not seen my calipers for a few weeks and this did slow down the spice rack project slightly.

Been starting to look at the smaller ones with curiousty now but i'm only going in on one if it's a second hand get lucky on adverts type deal. I'd prefer if the one i have had height that isn't adjusted largely by fighting with an industrial spring mechanism. Other ones have a screw like 'volume control' for that.

I nealy always use them with guiding of some sort now but yes the 1200w one does want to walk sometimes. I have not seen my calipers for a few weeks and this did slow down the spice rack project slightly.

Been starting to look at the smaller ones with curiousty now but i'm only going in on one if it's a second hand get lucky on adverts type deal. I'd prefer if the one i have had height that isn't adjusted largely by fighting with an industrial spring mechanism. Other ones have a screw like 'volume control' for that.

I used both with a guide, but the guide on the trim router is a bit flimsy, hence the jumping. The guide it has for trimming/cutting an edge channel works great - but it's not designed for horsing out channels or cavities in hardwood in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back